Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 13-08-2019, 03:43 PM
Semper Idem

Maz has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by hong_kong_hg View Post
Just now the To view the link you have to Register or Login.

This is the key part, which blows Carrie Lam's, the HK Police's and the Beijing Liaison Office's position bang out of the water - and backs the protest's key demand for an independent inquiry into police criminality.

To view the link you have to Register or Login

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 13-08-2019, 04:04 PM
Quicker than the human I

hong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
You're sad the UN is demanding an inquiry?
Old 14-08-2019, 12:32 AM

Skin Up Sam the man is hereSkin Up Sam the man is hereSkin Up Sam the man is hereSkin Up Sam the man is hereSkin Up Sam the man is hereSkin Up Sam the man is hereSkin Up Sam the man is hereSkin Up Sam the man is hereSkin Up Sam the man is hereSkin Up Sam the man is hereSkin Up Sam the man is here
Xi is going to do anything to avoid becoming China's Gorbachev and most worryingly I think (for now) he has the support of most mainlanders.
Old 16-08-2019, 05:31 PM
I am a Bad Man

RazorsEdge has disabled reputation
spiderman makes an appearance in Hong Kong and manages to upset all

Old 17-08-2019, 05:48 AM
Quicker than the human I

hong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is herehong_kong_hg Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorsEdge View Post
spiderman makes an appearance in Hong Kong and manages to upset all

The CCP have been paying for all sorts of stupid stunts recently. Nobody takes much notice.

The weekend's activities commenced with very large rallies in Central yesterday evening (including live video support from Tom Watson) and again in Central this morning.
Old 26-08-2019, 12:49 AM

wavey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwavey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwavey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwavey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwavey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwavey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwavey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwavey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwavey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwavey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwavey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Saw the protests escalated today with the police firing a warning shot and using water cannons. Hope you’re doing ok Hong Kong and if you did attend a protest you stayed safe.
Old 29-08-2019, 08:52 PM

rhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is hererhino_mik Sam the man is here
Watching the China documentary on BBC2 now. It seems like all the dystopian fiction I've read rolled into one and come to life.
Old 31-08-2019, 04:58 PM

rhiannapaul came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrhiannapaul came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrhiannapaul came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrhiannapaul came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrhiannapaul came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrhiannapaul came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrhiannapaul came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrhiannapaul came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrhiannapaul came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrhiannapaul came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrhiannapaul came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Sadly China wont let them have democracy and will squash them eventually
Old 01-09-2019, 01:49 PM
Quicker than the human I

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiannapaul View Post
Sadly China wont let them have democracy and will squash them eventually
That is not how it works.

Any government can only govern either with the express support of the people or via repressive force. The latter option would be under the full view of the world and would represent the CCP committing suicide (the appetite for the world to take the CCP $$ and pretend Tibet, Xinjiang & HK aren't happening would be greatly diminished).

The government currently has destroyed every last vestige of its own credibility in the eyes of the people, so at some point there will have to be a political solution.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:03 PM

cockles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcockles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcockles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcockles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcockles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcockles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcockles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcockles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcockles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcockles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcockles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
That is not how it works.

Any government can only govern either with the express support of the people or via repressive force. The latter option would be under the full view of the world and would represent the CCP committing suicide (the appetite for the world to take the CCP $$ and pretend Tibet, Xinjiang & HK aren't happening would be greatly diminished).

The government currently has destroyed every last vestige of its own credibility in the eyes of the people, so at some point there will have to be a political solution.
This is wonderfully optimistic post. I do hope you're right.
Pragmatically I doubt it. I slightly fuller list (likely far from complete) would have been:
  • Tibet,
  • Tiananmen Sq '89,
  • Xinjiang,
  • HK

CCP China has been the massive elephant in the room of World Politics for decades. If the world pretends that the first 3 didn't happen, then why not the 4th?
Old 01-09-2019, 02:08 PM
Quicker than the human I

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockles View Post
This is wonderfully optimistic post. I do hope you're right.
Pragmatically I doubt it. I slightly fuller list (likely far from complete) would have been:
  • Tibet,
  • Tiananmen Sq '89,
  • Xinjiang,
  • HK

CCP China has been the massive elephant in the room of World Politics for decades. If the world pretends that the first 3 didn't happen, then why not the 4th?
The difference with HK is (1) the sheer will of the people will not be broken. I appreciate it is hard for people outside HK to understand this, but polls consistently show 75-80% of the population solidly behind the protest movement and its demands (if not always its methods), and (2) the CCP has already lost the propaganda war in HK and cannot control the narrative / suppress reality as it can/could with all the others.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:16 PM

cockles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcockles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcockles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcockles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcockles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcockles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcockles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcockles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcockles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcockles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcockles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
The latter option would be under the full view of the world and would represent the CCP committing suicide (the appetite for the world to take the CCP $$ and pretend Tibet, Xinjiang & HK aren't happening would be greatly diminished).
I've looked back on some of the content you added on this topic. It's excellent, thanks!

Again on this point. How have you felt, being I assume in HK for the past 2 decades, seeing World Leaders 'stance' to CCP China?

I say 'stance' guardedly since it's down to interpretation. Some will say diplomatic, others will call it collaboration. I'd call it 'kowtow' myself.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:24 PM
Quicker than the human I

Also
- The police are thought to be close to breaking point. The sheer stress of being hated upon by angry hordes at every turn, and families ripped apart with one brother on the protest front line, the other wielding tear gas and bullets. If/when the police defect, it's game over.
- Reuters published an expose of how Carrie Lam offered to withdraw the extradition bill and set up an independent inquiry (2 key demands) but Xi said no. The CCP is riven with leaks and in-fighting of its own and is experiencing existential angst.
- Various pro-Beijing HK business and political figures have publicly urged Lam to accede to at least some of the demands. As they get hurt in the pocket, their resistance to the government hardline grows stronger.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:34 PM
Quicker than the human I

Quote:
I've looked back on some of the content you added on this topic. It's excellent, thanks!

