Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Other Sport World of Sport

Notices

World of Sport Discuss all other sport. Includes betting and gambling threads.

Old 22-08-2004, 09:12 PM

GreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is here
Ok first of all her husband is not a knob that is just the way the media portray him. He sacrifices a hell of a lot himself so that she can spend all her time training and running as a professional athlete. Whenever teh media actually bother to speak to Paula and her husband they both say the same thing that no-one is more upset at failure than herself and he lives every moment, professional and personal with her - that is not easy.

Now onto today, anyone who thinks she bottles it i have just 2 questions to ask.

a) What is the furthest you have ever run especially competitively?

b) Have you ever been to Athens?

My answers are 10,000 metres cross countey and it hurt like hell, and took 50 minutes, my average speed was about 4 or 5 mph slower than that one today which is the worlds toughest Marathon course.

I was last in Athens 3 weeks ago and my boss was there last week, the temperature even at 6pm is extremely hot and the heat that would be coming off newly layed jet black tarmacx would make it worse. But much worse tahn the heat is the humidity, i could harly eat a plate of food it was so stiffling out there it is impossible to get enough oxygen into your body hence all teh personalised supplements each athlete had in their water bottles!

Finally a big of history for some. The marathon is so called after an even in greek history. There was a war taking place in Marathon and the Greeks won the war, they couldn't use their mobile phones, a guy ran to Athens to break the good news. Probably not the exact route and not on such a smoothj surface granted but after announcing the victory he promptly dropped to the ground and died from - guess what - exhaustion.

You want proof that the race is that hard, it was won in the fastest time EVER for that maranthon, a whole 14 minutes SLOWER than the world record! The 2 fastest women in history at the marathon both in the race and fit (the other finished second) but hey lest call her a bottler shall we?
Old 22-08-2004, 09:13 PM

RGW has brains that could explain any feelingRGW has brains that could explain any feelingRGW has brains that could explain any feelingRGW has brains that could explain any feelingRGW has brains that could explain any feelingRGW has brains that could explain any feelingRGW has brains that could explain any feelingRGW has brains that could explain any feelingRGW has brains that could explain any feelingRGW has brains that could explain any feelingRGW has brains that could explain any feeling
like to see some of you guys run 26.1 miles in 100 degree heat with 13 miles up hill !!!!!!!!!
Old 22-08-2004, 09:20 PM

Perky : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePerky : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePerky : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePerky : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePerky : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePerky : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePerky : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePerky : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePerky : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePerky : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePerky : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
[B][/QUOTE]
You want proof that the race is that hard, it was won in the fastest time EVER for that maranthon, a whole 14 minutes SLOWER than the world record! The 2 fastest women in history at the marathon both in the race and fit (the other finished second) but hey lest call her a bottler shall we?
[/QUOTE]

and that is 3 miles quicker. so if paula had won the japense lady would have been three miles behind. THATS RIGHT 3 MILES!!!

If any of you have any dedication yourselfs where you give up something you would understand. But as i suspect you are all people behind your pcs twelve hours a day taking cheap shots at people who work so hard for one moment.

I think you should be ashamed and say sorry.
Like i said i am running the NY marathon in november for myself and tryoing to raise more than the 10,000 pounds i have riased in the past three years for the NSPCC. Give me a messgae and sponsor me instead of slagging off someone who work so hard. Something i think a lot of you have no idea about

Last edited by Perky; 22-08-2004 at 09:23 PM.
Old 22-08-2004, 09:22 PM
Lough Derg

palace & proud palace & proud palace & proud palace & proud palace & proud palace & proud palace & proud palace & proud palace & proud palace & proud palace & proud
Radchiffe suffers marthon agony

The race as it happened
A distraught Paula Radcliffe saw her dream of Olympic gold shattered after pulling out of the women's marathon at the 23-mile mark in Athens.
The British world record holder and pre-race favourite had slipped to fourth and was clearly in distress in the blazing heat and humid conditions.

The 30-year-old was later taken by ambulance for a precautionary check-up.

Japan's Mizuki Noguchi won gold with Kenyan Catherine Ndereba taking silver and America's Deena Kastor the bronze.

After breaking down at the side of the road, Radcliffe was accompanied by her husband and coach Gary Lough and her parents for the medical at the Panathinaiko Stadium, scene of the marathon finish.

