Thread: Brexit
View Single Post
Old 23-01-2017, 03:48 PM

Hpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by cockneyrebel View Post
Not sure different currencies have much to do with it. Ireland don't have the same currency but I think should keep their FOM rights.

Also people go from Alaska and Hawaii and Puerto Rico to the USA. I think the variation in rates and inequality could well be larger from state to state in the USA than country to country in the EU.

I think it's just as much rubbish that 25 year old plumber from Poland undercuts wages, than a 25 plumber from a poor US state going to a rich US state. Or a poor area of China to a rich area of China.

The thing that will stop companies screwing over workers are strong unions and workers rights. This could have been achieved in a far better way in a global economy across Europe than in one country.
I agree in an ideal Star Trek world kind of way (not taking the piss but could not think of a better way to describe a world with a level playing field).

Ireland is a good example. For years and years there has been emigration from Ireland to the UK with very little recipricol emigration from the UK to Ireland. The Irish used to come over, share a house with multiple occupancy, live off cheap food and undercut the UK worker. This was met with resentment and racism. The UK worker felt that the Irish worker was able to convert their pounds to punts and send the money home to their family. The converted punts were worth more in Ireland and gave his family in Ireland a better way of life than they would have had if daddy had stayed at home. Now the Welsh carpenter still has to pay UK taxes, feed his family and pay his rent with pounds. He can undercut but not to the same extreme. Remember "Irish need not apply"? It was protectionism.

The key to the EU project IMOP was time. Bring the other countries up and the workers will not come en-masse as the push/pull factors would decrease. Over time those countries become wealthier and they buy your goods/services. Everyone wins. The UK (England) traditionally does not respond well to mass immigration. It was really fecking stupid to open the doors and not follow the route of the other original states which gives more TIME for the other states to catch up economically a bit lessening push/pull.

Economically sound but politically stupid given history.