View Single Post
Old 15-08-2011, 03:15 PM
War Chief

Cleon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCleon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCleon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCleon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCleon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCleon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCleon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCleon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCleon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCleon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCleon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlerhorst
Um, Trott and KP did have to spend time in the UK before qualifying, irrespective of their one English parent, as did Kieswetter and Stephen Moore. I think you need 3 years residency to qualify in those circumstances. All had their main cricket development in South Africa.

Meaker and Dernbach have been here since before their teens, like Strauss and Prior. That's a bit different.
I think that's more to do with ECB promoting County Cricket - certainly Trott always held a British passport, which would usually be sufficient to play for England. I don't dispute that KP & Trott had the majority of their cricket development in SA, but I'm not sure what point you are trying to make - or is Cesc Fabregas now more English than Spanish as the majority of his development has been in London?

My point is that if a player has English parents/grandparents then I find criticism of them for playing for England to be churlish, especially when they have come a place where a substantial number of Brits have emigrated to in the recent past. Were England seriously thinking of giving a cap to Manuel Almunia on the other hand.......

"You're just part of everything that's happened to us tonight... and it's all bad"