View Single Post
Old 22-09-2019, 09:33 AM

Skin Up Sam the man is hereSkin Up Sam the man is hereSkin Up Sam the man is hereSkin Up Sam the man is hereSkin Up Sam the man is hereSkin Up Sam the man is hereSkin Up Sam the man is hereSkin Up Sam the man is hereSkin Up Sam the man is hereSkin Up Sam the man is hereSkin Up Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by GanbareWashi View Post
Lots of bemused and confused Japanese here in Sapporo. But very friendly as usual. I have to say the beer seving during and before the Oz v Fji game was a joke. Topk over 10 minutes to get served during the game. Also left one bar in Sapporo because it took so long to get seved.

I am sure it will be better in the bigger cities, but lots of thirsty poms and aussies wandering around Susukino last night
Went to the Yokohama fanzone yesterday and it was a bit smoother, only a few minutes to get served even at half time, crowd was 70/30 foreigners to Japanese and one thing I noticed was a large proportion of the staff/volunteers were westerners. Shit loads of Kiwis and Saffers there while the game was on so lots of people have come over without tickets but just want to make a holiday of it, fair play, rugby fans can be a little annoying but they spend so its good for the economy and much needed as the Koreans are in strop no 23453 and boycotting the country.

Today it took a while to get my lunch time pint as every pub was packed with Irish lads (proper ones not the BBS my great, great, great granny brigade) and an awful lot of men wearing skirts.

Even though it has a tad of a niche following (growing year by year tho) there's a strong history of the sport in Japan going back to the 20s when Anglo/Japan relations were high (went tits up a few yrs later). Baseball is the working class sport of choice (especially in the blue collar South) football is popular in the middle of the country where the major cities are and rugby appears to be a university thing most people forget about once they leave although that has gradually been changing.

Last edited by Skin Up; 22-09-2019 at 09:36 AM.