Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic The Politics Forum

Notices

The Politics Forum Discussions that are wholly or mainly concerned with UK politics

View Poll Results: Who would you vote for?
Rebecca Long Bailey 8 9.30%
Jess Phillips 19 22.09%
Keir Starmer 38 44.19%
Lisa Nandy 16 18.60%
Emily Thornberry 5 5.81%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Old 14-01-2020, 03:15 PM

Johnybegood Sam the man is hereJohnybegood Sam the man is hereJohnybegood Sam the man is hereJohnybegood Sam the man is hereJohnybegood Sam the man is hereJohnybegood Sam the man is hereJohnybegood Sam the man is hereJohnybegood Sam the man is hereJohnybegood Sam the man is hereJohnybegood Sam the man is hereJohnybegood Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenalin john View Post
My views, through the prism of personal prejudice, media slant and direct speeches, stetements and House of Commons performances.

RLB - just no, seems dogmatic rather than intelligent, charisma free, doesn't present well. Weak, inexperienced just doesn't get large parts of the real world.

Jess Philips - hard not to like her, seems like the sort you could have a passionate but fun and lively debate with in the pub, and as an MP someone to rely on to help. But leader? Just don't see it.

Keir Starmer - I like him. I like his libertarian and humanitarian approach. He bridges the liberal and labour divide and seems more practical than dogmatic. He also has the intellectual capacity, attention to detail and skill set to be an excellent Prime Minister. However can he lead the party, can he cut through to all sections of the public? He appeals to me but even I have long wanted him to break out of the constrained shell he seems to wear. Time will tell. However if you think he only became an MP in 2015, if his star continues to rise at the same rate he could be quite the leader by 2024. He has put in one the most impressive (to me) HoC performances ever.

Lisa N - She is the candidate I know the least about, and therefore won't vote until I have seen what the fuss is about. She definitely seems to be impressing some but to date has passed me by. Looking forward to seeing her with Andrew Neil. The only downside is Eddysklad seems in love with her, and the thought the BBS's own Andy Pandy having a Nandy hand-shandy is off putting in the extreme.

Thornberry - Seems the archetypal competent minor cabinet minister, who just doesn't have the magnetism, dynamism or intellect to go further.
Hard to disagree with any of this
Old 14-01-2020, 03:23 PM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnybegood View Post
Hard to disagree with any of this
I was thinking the same. However I know AJ to be a bourgeois metropolitan liberal pettifogger, like me.
Old 14-01-2020, 03:26 PM

Johnybegood Sam the man is hereJohnybegood Sam the man is hereJohnybegood Sam the man is hereJohnybegood Sam the man is hereJohnybegood Sam the man is hereJohnybegood Sam the man is hereJohnybegood Sam the man is hereJohnybegood Sam the man is hereJohnybegood Sam the man is hereJohnybegood Sam the man is hereJohnybegood Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Aguila View Post
I was thinking the same. However I know AJ to be a bourgeois metropolitan liberal pettifogger, like me.
I must be the same, plus I am a sanctimonious veggie when I get bored
Old 14-01-2020, 04:49 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Stellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is here
Quote:
It's worse than that. You are a dago bourgeois Metropolitan liberal pettifogger. Next time you land at Heathrow, I am demanding that they go full rubber glove on your arse.
Old 14-01-2020, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellavista View Post
It's worse than that. You are a dago bourgeois Metropolitan liberal pettifogger. Next time you land at Heathrow, I am demanding that they go full rubber glove on your arse.
Ooh is that another fantasy vice I have in common with ElAguila
Old 14-01-2020, 05:02 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Stellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is here
Quote:
He's in the music business, so he has an excuse. Odds on.
Old 14-01-2020, 11:55 PM

Richard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is here
Well, page 2 of this thread is much more entertaining than page 1.

I have voted for Emily Thornberry. Although possibly not from the best motives.
Old 15-01-2020, 12:06 AM

GorBlimey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGorBlimey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGorBlimey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGorBlimey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGorBlimey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGorBlimey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGorBlimey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGorBlimey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGorBlimey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGorBlimey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGorBlimey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
I have voted for Emily Thornberry. Although possibly not from the best motives.

