View Single Post
Old 14-10-2019, 08:38 AM
Wasn't me

Oisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post
Another reason in hindsight to label David Cameron quite simply the biggest utter irresponsible tit to have ever held the PM office; he was one of those that strongly supported Turkey’s EU membership attempt.

My family are Greek Cypriot, so trying desperately not to be partisan; but have watched with more than a raised eyebrow over the years how Britain have slowly ‘accepted’ the illegal state of Northern Cyprus and even made it a lovely little holiday resort for our people.
I’m not sure if that stands up
Firstly support for Turkey’s close alignment with the EU dates back at least to Blair, if not before

Secondly, although not a Turkey expert, there is surely some evidence to suggest the prospect of EU membership, not matter how distant, acted as a carrot towards Erdogan and its withdrawal has partly led to his more erratic behaviour. And the reason Turkey has far less prospect of starting accession is because of the French position. You may have noticed the UK has been naval gazing rather than playing a role in foreign affairs.

Thirdly two geopolitical events that have had nothing to do with the UK have strengthened Erdogan. Trump’s election and his attempts to downgrade NATO have led to the US no longer being willing or able to constrain Turkey. The Syrian crisis and Turkey’s role in hosting two million refugees give him leverage over the EU.

The UK just isn’t a significant or credible international player at the moment.