It is thought the two-times London Marathon winner was tired and exhausted rather than seriously injured in any way.

Radcliffe, who described herself as "devastated" upon leaving after her check-up, added she would talk about her ordeal on Monday.

Starting from the village that gave the event its name, Radcliffe was with the leading group for the first 15 miles but she never seemed comfortable in the blazing 35 degrees heat and high humidity.

Radcliffe was distraught as she was helped from the course

Noguchi pulled away at the 16-mile stage but Radcliffe was unable to respond as a series of steep slopes brought further agony for the labouring pre-race favourite.

Radcliffe, who also just missed out on the medals in the 10,000m in Sydney, launched a brave bid to recover the ground and at one stage fought her way into the silver medal position.

But she could not maintain her challenge and Ndereba and Ethiopian Elfenesh Alemu both raced past, leaving her in fourth place and out of the medals.

Olympics message boards:
Have Your Say on athletics

After pulling up once before finally stopping just three miles from the finish, the Briton sat slumped on the side of the road with her head in her hands as her dream of Olympic gold lay in tatters.

Ngouchi maintained her form to hold off Ndereba by just 11 seconds and become the new champion in a time of two hours 26 minutes and 20 seconds.

But Alemu also fell victim to the humidity as Kastor surged past to clinch an unexpected third place in 2:27:20.

This is not the way she would have wanted her Olympic challenge to end

BBC Sport's Steve Cram
BBC pundits' reaction to the race

Two hours earlier, it had all looked so promising for Radcliffe and the vast army of British supporters which was packing the course and the finish in the old Olympic stadium.

But instead of celebrating gold, Radcliffe's fans looked on in disbelief as their heroine's Athens hopes were ended.

Britain's other two runners, Liz Yelling and Tracey Morris, managed to finish in 25th and 29th respectively, Yelland recording a time of 2:40:13 and 36-year-old Morris 2:41:00.

Yelling was "absolutely gutted" to learn that her team-mate had failed to finish.

She said: "I know how hard she has trained and how much dedication and sacrifice she has made. She wanted this one so badly. Maybe she underestimated the course."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _39986144_paula_race270.jpg (15.1 KB, 160 views)
Old 22-08-2004, 09:22 PM

Jay_Palace is ice and dust, is sky; can see horses wading through snowdriftsJay_Palace is ice and dust, is sky; can see horses wading through snowdriftsJay_Palace is ice and dust, is sky; can see horses wading through snowdriftsJay_Palace is ice and dust, is sky; can see horses wading through snowdriftsJay_Palace is ice and dust, is sky; can see horses wading through snowdriftsJay_Palace is ice and dust, is sky; can see horses wading through snowdriftsJay_Palace is ice and dust, is sky; can see horses wading through snowdriftsJay_Palace is ice and dust, is sky; can see horses wading through snowdriftsJay_Palace is ice and dust, is sky; can see horses wading through snowdriftsJay_Palace is ice and dust, is sky; can see horses wading through snowdriftsJay_Palace is ice and dust, is sky; can see horses wading through snowdrifts
I genuinely feel for Paula, a true British hero for her performances over the last couple of years. She is a model rofessional and a fantastic role model for all young people interested in running. I can't think of many better British sporting ambassedors.

Plugster, you are a plank for saying those things about her, come back and have a go when you have achieved a tenth of what she has achieved.
Old 22-08-2004, 09:26 PM
Lough Derg

palace & proud palace & proud palace & proud palace & proud palace & proud palace & proud palace & proud palace & proud palace & proud palace & proud palace & proud
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _39985996_radcliffesadgetty203.jpg (9.1 KB, 154 views)
Old 22-08-2004, 09:29 PM

Jay_Palace is ice and dust, is sky; can see horses wading through snowdriftsJay_Palace is ice and dust, is sky; can see horses wading through snowdriftsJay_Palace is ice and dust, is sky; can see horses wading through snowdriftsJay_Palace is ice and dust, is sky; can see horses wading through snowdriftsJay_Palace is ice and dust, is sky; can see horses wading through snowdriftsJay_Palace is ice and dust, is sky; can see horses wading through snowdriftsJay_Palace is ice and dust, is sky; can see horses wading through snowdriftsJay_Palace is ice and dust, is sky; can see horses wading through snowdriftsJay_Palace is ice and dust, is sky; can see horses wading through snowdriftsJay_Palace is ice and dust, is sky; can see horses wading through snowdriftsJay_Palace is ice and dust, is sky; can see horses wading through snowdrifts
Quote:
Originally posted by palace & proud
There you go plugster, have a good laugh at her reduced to tears.

