Thread: Luke Dreher
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2019, 11:39 PM
Jolene Jolene Jolene...

Woosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is hereWoosie Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glɑzier View Post
Thanks for the info. I don't think we can read a great into 5 minutes against a tiring Bournemoth, so this is a lot more illuminating.

Do you know why training with the first team is preferred to a loan? Perhaps because of injuries etc and they want to ease him into regular football?
No worries.

I'm not entirely sure why training with the first team is preferred to a loan but they did it with Bissaka, they're doing it with Tyrick Mitchell (although he is yet to train as regularly with the first team) and that is, I understand, the general policy for young players.

I think it's because the idea is that you get used to training with the best players you can, in a formation and set-up that is used by the first team, you're in that environment so you get used to being a 'first team' player, it beds you in. If you go out on loan there are a lot of variables that cannot be controlled, the quality of the training, the chances of actually playing, obviously the standard of football in matches that you do end up playing in (for Dreher, you're looking at League One at best if he goes out on loan).

Southampton (admittedly to varying degrees of success) were able to utilise this kind of thing really well, the likes of Sam Gallagher, Ryan Seager, James Ward-Prowse and others all debuted in the Premier League (several have now gone out on loan though) without any move away. Spurs prefer it as well.

My personal preference is that players should play senior football early on in their careers. There's little that Luke Dreher will learn from U23 football anymore, he's too good for it. But then, being with the first team will help him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregz41 View Post
He certainly looks like a ball playing midfielder. What are his strengths and weaknesses? Really liked what I saw against Valencia, it would be great to see more cameos like the one he made today.
His strengths are what you've seen today and against Fulham/Valencia. He's a ball-playing midfielder with good passing, awareness and vision. He doesn't tend to run with the ball, he tends to pass it. His weaknesses are probably less obvious, but I'd say his physique - not yet got the right build (but is 21 in November), and maybe defensively he's weaker than he is attacking but he's not a defensive minded midfielder.

If we can winter this one out, we can summer anywhere

Last edited by Woosie; 12-05-2019 at 11:41 PM.