View Single Post
Old 29-12-2018, 02:06 PM

LN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by pallet View Post
I have a constant argument with mrs pallet. She reckons that leaving the hot water and heating on contstant is cheaper than having them on a timer and hence using more power to heat from cold. Help??
This debate is a constant on the net about whethere you should leave the hot water tank heating or house heating constantly or turn it off when not needed. I think the general consensus is that it's better to leave it running (at least on an eco or away setting) which is what I do. I asked my heating engineer this summer about putting in a wi fi switch or timer on the immersion?. He said that it would hardly be worth it firstly as he believed that turning it off would be more expensive and secondly as it was on Economy 7 it only came on during those cheaper night hours so a timer would be pointless? He did warm to a wifi on off switch as I am often out at short notice but didnt know of anything at the time that could handle the power.

I have a Nest wifi thermostat which is really good and is supposed to learn how your house heats up and then turns the heating down when you are away. I like the convenience and remote control ability but whether it saves money I've never really dug back to find out. Price rises and an erratic shift pattern will probably disguise any savings although Nest keep telling I'm making great savings ! I also had a smart meter put in last Summer although they had had a bad press I have had few issues mainly just the display disconnecting the signal to the meter. I tend to use it just to check I havent left anything running as i walk out the front door.

Last edited by LN1; 29-12-2018 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Added a bit