View Single Post
Old 23-02-2019, 01:03 PM
Old and jaded

davech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granada allover View Post
Perhaps the game I remember most of all (for all the wrong reasons) was home against Oxford. Such a dirty team (Woodruff came off with a broken collar bone, I think) and some shocking refereeing decisions meant it ended up 1-1, with our missing chance after chance to win it. Plus ša change...

Next day I walked past the wooden hoardings outside what was to become the Arthur, to see a proto-fatwa 'Death to Burtenshaw' (the ref) painted up in huge black letters. It's how we all felt for days afterwards.
As a slight aside, Burtenshaw seemed to like to court controversy. He once sent off George Best (for backchat, I believe) and was proud of his stand. In his autobiography, "Whose Side Are You On ,Ref", he recounts the story of how a small boy came into his corner shop the Monday after, saying "You are the one who sent off George Best. I hate you. I'm never coming in your shop again". And apparently he never did.