Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum

Notices

Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum All things computer, internet, mobile, tablet and video game related.

Old 29-03-2001, 02:36 PM
Bombay Bad Boy

Dave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is here
ADSL is the business

Got ADSL this morning and it's the boll0X de Chien

Throughly reccomended

Anyone else got ADSL?
Old 29-03-2001, 02:53 PM

Kevin T came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKevin T came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKevin T came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKevin T came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKevin T came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKevin T came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKevin T came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKevin T came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKevin T came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKevin T came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKevin T came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
What about the sofa?
Old 29-03-2001, 02:56 PM
Bombay Bad Boy

Dave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin T:
What about the sofa?
Arrived too

Old 29-03-2001, 03:23 PM
South London VfB

Neil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Glad to see its been a productive morning chez Campbell

(Can you pm me the outline details of your deal, when you get a mo' mate, I'm looking into this myself at present, Any hints & tips gratefully received.)
Old 29-03-2001, 03:33 PM
Setting sail.

TAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is here
Had it for a few months now, it's pretty good but has had some horrendous teething problems.
Old 29-03-2001, 04:05 PM
Playing a round

David Murray knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!David Murray knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!David Murray knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!David Murray knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!David Murray knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!David Murray knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!David Murray knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!David Murray knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!David Murray knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!David Murray knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!David Murray knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!
How does it work across and ISDN line ? Is there another black box that is required?
Thought about it for ages now, but couldnt be bothered to take it any further - local ISP is pushing it hard.
Old 29-03-2001, 06:05 PM
Setting sail.

TAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is here
We got free instalation on the first wave, which I think is now 150 and it costs 40 a month for a constant connection.

Old 29-03-2001, 06:06 PM
Bombay Bad Boy

Heres the beef:

I got my ADSL through BT Openworld, btopenworld.com as BT don't really support freeserve or Demon ADSL properly, at leat not until the regulator get's inolved.

Cost is 39 per month. Installation was free as I preregistered.

The main difficulty in getting ADSL is that only 1/3 or all BT exchanges have this capability. It is also dependant on your distance (via cable) from the exchange.

It's fast as hell. I am continually connected at 576,000 BPS my 56k modem connected @ 43,000 KPS. So it is over 10 times as fast.

Installation is fast- 45 minutes. One telephone socket was replaced with a dual socket. One for the USB modem and one for my standard phone line. Then a cable runs from the socket to a green wierd looking modem (looks like a hub) which connects to your PC via a USB connection.

ADSL is constantly connected and you can use your phone at the same time which is cool.

All in all it's very good.
Old 29-03-2001, 06:17 PM

Bud Eagle was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsBud Eagle was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsBud Eagle was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsBud Eagle was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsBud Eagle was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsBud Eagle was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsBud Eagle was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsBud Eagle was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsBud Eagle was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsBud Eagle was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsBud Eagle was in another world, a world of 20,000 girls
Quote:
Originally posted by David Murray:
How does it work across and ISDN line ?
ADSL carries your current phone connection as well as other data, such as your internet connection, across the current phone cabling (and you can use them simultaneously), so no major rewiring is required.

[This message has been edited by Bud Eagle (edited 29 March 2001).]
Old 29-03-2001, 09:32 PM

2can endeavours to be what they aspire to appear2can endeavours to be what they aspire to appear2can endeavours to be what they aspire to appear2can endeavours to be what they aspire to appear2can endeavours to be what they aspire to appear2can endeavours to be what they aspire to appear2can endeavours to be what they aspire to appear2can endeavours to be what they aspire to appear2can endeavours to be what they aspire to appear2can endeavours to be what they aspire to appear2can endeavours to be what they aspire to appear
Sorry, but I have BTOpenWoe and it's crap.

Yeah the speeds are reasonable (but inconsistant - have seen it dip to 1.2k/sec at some times!). I'd say that BTOpenworld's uptime is about 85% which is not good.

The hardware (Alcatel Speedtouch USB) they supply is as unrealiable as hell. Mine has pretty much packed up (although its working at the mo) and I am awaiting a replacement.

They have a transparent web proxy which is unreliable and sometimes corrupts web headers, making some sites not work. Non-HTTP port 80 traffic does not work because of this proxy.

Game playing is impossible - stick to a 56k for that. The lag is unbelievable.

Tips I have:
Don't bother with technical support if you have any problems - they're terrible.
Connect early in the morning and leave it on all day - otherwise there's no guarantee of getting on.
Re-install the drivers at least every month.
Old 30-03-2001, 05:44 AM
and this is what he said

Ash Sam the man is hereAsh Sam the man is hereAsh Sam the man is hereAsh Sam the man is hereAsh Sam the man is hereAsh Sam the man is hereAsh Sam the man is hereAsh Sam the man is hereAsh Sam the man is hereAsh Sam the man is hereAsh Sam the man is here
Getting soon. Be nice to get rid of IzzzzzzzDN
Old 30-03-2001, 05:55 AM
Watching The Reserves Again

arussell was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsarussell was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsarussell was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsarussell was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsarussell was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsarussell was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsarussell was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsarussell was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsarussell was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsarussell was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsarussell was in another world, a world of 20,000 girls
Cost etc Dave ??

