Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 09-08-2019, 02:55 PM

weltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is here
isn't she appointed by the mainland govt?

SaulAlinsky
Old 09-08-2019, 03:28 PM
Quicker than the human I

hong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
So how, if at all, can you get rid of her?
I don't know. She's a stooge appointed by Beijing and very clearly unfit for office (it is painful watching her). Rumours are she already offered to resign but BJ declined as it would show weakness and she's a convenient barrier to hide behind / justify escalation such as deployment of mainland police or the PLA.

The best hope I think is that pro-Beijing respected figures get more vocal in urging her to do the right thing for HK and actually listen, and offer simple concessions. Michael Tien, for example (businessman who owns G2000) said exactly this just yesterday. It would take only a few actions easily within her power to calm things down quickly- namely announce an independent inquiry (by the judiciary) into police (and protester) actions, and to formally withdraw the extradition bill (she is stubbornly calling it "dead" to save face but that is not the same as withdrawn formally, as it still appears on the list of active bills with LegCo).

Carrie Lam stepping down isn't the solution here - it would help, but all BJ stooges are going to be pretty similar.
Old 09-08-2019, 03:41 PM
Quicker than the human I

hong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltklasse View Post
isn't she appointed by the mainland govt?
Yes the Chief Executive is appointed by Beijing.

The problem is Beijing cannot grasp the concept of citizens having access to conflicting news sources and opinions, and *gasp* having any kind of say in how they are governed. HK has always been governed by distant colonial appointees, but the majority have been competent and in general done so to the benefit of most people. To view the link you have to Register or Login, and thanks to mature institutions put in place by the British (including until now the police) are still in place today.

There is a sizeable minority in HK who want universal suffrage, at least for the CE post, which is fine. But a half-sensible Beijing would appoint someone with the intelligence and ability to understand the HK people and to balance what BJ wants with what HK people want. There's surely a middle line which keeps both sides happy.
Old 11-08-2019, 02:19 PM
Quicker than the human I

It has stepped up several notches here in HK today. Eight hours of violence all over the place, still ongoing. Petrol bombs and protesters fighting police to avoid arrest. Police firing bullets into people's faces at short range and tear-gassing train stations full of regular people. Total carnage.
Old 11-08-2019, 02:28 PM
jft39

west country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is here
How do you think this all might end up, h_k_hg?
Old 11-08-2019, 02:30 PM

wavey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwavey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwavey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwavey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwavey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwavey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwavey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwavey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwavey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwavey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwavey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by hong_kong_hg View Post
It has stepped up several notches here in HK today. Eight hours of violence all over the place, still ongoing. Petrol bombs and protesters fighting police to avoid arrest. Police firing bullets into people's faces at short range and tear-gassing train stations full of regular people. Total carnage.
Sounds awful. I wish you peace and safety.
Old 11-08-2019, 02:37 PM
Quicker than the human I

Quote:
Originally Posted by west country boy View Post
How do you think this all might end up, h_k_hg?
I think the most likely short-term scenario is people start getting killed (most likely by the police as they have the superior firepower. Shooting people in the face ). This will escalate anger even more than the frightening levels it's already at. The government would surely then be forced to offer some concessions to calm things down.

These scenes are shocking. This girl could have been killed outright. Tear gas underground / in enclosed spaces could provoke a fatal asthma attack.

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 11-08-2019, 02:37 PM
Quicker than the human I

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavey View Post
Sounds awful. I wish you peace and safety.
thanks mate
Old 11-08-2019, 02:40 PM
Quicker than the human I

And the press (bless them) filming arrests (there must be getting on for 7 or 800 now) show police ripping protesters' masks off. Every single one is young. Like really young, teenagers of 15 or 16.
Old 11-08-2019, 03:10 PM
Quicker than the human I

Christ. This is Tai Koo station, new levels of stupidity from police.

Old 11-08-2019, 03:45 PM
Quicker than the human I

Wow live in Sai Wan Ho thousands of people and press are surrounding the riot police, shouting Hak Se Wui (triads, because of their corrupt collaboration in Yuen Long). I have never seen people so angry, there is close to zero support for the police.

With the government totally absent we have become a full on police state.

