Thread: Suggestion: Djed Spence
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2022, 10:43 AM

Eagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringbackShipps View Post
Interested to see what we do with the right back position. PV plays Wardy pretty narrow and I am not sure yet if that's him utilising the strengths of his existing players, or whether it's a natural part of his system to almost form a back three at times and allow the extra midfielder the freedom to operate in the space on the right, whilst also pushing TM up on the left.

If it's system-based then I guess we'll have very specific requirements about the skill set required for the role. Not so much a flying full-back but rather a more athletic version of Wardy that can contribute going forwards when needed, but mainly is tactically and defensively aware enough to know how to play that role. Looking on paper you'd think Nathan Ferguson is a perfect fit for it if he can get fit. I haven't seen enough of Spence to know if he's that kind of player.
I agree about Ward going narrow from RB and becoming a RCB and us forming a back 3 in possession. However, I think we do this because Ward is a defensive RB and Ayew covers the entire right flank.

If we replace Ayew with Olise next season then I think we’ll need a more attacking RB to help dominate the right side. And instead have a DM in the Kouyate mould that drops back to form a back 3 with Andersen and Guehi, with 2 from Hughes/McArthur/new CM playing as the 2 no.8s

This will allow Olise and whoever is playing on the other side (Wilf? Eze?) to get more central and closer to goal and in support of the central forward (Edouard?). Because right now Ayew essentially plays as a wing-back in the current system with Ward but Olise should be utilised further forward IMO.

Last edited by Eagle96; 10-01-2022 at 10:46 AM.