View Single Post
Old 12-10-2019, 03:37 PM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoreditch CPFC View Post
I spent 6 hours in a traffic jam outside LA yesterday. We tried to be clever and go off road in a regular rental car and it nearly worked until a couple of aggressive geezers made us turn back despite almost rejoining the highway. I think they thought we were spying on their oil and gas properties!

Does anyone have a view on whether the enforced power cuts have reduced the fires this year or has it made little difference?
I think at least down here the enforced power outages came too late. The fire(s) going on north of LA at this time apparently started near a power pylon and during high winds. Not official, but from eye witness reports.

To answer Bubbs11's question, it's hard to blame this (or any other) on climate change. They are basically a fact of life in Southern California. Long hot dry summers which are normal, followed by strong Santa Ana winds in early autumn are a recipe for danger. It is colloquially know as Fire Season.

Many of the fires are started by car fires by the side of the freeways that spread to the foliage at the side of the road, or by homeless people camping in the dry river beds.

Winds have definitely died down this morning, but now the air smells very acrid with smoke... not sure if I should go out riding my bike in this air.