View Single Post
Old 14-10-2019, 01:30 PM

cockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oisin View Post
The fate of so many displaced young male Syrians is to end up as mercenaries in an endless war. Turkey is probably hiring any Sunni Arab that will take the pay. I have no doubt there are former Islamist militia amongst them. And I’m sure there’s plenty of people who have fought for Al-Nursra and the SDF as the career options aren’t that great when you’ve been ethically cleansed and live in a war zone.
Sadly a lot of truth in this.

I think the Syrian Revolution was like the Spanish civil war of our time. A mass outpouring for democracy and liberty, and the FSA, albeit in a flawed way, represented this for a time.

Obviously the progressive forces in Spain were more left wing, but both were crushed by fascism (Assad and Franco), and in both cases international powers either stood by and let it happen or actively took part in the oppression and counter revolution (Russia/Iran and Germany/Italy, and the USSR in a different way, but still totally reactionary).