Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 18-02-2020, 03:11 AM
Chubby Chops balls drop

redandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden Eagle View Post
Just listened to the podcast version of the show and he did mention his time at Palace, how great he thought the Palace fans were (especially the away followers) and how he never asked to leave Palace or instigated a move. I read this in his book - He turned up to training, got told to go and see Coppell and Steve told him, the Club had accepted an offer for him from Arsenal. His best mate, David Rocastle was at the Gooners and they had won their 2nd title in 3 years, so he was always likely to move.
He claims in his book, that he was so pleased to joining them, he didn't originally get much more, salary wise, that he was on, at Palace. Didn't blame him at all, for leaving and was only a bit disappointed he didn't really thank our Club, when he first left.
But certainly not an excuse, for the abuse he got, whenever he returned to Selhurst Park.
Umm not quite true he mentioned that Ron Noades offered to double his money to stay another season but he wanted to go to arsenal for £700 a week more which he could not tell his wife as it would have been far more to stay at palace.

I started going I 84 rarely missed a game home or away from 85 until about 93 yes he was amazing kissing the badge showed a lack of class and to me treated us with contempt. I think he is a massive cock and all he goes on about is arsenal great player when at palace when left he became another football player not a palace player of no significance to me.
"And then when it was all over, a thousand Palace fans stayed on to applaud their side's warm-down and the strains of Glad All Over crashed out across Selhurst. Daft little tune .......brave little team"

Sunday Mail 7/11/2004 after 1-1 with Arsenal
Old 18-02-2020, 03:13 AM

HRP Sam the man is hereHRP Sam the man is hereHRP Sam the man is hereHRP Sam the man is hereHRP Sam the man is hereHRP Sam the man is hereHRP Sam the man is hereHRP Sam the man is hereHRP Sam the man is hereHRP Sam the man is hereHRP Sam the man is here
Someone please move this thread to the world of football section
Old 18-02-2020, 05:02 AM
Setting sail.

TAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is here
Why?

End of the day doesn't matter how you feel that he moved, how it happened or what was said after. Without him we wouldn't have half as much success or fun in those years. Life's too short to be bitter.

As posted earlier:

Old 18-02-2020, 05:50 AM

palace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpalace_burger came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRP View Post
I’d rather not
Old 18-02-2020, 06:51 AM

Maiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by redandblue View Post
Umm not quite true he mentioned that Ron Noades offered to double his money to stay another season but he wanted to go to arsenal for £700 a week more which he could not tell his wife as it would have been far more to stay at palace.

I started going I 84 rarely missed a game home or away from 85 until about 93 yes he was amazing kissing the badge showed a lack of class and to me treated us with contempt. I think he is a massive cock and all he goes on about is arsenal great player when at palace when left he became another football player not a palace player of no significance to me.
I'll be honest about it. I'd heard we lost 3-0 at Highbury and literally tried to block out it and the relegation as a result. So I never saw the game on MOTD or a re-run since. I knew Wrighty had scored but didn't know he had 'celebrated' in the way, he had. It was mentioned by a few Palace fans, I knew, at the time but because it was the days way before social media, so I wasn't that aware, maybe that was just me.
It was poor behaviour by him but also poor of the Palace fans to give him such abuse, when he left as to me, his only crime was to not mention Palace, when he initially left.
There can't be much doubt about his commitment to the Palace cause, until right to the end. He scored at Oldham on the Saturday (I'm guessing his 4/5th goal of the season in about his 8th game ?) and transferred to the Arsenal 2 days later.
And as for the circumstances of the transfer, as I say, I can only go on what he says in the book - I suspect he was aware of a possible transfer but as above, he kept going 100% for Palace, until he left.
Old 18-02-2020, 06:59 AM
BOOMSHAKALAKA!!!

Latvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is here
There is not a lot to say really other than as a Palace player he is nothing short of a legend. As a person though the bloke is a complete and utter cock.
Old 18-02-2020, 09:35 AM

Don_Rogers : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDon_Rogers : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDon_Rogers : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDon_Rogers : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDon_Rogers : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDon_Rogers : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDon_Rogers : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDon_Rogers : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDon_Rogers : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDon_Rogers : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDon_Rogers : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
My one gripe with Don Rogers is he came to Palace at 27 after playing 400 games for Swindon, and made "only" 70 appearances for Palace in his short spell with the club.

To me it was fun having him for a season and a half, but in my mind he was always a Swindon man, and a tad past his prime (27 being a little older then than it is for the players today IMO).
Yep, he was definitely a Swindon man (last I heard he was running a sports shop there) and that's understandable given the League Cup final against Arsenal. But, as a lad of 15, watching him for that season and a half gave me memories that I still treasure today. Wilf does it too on his day but Don was my first real Glaziers hero.
Old 18-02-2020, 09:46 AM

orp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden Eagle View Post
I'll be honest about it. I'd heard we lost 3-0 at Highbury and literally tried to block out it and the relegation as a result. So I never saw the game on MOTD or a re-run since. I knew Wrighty had scored but didn't know he had 'celebrated' in the way, he had. It was mentioned by a few Palace fans, I knew, at the time but because it was the days way before social media, so I wasn't that aware, maybe that was just me.
It was poor behaviour by him but also poor of the Palace fans to give him such abuse, when he left as to me, his only crime was to not mention Palace, when he initially left.
There can't be much doubt about his commitment to the Palace cause, until right to the end. He scored at Oldham on the Saturday (I'm guessing his 4/5th goal of the season in about his 8th game ?) and transferred to the Arsenal 2 days later.
And as for the circumstances of the transfer, as I say, I can only go on what he says in the book - I suspect he was aware of a possible transfer but as above, he kept going 100% for Palace, until he left.
The Oldam bit is important as I’m sure he celebrated as normal , nothing subdued or a fare well wave to those of us( good numbers up there) in away end.
Old 18-02-2020, 11:20 AM

