View Single Post
Old 15-10-2019, 05:34 AM
Wasn't me

Oisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedgetail View Post

The opposition to the Assad regime has been largely Sunni extremist from the start. Democratic forces in Syria have never been anything but minor players. This is the dirtiest war in my lifetime as there is no significant "good" side apart from the Kurds.

Iím not a Syrian expert but I have lived in the Middle East 13 years and my impression from talking to Syrians before and after the war is that this is incorrect. Of course the sort of Syrian you meet down the pub in Dubai isnít an Islamist but itís hard not to think that just as in Iraq it was the civil war that radicalized people rather than radicalization that led to the civil war.

Syria suffered massively from the establishment of an Islamist haven in Iraq. The biggest single reason for the explosion of Islamic terrorism is the American led invasion of Iraq to defeat Islamic terrorism. That ended up turning two largely secular countries into hotbeds of Islamic extremism.