Old 11-08-2019, 03:50 PM
jft39

west country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is here
Probably a silly question. but are the police from HK or the mainland?
Old 11-08-2019, 03:51 PM

LN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is here
Sad to hear all this hong kong hg. I was over there in January and really enjoyed it and despite being manic seemed peaceful and safe. I must admit to not having a great deal of interaction with the locals so didn't get any sense of the feeling over there. I did visit the Xiaomi Mi shop in Causeway Bay and on asking whether they had the new flagship phone that had just been launched the previous week in China the teenage shop assistant snapped at me 'WE ARE NOT CHINA!' which rocked me back a bit!
Great place and hope it stays so. Be safe hong kong hg
Old 11-08-2019, 03:54 PM
Quicker than the human I

Quote:
Originally Posted by west country boy View Post
Probably a silly question. but are the police from HK or the mainland?
HK police all from HK. Strong rumours that 1000s of mainland police have been "secretly" drafted in to augment the numbers, but I haven't seen reliable evidence of this.

It would support the theory that the CCP tactic is to force authoritarianism onto HK using the police as proxy.

I am watching police vans turn up for distressed riot police being attacked by residents (not in protester garb) and kettled by the press. The police dive in the vans and drive off, whilst residents lob objects at the vans and kick them.

People are f*cking pissed off.
Old 11-08-2019, 03:58 PM
Quicker than the human I

Quote:
Originally Posted by LN1 View Post
Sad to hear all this hong kong hg. I was over there in January and really enjoyed it and despite being manic seemed peaceful and safe. I must admit to not having a great deal of interaction with the locals so didn't get any sense of the feeling over there. I did visit the Xiaomi Mi shop in Causeway Bay and on asking whether they had the new flagship phone that had just been launched the previous week in China the teenage shop assistant snapped at me 'WE ARE NOT CHINA!' which rocked me back a bit!
Great place and hope it stays so. Be safe hong kong hg

And thank you.
Old 12-08-2019, 10:01 AM

rhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is here
Police are now posing as protesters and arresting people from undercover. Rumour that they are also acting as agent provocateur.
Old 12-08-2019, 10:23 AM
Happy Felix Day!

Adlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by hong_kong_hg View Post
HK police all from HK. Strong rumours that 1000s of mainland police have been "secretly" drafted in to augment the numbers, but I haven't seen reliable evidence of this.

It would support the theory that the CCP tactic is to force authoritarianism onto HK using the police as proxy.

I am watching police vans turn up for distressed riot police being attacked by residents (not in protester garb) and kettled by the press. The police dive in the vans and drive off, whilst residents lob objects at the vans and kick them.

People are f*cking pissed off.
Couldn’t people tell if they were mainland from the lack of Cantonese, or the accent (if they picked people from Guangdong)?
The Defector looks like no other breaking pitch in the game. It is well-supinated, leaving the right hand of Fernandez at a fastball trajectory before the laws of physics cease to apply and the laws of awesome take over.
Old 12-08-2019, 12:16 PM
Quicker than the human I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlerhorst View Post
Couldn’t people tell if they were mainland from the lack of Cantonese, or the accent (if they picked people from Guangdong)?
Yeah, I think the rumour of mainland PLA or police augmenting HKPF numbers isn't particularly credible, as there would be a communication issue (as well as fact mainland authorities have zero experience policing a free society).

Just another regular day in HK life today.
- An estimated 20,000 peacefully flooded the airport resulting in all outbound flights being cancelled
- Police press conf they denied shooting the first aider in the face, claiming it could have been a protester (the beanbag round was literally lodged in the girl's goggles), claimed that pepper rounds fired inside Taikoo station didn't count as potentially lethal, and refused to answer press questions. They admit to having infiltrated the protesters (To view the link you have to Register or Login)
- Mainland liaison (basically Beijing central government) now characterises the protests as "terrorism" and To view the link you have to Register or Login

These adaptations of the MTR (underground) map illustrate key events yesterday and the extent of clashes over the last two months.

Last edited by hong_kong_hg; 12-08-2019 at 12:20 PM.
Old 12-08-2019, 01:32 PM

rhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is here
Little bit of an aside, but the current toadying of some major fashion brands to the Chinese state is sickening. It shows the economic power that China has with the access into its market.
Old 12-08-2019, 01:58 PM
Quicker than the human I

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino_mik View Post
Little bit of an aside, but the current toadying of some major fashion brands to the Chinese state is sickening. It shows the economic power that China has with the access into its market.
It's a full on propaganda war from China now - blackmailing companies in HK and internationally, strong-arming celebrities and business leaders into issuing public declarations of support for China and to boycott anyone who deviates even 1% from the official hard-line, an army of social media trolls, blanket promotion of easily debunkable fake news, branding protesters terrorists, etc. etc.