View Single Post
Old 18-09-2019, 03:36 PM
Only One Dougie Freedman

GrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyTKid View Post
But you are giving no wiggle room to the other side of the argument. It’s also fact that we have survived all our other seasons in the premier league without Benteke scoring goals. Given that, surely it is reasonable to think that if we had spent that £30m in another fashion we could have stayed up. We stayed up last season with a record points total and Benteke scored 1 goal. It’s not fair to just say take 15 goals out of that team in that season and we would have gone down. Football doesn’t work in that way. We could have spent £30m on two midfielders who scored 8 goals each or a defender who would have made up for the goal shortfall or a forward who scored 5 goals but made us a better team and so we won more points. There is more than one way to skin a cat.
But again, wiggle room is all ifs and buts. Arguing hypotheticals to back up an assertion doesn't actually prove anything. Benteke's replacement could have been better, the alternatives could have been better, if my Aunt had bollox she'd be my uncle etc. but they could have failed, the new midfielders could have scored 1 each, my Aunt doesn't have bollox.

Benteke did score 15, and because of those 15 goals, we stayed up.

Benteke scored 1 last season and we stayed up. Other players chipped in with goals that he didn't. That cannot be argued. Other players did not chip in with an additional 15 goals the season Benteke did. To argue whether someone could have is irrelevant, the fact remains, they didn't.