Pathetic.
Old 22-08-2004, 09:37 PM
Lough Derg

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay_Palace
There you go plugster, have a good laugh at her reduced to tears.

Pathetic.

No i dont think its a laugh at all OK....I felt so sorry for her i would of rather her get gold and then other Brit out in athens.Im only going what bbc have reported...
Old 22-08-2004, 09:38 PM
*Contents: Hydrogen, Time

Random* came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRandom* came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRandom* came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRandom* came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRandom* came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRandom* came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRandom* came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRandom* came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRandom* came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRandom* came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRandom* came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Re: Paula Radcliffe.

Quote:
Originally posted by Plugster
Can't finish first second or third, oh well, i'll give up.

Great attitude
Anyone can compete in the race and finish it. But few will have the will and determination to have spent 2 years + running 150+ miles a week in any weather on top of other training.

I'd like to see you walk (or run) 1000 miles in her boots.
Old 22-08-2004, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by palace & proud
No i dont think its a laugh at all OK....I felt so sorry for her i would of rather her get gold and then other Brit out in athens.Im only going what bbc have reported...
No I wasn't refering to what you said, I was highlighting it for the benefit of mr 'kick a dog when it's down' plugster.
Old 22-08-2004, 09:43 PM

Perky : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePerky : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePerky : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePerky : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePerky : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePerky : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePerky : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePerky : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePerky : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePerky : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePerky : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Re: Re: Paula Radcliffe.

Quote:
Originally posted by Random*
Anyone can compete in the race and finish it. But few will have the will and determination to have spent 2 years + running 150+ miles a week in any weather on top of other training.

I'd like to see you walk (or run) 1000 miles in her boots.
anyone can do it only if they train for months and months,\

something a lot of the people on here would know nothing about
Old 22-08-2004, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Perky
[B][B]

I think you should be ashamed and say sorry.
Like i said i am running the NY marathon in november for myself and tryoing to raise more than the 10,000 pounds i have riased in the past three years for the NSPCC. Give me a messgae and sponsor me instead of slagging off someone who work so hard. Something i think a lot of you have no idea about
[/QUOTE]

funny how as soon as i say sponsor me for doing the same run in a few months time as wellas working full time it all goes quiet from the disgracefull people who knocked paula
Old 22-08-2004, 09:51 PM

johnbush came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjohnbush came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjohnbush came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjohnbush came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjohnbush came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjohnbush came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjohnbush came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjohnbush came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjohnbush came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjohnbush came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietjohnbush came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Re: Paula Radcliffe.

Quote:
Originally posted by Plugster
Can't finish first second or third, oh well, i'll give up.

Great attitude
Plugster: prize pratt.
Old 22-08-2004, 09:57 PM
Doing nothing is a choice

firesign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is here
Paula's critics should do well to remember she was not there just to compete. She was there to win gold. All or nothing. It's gamble. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. The other two British girls ran very well to finish in the top 30, but their sights were never as high as Paula's.

Margeret Okayo the Kenyan winner of this year's London Marathon also failed to finish.
Old 22-08-2004, 10:05 PM

ElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is here
Nobody's saying that she isn't a fantastic athlete or that the expectations placed on her by the media weren't unrealistic and created intolerable pressure (but then what else is new when a Brit is favourite to win ?)

That still does not alter the fact that on the face of it, her attitude doesn't exactly look like it encapsulates Olympic ideals. Conditions were the same for everyone in that race and they all knew what they'd be years ago; how many others just stopped when in became clear that they wouldn't be in the top 3 ? I'm sure she was exhausted, I'm sure she was dehydrated but I'm sure that every other runner it that race were as well.

If it turns out that she injured herself, then that's sad and she doesn't deserve any criticism. If she realized that she was out of contention for a medal and felt that the pain (which every single other competitor in that race was also feeling) wasn't worth battling if there wasn't a medal at the end of it, then she deserves all the stick she's getting/going to get.