BTW - I seem to remember you were putting it down a while ago in favour of cable modems mate !!!
Old 31-03-2001, 04:14 PM
Setting sail.

That's odd, I've got Openworld and it was ****e for the for its first month, it was down more than not, due to some major problems with the first batch of Alcatel modems but thats sorted now. Haven't had any gripes since then, fast as you like (obviously not a T1), tech support helpful, when needed and can connect without trouble anytime of day.

Must admit I haven't tried playing games on it though.
Old 31-03-2001, 04:40 PM

2can endeavours to be what they aspire to appear2can endeavours to be what they aspire to appear2can endeavours to be what they aspire to appear2can endeavours to be what they aspire to appear2can endeavours to be what they aspire to appear2can endeavours to be what they aspire to appear2can endeavours to be what they aspire to appear2can endeavours to be what they aspire to appear2can endeavours to be what they aspire to appear2can endeavours to be what they aspire to appear2can endeavours to be what they aspire to appear
I had posted the following on another ADSL thread, though I think it was deleted because I had turned it into another "Lets slag off BT" thread.

BT are now refusing to replace my faulty ADSL modem, claiming the problem lies with my motherboard. They seem to ignore the fact that it worked fine 2 weeks ago (with an identical setup) and the same thing happens when I plug it into a powered USB hub (the problem is, BTW, intermittent switching off). They are even refusing to send round a technician to test it. The BT support staff are incredibly patronising and badly trained in Public Relations-they sound as if they can't care less. Oh yeah, and it seems as if most would struggle to find the power switch on a computer, let alone fix one.
Old 31-03-2001, 04:49 PM
Bombay Bad Boy

Quote:
Originally posted by 2can:
I had posted the following on another ADSL thread, though I think it was deleted because I had turned it into another "Lets slag off BT" thread.
To view the link you have to Register or Login

<RANT>

I'm sorry 2can but this really pisses me off. People can't be arsed to look for their their posts so they immediately assume that it has been deleted by the BBS moderators because we have some type of hidden agenda.

I really wish people would just look in the forums properly rather than slag off the moderators who do a fantastic job.

Moderators rarely remove threads. There are 156073 posts in the forums at the moment. I don't think we would have reached that total if the moderators deleted half the threads they are accused of.

</Rant>

Old 01-04-2001, 05:55 AM

I'm not slagging you off! You had every right to delete it!

I assumed that it was in the General Discussion so I did a search for it in there, and it wasn't there!

I think you're being a bit harsh.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by 2can on 31 March 2001 at 12:58</font>
Old 04-04-2001, 03:35 PM
Lovely

brighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by Bud Eagle:
ADSL carries your current phone connection as well as other data, such as your internet connection, across the current phone cabling (and you can use them simultaneously), so no major rewiring is required.

[This message has been edited by Bud Eagle (edited 29 March 2001).]
Actually, this isn't quite true. ADSL WILL NOT work if you have had your line coverted to ISDN. You will have to have it changed back again, and then have the ADSL fitted.

Its good though

Old 06-04-2001, 05:43 AM
Slightly Unstable

Location: A spherical nickel-iron alloy in the middle of a nothingness of unknown quantity
Santos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is hereSantos-er Sam the man is here
150 for installation? bollox, why can't the f*ckers just send the kit and let me do it myself?

i'll hang on for a few months... oftel told BT it had to be made available to other telecom co.s by the end of this month.
Old 06-04-2001, 06:33 AM
Lone Coyote

Steve in Phoenix : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSteve in Phoenix : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSteve in Phoenix : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSteve in Phoenix : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSteve in Phoenix : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSteve in Phoenix : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSteve in Phoenix : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSteve in Phoenix : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSteve in Phoenix : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSteve in Phoenix : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSteve in Phoenix : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
BT are the WORST customer support ever.

One time I called..waited in the queue 15 mins or so, the guy said he would go and read the manual and that he would be back after 5 mins.. after my explanation of the problem (I know what Im talking about). Im on hold for 20 mins on an expensive number and he never comes back.

Pissed off I call the number again wait in the bloody queue and explain to the problem to another who says its difficult to fix which is probably why the original one left me to rot.
Old 06-04-2001, 01:39 PM

Kevin T came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKevin T came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKevin T came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKevin T came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKevin T came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKevin T came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKevin T came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKevin T came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKevin T came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKevin T came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKevin T came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
BT were supposed to turn off their old 9.99 phone lines last week. I can't upgrade cuz I don't have a BT line, so rang last night to find out the new local rate number for pay as you go. Extremely helpful man told me that the old 0800 hadn't actually been turned off yet. Not only that, but they are leaving it on 24/7 so am now connecting at the moment for free