Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic The Music Forum

Notices

The Music Forum All things music

Old 07-10-2021, 01:31 PM

PeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is here
A shout out to that Etta James pick...I'd rather go blind..but there are a fair few artists that are famouss for one particular song.

And by that I mean to the layman or woman. Not some pseudo music intellect that knows about some private family performance that was recorded on home video etc..

'Don't be more of an arsehole than you have to be.' sw16girl..11/5/2020.
Old 07-10-2021, 01:33 PM

PeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is here
I get it with Aretha, The Queen of Soul. But that title goes to Gladys Knight, for me. But we could agrgue that and throw a couple of others in the mix.

I prefer Martha and The Vandellas to The Supremes. And not just for The Warrior's classic.

Old 07-10-2021, 01:44 PM

Herr Colonpharter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHerr Colonpharter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHerr Colonpharter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHerr Colonpharter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHerr Colonpharter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHerr Colonpharter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHerr Colonpharter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHerr Colonpharter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHerr Colonpharter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHerr Colonpharter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHerr Colonpharter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Teena
Old 07-10-2021, 01:49 PM

Nth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is here
The lady in the Beautiful South has a great voice.
Old 07-10-2021, 01:53 PM
jft39

west country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH View Post
A shout out to that Etta James pick...I'd rather go blind..but there are a fair few artists that are famouss for one particular song.

And by that I mean to the layman or woman. Not some pseudo music intellect that knows about some private family performance that was recorded on home video etc..
Etta James' version of "At Last" is quite famous, surely?
Old 07-10-2021, 02:05 PM

GanbareWashi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGanbareWashi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGanbareWashi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGanbareWashi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGanbareWashi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGanbareWashi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGanbareWashi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGanbareWashi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGanbareWashi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGanbareWashi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGanbareWashi came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Aretha
Amy Winehouse
Kate Bush

No particular order. Theses three just make me stop and listen when they come on the radio.
Old 07-10-2021, 02:09 PM
Freakish nipples akimbo

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH View Post
I get it with Aretha, The Queen of Soul. But that title goes to Gladys Knight, for me. But we could agrgue that and throw a couple of others in the mix.

I prefer Martha and The Vandellas to The Supremes. And not just for The Warrior's classic.
Not for the singing, though, surely? Martha's got an absolutely common or garden voice.
Saw her live a few years back.
Old 07-10-2021, 02:09 PM

JackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is hereJackTheBiscuit Sam the man is here
1. Karen Carpenter
2. Aretha
3. Stevie Nicks
Old 07-10-2021, 02:21 PM
Block U

Happy Arthur Sam the man is hereHappy Arthur Sam the man is hereHappy Arthur Sam the man is hereHappy Arthur Sam the man is hereHappy Arthur Sam the man is hereHappy Arthur Sam the man is hereHappy Arthur Sam the man is hereHappy Arthur Sam the man is hereHappy Arthur Sam the man is hereHappy Arthur Sam the man is hereHappy Arthur Sam the man is here
Not saying she's top 3 but I could listen to (and look at) Nora Jones all day.
Old 07-10-2021, 02:22 PM

Bert_P : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBert_P : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBert_P : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBert_P : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBert_P : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBert_P : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBert_P : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBert_P : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBert_P : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBert_P : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBert_P : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Arthur View Post
Not saying she's top 3 but I could listen to (and look at) Noah Jones all day.
female singers only please
Old 07-10-2021, 02:31 PM
Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!

Beatleboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBeatleboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBeatleboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBeatleboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBeatleboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBeatleboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBeatleboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBeatleboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBeatleboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBeatleboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBeatleboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
1. Lena Zavaroni
2. Kate Bush
3. Whitney Houston
4. Cilla Black.
5. Karen Carpenter.

I know - 5 is greedy!