66 runners finished, the last one an hour after the winner. She'd had 6 years of preparation of the course and conditions; if she misjudged them on the day, surely she's in good enough shape to slow down, take more fluid on board and at least finish ? It's hard not to suspect that she believed finishing halfway down the order was beneath her. I don't really think that the thread starter deserves all the stick he's getting. You must admit that the timing and the circumstances of her withdrawal look a bit unsporting to put it mildly. Would you all be so unforgiving of the England football team if they found themselves 0-3 down with 10 minutes left and just gave up regardless of how exhausted they might have been ?
Old 22-08-2004, 10:20 PM

kolinkins Sam the man is herekolinkins Sam the man is herekolinkins Sam the man is herekolinkins Sam the man is herekolinkins Sam the man is herekolinkins Sam the man is herekolinkins Sam the man is herekolinkins Sam the man is herekolinkins Sam the man is herekolinkins Sam the man is herekolinkins Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by ElwissAtMemphis
Nobody's saying that she isn't a fantastic athlete or that the expectations placed on her by the media weren't unrealistic and created intolerable pressure (but then what else is new when a Brit is favourite to win ?)

That still does not alter the fact that on the face of it, her attitude doesn't exactly look like it encapsulates Olympic ideals. Conditions were the same for everyone in that race and they all knew what they'd be years ago; how many others just stopped when in became clear that they wouldn't be in the top 3 ? I'm sure she was exhausted, I'm sure she was dehydrated but I'm sure that every other runner it that race were as well.

If it turns out that she injured herself, then that's sad and she doesn't deserve any criticism. If she realized that she was out of contention for a medal and felt that the pain (which every single other competitor in that race was also feeling) wasn't worth battling if there wasn't a medal at the end of it, then she deserves all the stick she's getting/going to get.

66 runners finished, the last one an hour after the winner. She'd had 6 years of preparation of the course and conditions; if she misjudged them on the day, surely she's in good enough shape to slow down, take more fluid on board and at least finish ? It's hard not to suspect that she believed finishing halfway down the order was beneath her. I don't really think that the thread starter deserves all the stick he's getting. You must admit that the timing and the circumstances of her withdrawal look a bit unsporting to put it mildly. Would you all be so unforgiving of the England football team if they found themselves 0-3 down with 10 minutes left and just gave up regardless of how exhausted they might have been ?
Good sum up.
Old 23-08-2004, 08:41 AM

eaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is here
I have nothing but admiration for her but I think some of the abuse at the poster is a bit over the top
Old 23-08-2004, 11:08 AM

Gatecrasher : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGatecrasher : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGatecrasher : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGatecrasher : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGatecrasher : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGatecrasher : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGatecrasher : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGatecrasher : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGatecrasher : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGatecrasher : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGatecrasher : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally posted by ElwissAtMemphis

She was suffering, I guess, mentally as well as physically. Think about it: her dream had gone. That must have really upset her, and that coupled with the exhaustion must have been a major factor. She must have been dreadfully upset; it's entirely understandable that she didn't feel able to carry on. Imagine it: knackered, pissed off, feel like crying, utterly exhausted, there's still a way to go, searing heat, dream over; it's understandable that she gave up. She doesn't deserve any stick. Why should she? She is the one who lost out: not the critics. Bloody hell, have a heart.
Old 23-08-2004, 11:10 AM
Between matches

MasterYoda Sam the man is hereMasterYoda Sam the man is hereMasterYoda Sam the man is hereMasterYoda Sam the man is hereMasterYoda Sam the man is hereMasterYoda Sam the man is hereMasterYoda Sam the man is hereMasterYoda Sam the man is hereMasterYoda Sam the man is hereMasterYoda Sam the man is hereMasterYoda Sam the man is here
Paula will be 34 at the next Olympics. For a distance runner that isn't too old at all.

I'll reserve judgement on this race until I've heard what she has to say about it.
Old 23-08-2004, 11:16 AM

eaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by Gatecrasher
She was suffering, I guess, mentally as well as physically. Think about it: her dream had gone. That must have really upset her, and that coupled with the exhaustion must have been a major factor. She must have been dreadfully upset; it's entirely understandable that she didn't feel able to carry on. Imagine it: knackered, pissed off, feel like crying, utterly exhausted, there's still a way to go, searing heat, dream over; it's understandable that she gave up. She doesn't deserve any stick. Why should she? She is the one who lost out: not the critics. Bloody hell, have a heart.

............yes but hundreds have suffered a similar fate throughout time. If she had to go on a drip etc fair enough but its out of order to give up because her dream is over surely (and I'm not saying thats what she did)............