Home | Forums | Galleries | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Other Sport » World of Football » World Cup 2018

Notices

World Cup 2018 World Cup Forum

Old 29-06-2018, 06:05 AM

Reg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is here
We have a chance because it's a world cup with three matches now to the final and not a world league
Old 29-06-2018, 06:25 AM

Yoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek View Post
But whichever of Japan, Senegal or Colombia win their group will be harder to beat than the team which comes second. And if we don't win our last 16 match, it doesn't really matter who we might have played in the quarter final.
Not necessarily so, given we’re now in the knock out stage of one-off matches.

Japan beat Columbia in their first match, but then finished beneath them in the group. So I don’t think there’s much difference between those two teams.

England have rested some key players, and therefore also avoided injuries and yellow cards that might have occurred against Belgium. So we’ll go into the next match with a pretty full squad to choose from.

I expect any country that we meet from now on to be strong and our best chance of success rests with being able to pick our key players. If they then don’t turn out to be good enough, then so be it and Gareth’s done the best he could with the players at his disposal.
Old 29-06-2018, 06:27 AM

dougie87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdougie87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdougie87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdougie87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdougie87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdougie87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdougie87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdougie87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdougie87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdougie87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdougie87 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Right side of the draw. Key players rested . 2018 the year the World Cup came home.
Old 29-06-2018, 06:30 AM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reg_Maudling View Post
We have a chance because it's a world cup with three matches now to the final and not a world league
The thing is that teams only win knock out games against sides with better players, on account of tactical genius or extraordinary depths of self belief. So insofar as there are 16 teams with a chance, England do have a chance. I wouldn’t put it much higher than that.
Old 29-06-2018, 06:55 AM

LuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLuieJack came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I said when the squad for the World Cup was announced, it was more one that was being prepared for the 2022 tournament. But in fairness the team have performed well as could have been expected, and as long as you have a goalscorer anything is possible so i see us progressing into the Semi's due to a favorable draw, and that was something i did not think previously was possible after then anything is possible.
For me what yesterdays game showed was our reserve strength is lacking when we make wholesome changes. As for our system, the Keeper situ we have to accept is our weak area currently due to inexperience but haveto stick with Pickford, in defence personally i am not 100% sure we are at our best with a Back Three and would prefer to see Walker and Trippier drop back doing what they do best supporting Stones and Maguire, and with Dier "sitting"giving the Back Four that extra protection. The Midfield when all are fit iwould go with Lingard,Henderson,Alli,Sterling and with Kane upfront as he plays the lone striker role superbly and with that midfield in support there is lots of goalscoring potential in support.
Old 29-06-2018, 07:11 AM
Wondering why it matters!

Martin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Not necessarily so, given we’re now in the knock out stage of one-off matches.

Japan beat Columbia in their first match, but then finished beneath them in the group. So I don’t think there’s much difference between those two teams.

England have rested some key players, and therefore also avoided injuries and yellow cards that might have occurred against Belgium. So we’ll go into the next match with a pretty full squad to choose from.

I expect any country that we meet from now on to be strong and our best chance of success rests with being able to pick our key players. If they then don’t turn out to be good enough, then so be it and Gareth’s done the best he could with the players at his disposal.
Columbia played virtually all that match with 10 men didn't they (very early red card) and so you can probably discount it as meaningful either way?

To me Columbia looks a team that can string a few individual magic moments together and can probably turn over most teams on their day but don't have the strength/organisation to go a great deal further. Japan have a flaky GK, very disciplined and a couple of OK players but very hard working and don't give up. Again I can't see them going much further.
Old 29-06-2018, 07:34 AM
Doing nothing is a choice

firesign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is here
Playing Colombia means that we’re the last game in the round of 16 so it means we can enjoy watching all the other games with no stress
Old 29-06-2018, 07:46 AM

Reg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is hereReg_Maudling Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Aguila View Post
The thing is that teams only win knock out games against sides with better players, on account of tactical genius or extraordinary depths of self belief. So insofar as there are 16 teams with a chance, England do have a chance. I wouldn’t put it much higher than that.
I agree and in general better teams are more likely to win one off cup games than lose them but also there is so much luck involved in who wins single matches
Old 29-06-2018, 01:24 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Stellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reg_Maudling View Post
I agree and in general better teams are more likely to win one off cup games than lose them but also there is so much luck involved in who wins single matches
Or Clattenc*nt is the ref..
Old 29-06-2018, 01:30 PM
Ex-Connecticut

CT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuieJack View Post
I said when the squad for the World Cup was announced, it was more one that was being prepared for the 2022 tournament.
you mean they're all going to be skewered in a football squad sized rotisserie oven and left there for 4 weeks?
Old 29-06-2018, 01:51 PM
Binned by Muderators