Don_Rogers : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDon_Rogers : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDon_Rogers : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDon_Rogers : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDon_Rogers : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDon_Rogers : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDon_Rogers : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDon_Rogers : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDon_Rogers : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDon_Rogers : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDon_Rogers : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by orp pisshead1 View Post
Wasn’t it to get Kenny out of trouble with the bookies? Hope he’s ok these days as not seen him locally for quite a while .
Thanks for that Orp. Until now I had never connected the transfer to his gambling problems and had always assumed that it was somehow 'shady'. You're probably right though and it's really sad.
Old 18-02-2020, 11:39 AM
Over Land & Sea

imashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAK View Post
Why?

End of the day doesn't matter how you feel that he moved, how it happened or what was said after. Without him we wouldn't have half as much success or fun in those years. Life's too short to be bitter.

As posted earlier:

Why can't we cross a ball like we did in those days ? Happy days
At the end when they showed wrighty singing when we just got promotion I sware its the arse version of his name ?
Old 18-02-2020, 12:05 PM
jft39

west country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Rogers View Post
Yep, he was definitely a Swindon man (last I heard he was running a sports shop there)...
The shop still exists (on Faringdon Road, if anyone has the misfortune of being in Swindon), but I dunno if he's still actively involved.
Old 18-02-2020, 02:00 PM
like a shot in the dark

CP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by imashed View Post
Why can't we cross a ball like we did in those days ? Happy days
At the end when they showed wrighty singing when we just got promotion I sware its the arse version of his name ?
Great video, I was at all of those matches shown, I drove up to Oldham for what turned out to be his last match for us, I think there were rumours that he might be leaving, but we really didn’t know for sure and it was a massive shock and feeling of dread when he left.

That last bit is definitely dubbed over, Palace fans would always sing ‘Ian Wright, Ian Wright, Ian Wright’ to the famous U.S. Marching tune ‘Stars and Stripes Forever’ as demonstrated here by former Glasgow Rangers man P.Gascoine : To view the link you have to Register or Login

The crappy Arsenal version was to the 1988 hit ‘Feeling hot, hot, hot’ which was obviously long after the much better Palace version, which, for those that don’t know, was also sung for Mark Bright, with the very subtle lyric change of ‘Marky Bright, Marky Bright, Marky Bright’.

Glad I cleared that mystery up for you.
Old 18-02-2020, 02:05 PM
moving forward

art malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is here
Our song for Wright also got louder, ending with a full-blown roar, which was probably highly therapeutic. Of course, all the good he did for our mental health was erased when he left.
Old 18-02-2020, 03:30 PM

dogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is heredogstar721 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friskey View Post
It’s not even close. Wrighty was levels above Wilf (and Wilf is excellent).
Different types of player, but yeah, especially considering how much Ian Wright represents the 'Football Dream' of the everyman.

Wright and Bright... mythical palace.

Freedman and Morrison...

Andy Johnson

Zaha, Bolaise and Murray?
Old 18-02-2020, 03:56 PM

Sick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is here
Just listened to the Desert Islands disc interview, sorry but I can't help but have a soft spot for him.

I guess its because he was the star of the best era in my lifetime, that SC team were brilliant.

Last edited by Sick Bucket; 18-02-2020 at 03:59 PM.
Old 18-02-2020, 04:02 PM
Loosefish Scapegrace

A Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRP View Post
Memory Lane or World of Football - certainly not GPD, unless he is playing for us again? In which case it should still be Transfer Rumours
Old 18-02-2020, 04:04 PM

Sick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAK View Post
Why?

As posted earlier:

If there was any justice in the world we'd have won that cup final, what a story that would've been. Still hurts like hell now.
Old 18-02-2020, 04:10 PM
Pass me the Vongole

Don-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDon-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDon-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDon-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDon-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDon-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDon-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDon-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDon-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDon-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDon-Donovani came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
And to those who say he's disrespected our club, please watch this Youtube interview (in its entirety) for clarification

Old 18-02-2020, 06:28 PM
Glad....All Over!

Crofty Sam the man is hereCrofty Sam the man is hereCrofty Sam the man is hereCrofty Sam the man is hereCrofty Sam the man is hereCrofty Sam the man is hereCrofty Sam the man is hereCrofty Sam the man is hereCrofty Sam the man is hereCrofty Sam the man is hereCrofty Sam the man is here
He wears his heart on his sleeve. He is one of the best players we have ever had. Give him the respect that he has earned.
Old 18-02-2020, 06:45 PM
Glad....All Over!

Crofty Sam the man is hereCrofty Sam the man is hereCrofty Sam the man is hereCrofty Sam the man is hereCrofty Sam the man is hereCrofty Sam the man is hereCrofty Sam the man is hereCrofty Sam the man is hereCrofty Sam the man is hereCrofty Sam the man is hereCrofty Sam the man is here
On the longer version of DI disks he is more forthcoming about his time at Palace and never asking or wanting to leave....folks on here who criticise hm make my blood boil.