Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » The Music Forum

Notices

The Music Forum All things music

Old 07-10-2021, 09:10 AM

LuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is hereLuieJack Sam the man is here
For me if we are looking at a "pure" classic pop voice then for me Mariah Carey is tops, followed by Witney Houston and then a toss up between Celine Dion and Barbara Striesland.
But i am also a massive fan of Tracy Chapman and her voice/music, but who has a very different tone of voice.
Old 07-10-2021, 09:14 AM

CP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is here
Aretha
Bjork
Cristina Scabbia

Nothing objective or well thought out here, just 3 favourites that come to mind.

Last edited by CP-RJW; 07-10-2021 at 06:59 PM.
Old 07-10-2021, 09:26 AM

Isle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
My number 1, but certainly not under-rated I think. Massively successful with the brilliant Yazoo, which still gets lots of airplay, a successful solo career after Yazoo, and recently awarded the MBE for services to music.
Great to see her on so many peoples lists here. I still think she is when you compare to the Whitney’s and Kylie’s of the world. One of my claims to fame is she “liked” one of my tweets

Member of the Magnificent 16
29th May 2004
Member of the Magnificent 1007
22nd May 2006
Member of the Magnificent 33000
27th May 2013
Member of the Strange Aircraft Clique
16th December 2018
Old 07-10-2021, 09:31 AM

Cuddles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCuddles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCuddles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCuddles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCuddles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCuddles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCuddles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCuddles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCuddles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCuddles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCuddles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Ella Fitzgerald
Peggy Lee
Amy Winehouse
Old 07-10-2021, 09:34 AM

orp pisshead1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietorp pisshead1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietorp pisshead1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietorp pisshead1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietorp pisshead1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietorp pisshead1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietorp pisshead1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietorp pisshead1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietorp pisshead1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietorp pisshead1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietorp pisshead1 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by david sylvian View Post
1. Hannah Reid, London Grammar
2. Elizabeth Fraser, Cocteau Twins
3. Tracey Thorn, Everything but the Girl

2 of those featured on Massive Attack tracks of course

Hannah Reid

Tracy thorn very underrated imo.
Old 07-10-2021, 10:14 AM
Fiddling the statistics

Eagle Kneevil Sam the man is hereEagle Kneevil Sam the man is hereEagle Kneevil Sam the man is hereEagle Kneevil Sam the man is hereEagle Kneevil Sam the man is hereEagle Kneevil Sam the man is hereEagle Kneevil Sam the man is hereEagle Kneevil Sam the man is hereEagle Kneevil Sam the man is hereEagle Kneevil Sam the man is hereEagle Kneevil Sam the man is here
Joan Baez has a beautiful voice. I also like Millie Jackson. Will need to think of a third.
Old 07-10-2021, 10:34 AM
Premiership 22/23

rbarmy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrbarmy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrbarmy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrbarmy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrbarmy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrbarmy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrbarmy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrbarmy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrbarmy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrbarmy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrbarmy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Grace Slick
Sandy Denny
Amy Winehouse (not necessarily in that order)
Old 07-10-2021, 10:48 AM

Marshian lets there be sunlight, lets there be rain, lets the brokenhearted love againMarshian lets there be sunlight, lets there be rain, lets the brokenhearted love againMarshian lets there be sunlight, lets there be rain, lets the brokenhearted love againMarshian lets there be sunlight, lets there be rain, lets the brokenhearted love againMarshian lets there be sunlight, lets there be rain, lets the brokenhearted love againMarshian lets there be sunlight, lets there be rain, lets the brokenhearted love againMarshian lets there be sunlight, lets there be rain, lets the brokenhearted love againMarshian lets there be sunlight, lets there be rain, lets the brokenhearted love againMarshian lets there be sunlight, lets there be rain, lets the brokenhearted love againMarshian lets there be sunlight, lets there be rain, lets the brokenhearted love againMarshian lets there be sunlight, lets there be rain, lets the brokenhearted love again
Janis Joplin
Early Tina Turner
Celeste (work in progress)

Its all about the blues
Old 07-10-2021, 11:06 AM
jft39

west country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshian View Post
Celeste (work in progress)
Poor Daphne.

Impossible thread so three at random of the top of my head are:

Marlena Shaw
Minnie Ripperton
Jocelyn Brown
Old 07-10-2021, 11:09 AM
it's a city you know...

st albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is herest albans Sam the man is here
mariah
Old 07-10-2021, 11:35 AM

Polak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Siouxsie
Old 07-10-2021, 11:39 AM
Vikings No 6

Big Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is here
Etta James
Stevie Nicks
Alison Moyet
Old 07-10-2021, 11:48 AM

Location: Was born in dulwich now live in Castleford , yorkshire
kirtoneagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekirtoneagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekirtoneagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekirtoneagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekirtoneagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekirtoneagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekirtoneagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekirtoneagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekirtoneagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekirtoneagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekirtoneagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Barbara Streisand,
Karen Carpenter,
Leona Lewis

for me
Old 07-10-2021, 11:48 AM

Harry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is here
Nancy Wilson
Ella Fitzgerald
Anna Ternheim

Special mention for a non pop singer but possibly the Greatest...Maria Callas
Old 07-10-2021, 12:10 PM
Diamond Geezer

palace_crystal : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace_crystal : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace_crystal : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace_crystal : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace_crystal : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace_crystal : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace_crystal : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace_crystal : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace_crystal : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace_crystal : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace_crystal : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
no one mentioned Joni Mitchell yet?
Old 07-10-2021, 12:15 PM

scro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is here
Not sure about the top three but my three favourites would have to be
PJ Harvey
Amy Winehouse
Skin from skunk anansie.
Old 07-10-2021, 01:16 PM

colonel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowcolonel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowcolonel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowcolonel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowcolonel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowcolonel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowcolonel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowcolonel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowcolonel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowcolonel will cross the room to turn the lights down lowcolonel will cross the room to turn the lights down low
Hannah Reid (London Grammar) definitely - extraordinary voice
Tina Dico (from Zero 7)
Sheryl Crow

All subjective of course and depends what you are into but I could listen to these three voices all day and night
Old 07-10-2021, 01:17 PM
Arse end of Nottingham.

henryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is herehenryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is herehenryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is herehenryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is herehenryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is herehenryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is herehenryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is herehenryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is herehenryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is herehenryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is herehenryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is here
Cilla Black
Kiki Dee
Randy Crawford
Old 07-10-2021, 01:27 PM

PeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP-RJW View Post
Arethra
Bjork
Cristina Scabbia

Nothing objective or well thought out here, just 3 favourites that come to mind.
Yep, and likewise not knowing anything about what makes a good voice, or all different kinds of music, I would just have to chose my favourites to my taste.

Many think that Whitney over sang, for example.

I admire and like Aretha - but she is not in my top three - which are....

drumroll...

Randy Crawford
Gladys Knight
Sade

and there are a few other pretenders. But these three always get my juices flowing.

'Don't be more of an arsehole than you have to be.' sw16girl..11/5/2020.
Old 07-10-2021, 01:27 PM
Now cough, please

HOL_Beagle Sam the man is hereHOL_Beagle Sam the man is hereHOL_Beagle Sam the man is hereHOL_Beagle Sam the man is hereHOL_Beagle Sam the man is hereHOL_Beagle Sam the man is hereHOL_Beagle Sam the man is hereHOL_Beagle Sam the man is hereHOL_Beagle Sam the man is hereHOL_Beagle Sam the man is hereHOL_Beagle Sam the man is here
Aretha Franklin
Eva Cassidy
Janis Joplin