Guilty fancies thread surely?
Old 15-01-2020, 12:28 AM

Eagle-Eyes : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEagle-Eyes : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEagle-Eyes : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEagle-Eyes : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEagle-Eyes : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEagle-Eyes : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEagle-Eyes : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEagle-Eyes : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEagle-Eyes : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEagle-Eyes : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineEagle-Eyes : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I have voted for Emily Thornberry too. She will ensure that the Conservatives stay in power for the next election and beyond. Do your worst, Emily!!
Old 15-01-2020, 12:30 AM

adrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is here
Quote:
the description par-fits m'lud, urbane and of moral incertitude we be.

But despite the erstwhile bourgeois heritage in commune and facisimle of louth, I a pettigogger of insouciance may be, but thee are surely less frockless minister of law and more impresario of insignificance.
Old 15-01-2020, 12:34 AM

adrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is here
Quote:
The spanish inquisition in the digital age, rubber-wrapped.
Old 15-01-2020, 09:56 AM

Blimey, I was in my cups last night
Old 15-01-2020, 10:05 AM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
No doubt an excellent vintage.
Is Rebecca Long Bailey going to be Labour's Ian Duncan Smith? Ideologically right on message for members, less than agile intellectually, surfeit of surnames? I hope not because I think Labour can have great success this decade if they get this choice right, but I can certainly see a way for her to win.
Old 15-01-2020, 10:43 AM

Harry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is here
Problem for labour is the choice of leader needs to be arrived at by forward thinking and intelligence not by dogma. Another Miliband or Corbyn moment (decent bloke's but not leaders) will cost them dear.

In my view its time for a female leader who is articulate and can bind the various strands together. Thornberry would be a disaster and Philips is Dennis Skinner in a dress.
Old 15-01-2020, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Is Rebecca Long Bailey going to be Labour's Ian Duncan Smith? Ideologically right on message for members, less than agile intellectually, surfeit of surnames? I hope not because I think Labour can have great success this decade if they get this choice right, but I can certainly see a way for her to win.
Interesting comparison.

IDS who has done **** all in life apart from marry well, was very popular with the old Tory women who have done **** all in life except marry well.
His main message was let's savage those who are doing **** all in life, be it their fault or not. Presumably because they haven't married well.

While IDS appeals to the blue rinse brigade, RLB seems to appeal to the short speckled grey of McCluskey. She has never run anything, let alone created value. Her main message seems to be to attack those that have whether they are beneficial to the country or not.

Good comparison indeed.
Old 15-01-2020, 11:24 AM

steeleye20 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsteeleye20 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsteeleye20 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsteeleye20 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsteeleye20 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsteeleye20 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsteeleye20 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsteeleye20 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsteeleye20 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsteeleye20 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsteeleye20 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
It's a shame there is no Stalinist candidate here as I would have felt obliged to vote for them.
Old 15-01-2020, 12:02 PM

cockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is herecockneyrebel Sam the man is here
Why does Nandy have a permanent look on her face that she is trying to look oh so sincere and maybe burst in to tears?

Quote:
She will criticise Labour Remainers for failing to argue for the UK's place in the world, beyond the EU, saying that the right hailed the UK as a “small nation with a proud history of punching above our weight”. We've paid lip service to our proud internationalist history.
What proud internationalist history is that? Colonialism? One of the most brutal colonial rules ever seen in human history?

Also given the big majority of Labour was/is pro Remain maybe not a great idea to take this line.
Old 15-01-2020, 02:39 PM

Harry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is here
If nothing else is taken from the last election, Labour had better understand that in choosing a leader they have appoint some one who has the potential to be a prime minister.

Who ever they choose the press will be at them because that is the number one Tory policy. Fairness is not even a consideration,choose the wrong person and the Tories who are not constrained by morality, proven already by their choice of Johnson will look for any weakness in an opponent.
Old 15-01-2020, 02:55 PM
Middle class left.

Nandy seems to be showing she's got what it takes in her speech and press conference today. She's not afraid to stand up for what she believes in. Not sure all the people suggesting the Labour leader shouldn't care about the nasty stuff foreign governments get up to will be too pleased with her stance on Russia, Saudi Arabia and the USA, mind. But she's impressed me.
Old 15-01-2020, 03:00 PM

Mr_Gristle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr_Gristle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr_Gristle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr_Gristle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr_Gristle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr_Gristle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr_Gristle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr_Gristle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr_Gristle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr_Gristle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMr_Gristle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Voted Starmer (just) over Nandy, who I would want as his deputy if he wins.

I think Lisa N needs to serve a bit of a front-line apprenticeship, before being a credible voting choice for all the recent non-Labour voters that the party would need to win back. Maybe she'll be ready by the time of the next election following a safe-pair-of-hands job by Starmer in the meantime?