View Single Post
Old 29-12-2018, 11:11 AM

ExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granada allover View Post
What a find! Byrne in his pomp. I started watching in March 63, just after the great man was sold to West Ham. Such was the hysteria that 11000 turned up for his first game back, a friendly against Leicester I think in 1967. I can still see him standing on the centre circle about to kick off and thinking - it's really him. Though it really wasn't, even though, for months, we willed him to put in a performance like this one against Oldham. They always said, in his heyday, he was one step ahead of his team-mates and you can see it here. Great balance, will o' the wisp turns and a thunderous shot, on a glue-pot of a pitch. Leaves you misty-eyed.
In the days when players could be found in pubs before a game, a good mate of mine, as a 16/17 old went up to Bryne during his second spell, as he supped a pint, and told him in no uncertain terms that he was shit. They arranged to meet outside the ground after the game. My mate turned up , Bryne did not.