View Single Post
Old 10-02-2019, 09:35 AM

scissors10 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minescissors10 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minescissors10 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minescissors10 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minescissors10 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minescissors10 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minescissors10 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minescissors10 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minescissors10 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minescissors10 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minescissors10 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeKing View Post
I would've agreed with this if I hadn't seen his spell as Liverpool and England manager. I think Roy is brilliant for maximising performance from limited talent. He can generally get performances from limited teams that are greater than the sum of its parts, and I think this was largely the reason for the teams improvement post De Boer in credit to him. Players knowing their roles and what was required was what was needed at the time.

For all the positives, he doesn't seem to be the best manager for individual talent. If the talent will fit within his tactical framework then it's fine generally, but Roy most definitely isn't one for changing his tactics to suit the need of an individual player, even if there is the potential to vastly improve the team.

This results in players with maximum ability playing below that ability due to not being played in a way that would benefit them. So people need to realise there is the trade-off. Do we want a manager that's good at working with limited resources, but generally won't adapt his tactics to benefit more technically blessed individuals, but will get a team playing above its level in said circumstances, or one that can start to utilise the more abundant talent we're starting to find ourselves with.

I sit in the Roy in camp for now at least, even with said trade-offs. I do believe that this squad is talented enough though, and is underperforming to a degree due to the tactical rigidity imposed upon it. Whether you get a manager that would truly maximise the teams potential is the massive gamble though, because you know what you get with Roy. Not an easy choice to replace him.
well said