View Single Post
Old 06-11-2018, 04:26 PM

Yoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek View Post
Thatcher hated football - and almost introduced ID cards for football. But Hillsborough rather changed the narrative, so I think Maz is right that there was all party support to implement the findings of the Taylor report. (I may be wrong, but I think that's also what killed off ID cards.)
There was huge pressure on government and football to implement the recommendations of Lord Justice Taylorís report at that time, and it was supported across govt.

Interestingly, his recommendation wasnít really anti-standing as such, but that every spectator should have a designated seat. This was to control numbers more accurately and prevent overcrowding. The new rail seating initiative could well still meet his advice...but would need to remain one seat/space per person, as others have said.

His other recommendations also included the introduction of better turnstiles to help control the flow of fans and ensure that tickets were checked. This helps make any log jams occur outside the ground in the concourses and streets, where there should be more space to cope with crowd flow. People tend to focus on the standing issue, but the report did help change more than that.

Hillsborough was an awful combination of issues, and whilst itís true that the fences prevented swift evacuation, the organisers/authorities were also at fault for not correctly supervising the flow of the crowd outside and inside the ground.