Those who laughed at my choice of Lena Zavaroni - check out "Going Nowhere" on youtube, especially the 2nd half of the song as the camera focuses on her face in close up - mesmerising. She was virtually in a trance when she sang this and it is the audiences applause at the end that seems to bring her out of it. It is really the story of her sad and short life with Anorexia. A beautiful song for an amazing talent who was far more than a child prodigy.

Having seen the story of her short life on youtube ( its in 3 parts) and how she was whisked away at such a young age to the bright lights of London and America, when I watch and listen to her sing this song, I am in tears.

"And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySwY7...eature=related

Last edited by Beatleboy; 07-10-2021 at 02:44 PM.
Old 07-10-2021, 05:35 PM
Thinking

Bintang Sam the man is hereBintang Sam the man is hereBintang Sam the man is hereBintang Sam the man is hereBintang Sam the man is hereBintang Sam the man is hereBintang Sam the man is hereBintang Sam the man is hereBintang Sam the man is hereBintang Sam the man is hereBintang Sam the man is here
Sandy Denny
Stevie Nicks
Janis Joplin
Old 07-10-2021, 06:09 PM

Harry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatleboy View Post
1. Lena Zavaroni
2. Kate Bush
3. Whitney Houston
4. Cilla Black.
5. Karen Carpenter.

I know - 5 is greedy!

Those who laughed at my choice of Lena Zavaroni - check out "Going Nowhere" on youtube, especially the 2nd half of the song as the camera focuses on her face in close up - mesmerising. She was virtually in a trance when she sang this and it is the audiences applause at the end that seems to bring her out of it. It is really the story of her sad and short life with Anorexia. A beautiful song for an amazing talent who was far more than a child prodigy.

Having seen the story of her short life on youtube ( its in 3 parts) and how she was whisked away at such a young age to the bright lights of London and America, when I watch and listen to her sing this song, I am in tears.
Because four of the five are dead you are let off.
Old 07-10-2021, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Aguila View Post
Not for the singing, though, surely? Martha's got an absolutely common or garden voice.
Saw her live a few years back.
I don't know. I thought I said that. I like the ditties that go on loud when I am halfway through my second bottle of wine.

I also like Diana Ross's I'm still waiting and Upside Down.

Old 07-10-2021, 06:53 PM
Sing now, godess.

wedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is here
Barbara Streisand
Janis Joplin
Randy Crawford
Old 07-10-2021, 06:59 PM
Freakish nipples akimbo

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
Diana Ross has quite a bit of sex in her voice.
I think Aretha should be left out of these arguments, her voice is like a whole section of an orchestra, overtones, undertones, the lot. An extraordinary and mind bending instrument.
Old 07-10-2021, 07:22 PM

exiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is here
So many great singers to choose from

Judith Durham
Cass Elliot
Karen Carpenter
Old 07-10-2021, 07:28 PM

GorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by exiledeagle View Post
So many great singers to choose from

Judith Durham
Cass Elliot
Karen Carpenter

Oh yes, Mama Cass and Judith Durham. Not in my top 3 but fantastic nevertheless.

I love Doris Day too! So many great talents!
Old 07-10-2021, 07:28 PM
Landlord

Son of Selhurst came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSon of Selhurst came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSon of Selhurst came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSon of Selhurst came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSon of Selhurst came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSon of Selhurst came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSon of Selhurst came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSon of Selhurst came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSon of Selhurst came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSon of Selhurst came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSon of Selhurst came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Sarah McLachlan
Karen Carpenter
Celine Dion

(Stevie Nicks I can listen to, but after three in a straight row I have a problem)
Old 07-10-2021, 07:31 PM
jft39

west country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Aguila View Post
Diana Ross has quite a bit of sex in her voice.
I think Aretha should be left out of these arguments, her voice is like a whole section of an orchestra, overtones, undertones, the lot. An extraordinary and mind bending instrument.
Ross wasn't even the best singer in The Supremes.

I love that TotP clip where Florence Ballard (who was a bit of a sort) appeared to be in my grandad's words "as pissed as a pudding".

On a similarish note, PP Arnold was/is a terrific singer and also very fit.