Again on this point. How have you felt, being I assume in HK for the past 2 decades, seeing World Leaders 'stance' to CCP China?

I say 'stance' guardedly since it's down to interpretation. Some will say diplomatic, others will call it collaboration. I'd call it 'kowtow' myself.
Thanks, appreciated.

Ironically Trump's trade war with China could be the catalyst that ends the conflict here. He doesn't give a stuff about HK but the threat of HK losing its preferential trade arrangements could be a key lever. China is on the verge of a economic crash, and it could well spell the end for the CCP as well as a secure (if poorer) future for HK.

There's been a hell of a lot of prominent politicians and celebrities all over the place offering support for HK. Personally I put aside other political differences e.g. with prominent Tories or US Republicans, as they are right (mostly) about HK and the big picture is pressure on the CCP. A few dumbells like Bernie Saunders have totally lost my support with idiotic statements in support of the CCP where their ideology blinds them.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:40 PM
Quicker than the human I

Look up Guo Wengui for some of the inside line on the CCP.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:52 PM
Quicker than the human I

Here's a couple of my pics from yesterday's "shopping trip to Wanchai" (the police have taken to banning all legal assembly so technically anyone could have been arrested for illegal assembly (and many were)).

Hennessey Road, Wanchai circa 1930.

Lockhart Road / Luard Road, Wanchai, circa 1950

Same junction 2010, after police charged at protesters on Lockhart Road.

Last edited by hong_kong_hg; 01-09-2019 at 02:58 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Thanks, appreciated.

Ironically Trump's trade war with China could be the catalyst that ends the conflict here. He doesn't give a stuff about HK but the threat of HK losing its preferential trade arrangements could be a key lever. China is on the verge of a economic crash, and it could well spell the end for the CCP as well as a secure (if poorer) future for HK.

There's been a hell of a lot of prominent politicians and celebrities all over the place offering support for HK. Personally I put aside other political differences e.g. with prominent Tories or US Republicans, as they are right (mostly) about HK and the big picture is pressure on the CCP. A few dumbells like Bernie Saunders have totally lost my support with idiotic statements in support of the CCP where their ideology blinds them.
Yeah, I get your point that by accident Trump may help HK. I mainly meant the presidents since '88 and upto Trump (since I don't remember what was said prior - although Nixon must have been complicit too).
Bush x2, Clinton & Obama - all these eras have shown complicit US Administrations.

Remains to be seen what sort of 'Deal' the Trump era admin come up with.
I have heard Steve Bannon referring to the CCP (not the Nation China necessarily) being the problem, if that can be taken as an indication of where the Trump Show is heading.

I will look into your tip for more info, and appreciate again your incites (your shopping trip last night must remind you of Croydon ).

Most importantly, I hope it works out well for the people of HK.
Old 01-09-2019, 03:30 PM
Quicker than the human I

Quote:
Yeah, I get your point that by accident Trump may help HK. I mainly meant the presidents since '88 and upto Trump (since I don't remember what was said prior - although Nixon must have been complicit too).
Bush x2, Clinton & Obama - all these eras have shown complicit US Administrations.

Remains to be seen what sort of 'Deal' the Trump era admin come up with.
I have heard Steve Bannon referring to the CCP (not the Nation China necessarily) being the problem, if that can be taken as an indication of where the Trump Show is heading.

I will look into your tip for more info, and appreciate again your incites (your shopping trip last night must remind you of Croydon ).

Most importantly, I hope it works out well for the people of HK.
Thanks again - yes it leaves a bad taste in the mouth, but fact is Trump's "there's only winners and losers" mentality, coupled with Bannon's apocalyptic "genocide of all the non-whites" ideology are distinctly helpful to HK's cause right now, and yes previous presidents have all been complicit in propping up the CCP as it served their own aims.

As it happens I was in Croydon during the 2011 riots. What's happening in HK couldn't be further away from Croydon then, other than the loose association of people vs authority.
Old 01-09-2019, 04:07 PM
Quicker than the human I

Here's a really good summary of the current situation by Andreas Fulda on Al Jazeera

Additionally there's pretty good evidence that most of the violence that makes the headlines is coming from agents provocateurs dressed as protesters:
- Molotov cocktails
- Big fire set on Hennessey Road yesterday
- Dismantling of MTR ticket barriers yesterday/today

I can post links if people are interested - these don't make the mainstream news presumably as hard to prove catagorically - but see e.g. To view the link you have to Register or Login twitter feed.

Last edited by hong_kong_hg; 01-09-2019 at 04:14 PM.
Old 02-09-2019, 04:05 PM
Quicker than the human I

Quote:
- Reuters published an expose of how Carrie Lam offered to withdraw the extradition bill and set up an independent inquiry (2 key demands) but Xi said no. The CCP is riven with leaks and in-fighting of its own and is experiencing existential angst.

Snap analysis of this, either
- Lam is just playing for pity (in which case big fail), or
- Lam is defying Beijing, not telling us anything we didn't know but it undermines the CCP as it directly contradicts the tired, bare-faced lies she's repeated in umpteen presscons; and is possibly a precursor to her resignation, or
- The CCP is setting us up for Lam to be sacrificed

If it's 2 or 3 the opening LegCo session after the summer recess tomorrow could be rather interesting.