Brett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBrett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBrett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBrett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBrett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBrett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBrett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBrett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBrett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBrett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBrett came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
No way Putin will allow England to win the World Cup on Russian soil. Still plenty of ways to affect the outcome of matches in your favour.
Old 29-06-2018, 02:13 PM

CP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
No way Putin will allow England to win the World Cup on Russian soil. Still plenty of ways to affect the outcome of matches in your favour.
Would he want to risk accusations/investigations of corruption or match fixing though? This World Cup is massive PR wise for Russia.
Old 29-06-2018, 02:16 PM

SussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSussexRed&Blue came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin H View Post
I don't mean this to be as negative as I think it will sound because I really do think things are heading in the right direction and Southgate has already earned a longer shot at this for me but....

The back 4 are really far too flaky for us to succeed unless we really do ride our luck. Maguire, Walker and Stones at CB are always going to make mistakes and Pickford really isn't as good as his hype. These comments have nothing to do with this evening btw. Pickford can have blinders but he really isn't good enough for England first choice at this point. The strength is in the ones in front of them and we have to hope they do the trick if we are to progress. So Southgate's urging to be bold and play their football makes a lot of sense because we really aren't equipped to sit deep and defend.

Walker is excellent at RB but at CB he is possibly our most reliable one because the others slip up so often. Maguire looks exciting because he steps forward as does Stones but crikey they are flaky defensively and decision making is scary at times. Without Henderson in front they are a liability and TBH that might not be enough. Great going forward but.....

I am still quite chuffed with how they have done and looking forward to more next week but we shouldn't get carried away.
Yes very true the defensive unit is not very solid.

We are going to have to outscore teams with firepower to progress can't see a clean sheet coming any time soon.

How Tomkins didn't get a call up to the squad is amazing. Think he deserved it on his form last season. Maguire looks like a walking disaster and made him look silly last season when we played Leicester.
Old 30-06-2018, 05:43 AM

SE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is here
Our sports journalists seem to think that the UK is going to win the World cup, because:

1. They did it in 1966
2. in that same year, Burnley FC qualified itself for european football, just like this season
3. Chelsea ended 5th, just like at the end of this season
4. Real Madrid won the Champions league and in 1966, they won the European Cup (former name of the Champions League)
Old 30-06-2018, 12:39 PM
I am a Bad Man

RazorsEdge has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP-RJW View Post
Would he want to risk accusations/investigations of corruption or match fixing though? This World Cup is massive PR wise for Russia.
Agree

I don't think Putin will try anything

This world cup has been a major PR success for Russia and who wins apart from Russia would not bother Putin or any of the Russians to be honest. I don't think they care either.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:11 AM
The Bringer of Joy

Stellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is here
Anyone who thinks England are winning this is seriously deluded. It's not happening.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:19 AM
Werkself

Latvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellavista View Post
Anyone who thinks England are winning this is seriously deluded. It's not happening.
I'm glad someone else has said it. We'll probably get rolled 3-1 by Colombia. The way most are talking on here Colombia must have qualified on a Wild Card and are ranked 357th in the World.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:55 AM
We Are The Holmesdale

eagles #1 Sam the man is hereeagles #1 Sam the man is hereeagles #1 Sam the man is hereeagles #1 Sam the man is hereeagles #1 Sam the man is hereeagles #1 Sam the man is hereeagles #1 Sam the man is hereeagles #1 Sam the man is hereeagles #1 Sam the man is hereeagles #1 Sam the man is hereeagles #1 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellavista View Post
It's funny what a last minute winner against Tunisia and first half mauling of Panama does to confidence

My father in law genuinely believes we're going to win it..
Old 01-07-2018, 10:05 AM
techno sapiens

the drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is here
We should have taken the Japan option. I don't think we will get past Colombia. The difference could well come down to Harry Kane scoring and Rodriguez not playing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIMGb0p9hrQ
Old 01-07-2018, 10:49 AM

chateauferret came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchateauferret came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchateauferret came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchateauferret came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchateauferret came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchateauferret came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchateauferret came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchateauferret came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchateauferret came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchateauferret came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietchateauferret came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latvian Eagle View Post
I'm glad someone else has said it. We'll probably get rolled 3-1 by Colombia. The way most are talking on here Colombia must have qualified on a Wild Card and are ranked 357th in the World.
Indeed. Sorry folks but that England defence looks dodgy as f*** to me. Goals conceded against poor sides and quite a few mistakes, mad scrambles and forwards getting through and fluffing their lines. Not played against a potent and clinical attack for a long time given the players that were dropped by Belgium the other night, and a team with the right qualities could tear them to shreds.