Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 29-09-2020, 12:46 PM

Bipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reaper View Post
To view the link you have to Register or Login

If you wanted to know what 1990 sounded like this is it. Even the rapper calling himself Captain Hollywood just screams this era
Love that video...the word 'cheap' doesn't really do it justice, looks like it cost them about £50 to make but they had a lot of fun doing it. Probably in the realisation that this was their one shot at 15 minutes of fame.
Old 29-09-2020, 01:24 PM

Bipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is here
Actually it reminds me somewhat of The Apprentice 'this week you're going to be running an ad campaign' episode.
Old 29-09-2020, 01:53 PM

simon : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesimon : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesimon : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesimon : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesimon : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesimon : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesimon : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesimon : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesimon : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesimon : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesimon : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I was at Liverpool University back then, and used to make most of the "northern" away fixtures. I was fully intending to go to this match, but woke up in the company of an extremely likeable young lady that I had recently started seeing. The lure of a warm house (they had central heating which was rare for students back then), Ceefax (again rare), a cooked breakfast etc. was simply too much to resist.

Unfortunately her housemate had had a row/split up with her boyfriend so my day was interrupted. Once that was sorted the match had started and I was following it on Ceefax/Radio, and was not to be distracted. A bit of an argument ensued, including a discussion on priorities in life, and that was that. Back to my cold house.

At least Palace had won, which was the main thing.
Old 29-09-2020, 07:19 PM
Yearning for Buckeye Road

Mad Max came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMad Max came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMad Max came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMad Max came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMad Max came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMad Max came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMad Max came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMad Max came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMad Max came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMad Max came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMad Max came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I remember the upper tier was wooden and we used this to great effect to make a hell of a din.
Old 30-09-2020, 01:03 AM

salad fan club came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsalad fan club came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsalad fan club came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsalad fan club came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsalad fan club came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsalad fan club came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsalad fan club came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsalad fan club came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsalad fan club came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsalad fan club came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsalad fan club came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipe View Post
Thanks Bubbs, that actually sounds similar to the situation my father found himself in last month when he'd wandered into town for a haircut and realised he wasn't going to make it. Luckily a couple of passers by came to his aid and managed to help him home, where he deteriorated and was declared dead about an hour later after immense work from the paramedics to revive him. But I will always be grateful to that couple for taking the time to get him home to be with his wife in his final moments rather than passing away in the street.

Back on topic and I think your scrapbook entries will add some real colour to this thread. Interesting on Salako as my recollection is pretty much the same as yours. He was definitely getting frustrated at the lack of regular game time in the early part of the 89/90 season and he ended up on loan at Swansea where our former assistant Ian Evans was manager. The reports at the time were that this was with a view to a potential permanent transfer. However Ian Wright's leg break in January opened the door for him. I recall that he started up front against Southampton, scored a couple and never really looked back. He certainly played an integral part in both the FA Cup semi and final, playing a more defensive role with great tactical discipline. So it seemed all set up for him to progress in the new season, although I guess the signing of Hodges as a left sided midfielder was a threat to him, albeit that Hodges was a different sort of player and certainly not an out and out winger like Salako.

Sorry just catching up

My condolences re your dad.
Old 30-09-2020, 01:59 AM
I'm thinking about it

Eddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is here
Missed this thread until now. Will try to get on board though. I definitely have a scrapbook somewhere - but may take me a while to dig it out.
Old 30-09-2020, 12:59 PM

I suppose the Derby game illustrated just how Coppell had struck gold with the Wright and Bright partnership. Garry Thompson had done a first rate job as stand-in, firstly for Wright's broken leg at the back end of the previous season and then as Bright regained fitness at the start of this. But in the first league game in which the two of them start, they score a goal each in a 2-0 win.

It really was a magical partnership and probably hard for younger fans to understand why and how it was such a big deal. These days we think we've struck gold if we can find one striker who can give us 15+ goals in a season. But if you look at the stats four the four seasons from 87/88 to 90/91, Wright and Bright delivered 178 goals, pretty evenly spread between the two. In other words say 45 per season or roughly one a game on average including cup games - probably a bit better than that once you take out games missed due to injury. Imagine a world where you turn up to every game with absolute confidence that at least one of your two strikers is likely to score. Poor old Christian Benteke will be turning in his grave at the very thought.
Old 01-10-2020, 04:48 AM

salad fan club came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsalad fan club came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsalad fan club came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsalad fan club came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsalad fan club came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsalad fan club came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsalad fan club came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsalad fan club came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsalad fan club came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsalad fan club came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsalad fan club came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
I suppose the Derby game illustrated just how Coppell had struck gold with the Wright and Bright partnership. Garry Thompson had done a first rate job as stand-in, firstly for Wright's broken leg at the back end of the previous season and then as Bright regained fitness at the start of this. But in the first league game in which the two of them start, they score a goal each in a 2-0 win.

It really was a magical partnership and probably hard for younger fans to understand why and how it was such a big deal. These days we think we've struck gold if we can find one striker who can give us 15+ goals in a season. But if you look at the stats four the four seasons from 87/88 to 90/91, Wright and Bright delivered 178 goals, pretty evenly spread between the two. In other words say 45 per season or roughly one a game on average including cup games - probably a bit better than that once you take out games missed due to injury. Imagine a world where you turn up to every game with absolute confidence that at least one of your two strikers is likely to score. Poor old Christian Benteke will be turning in his grave at the very thought.
Yes it was an amazing time I remember being confident going to games home or away, always thought we would get something ,sometimes we got lots like v Birmingham we scored 6 either 2 or Maybe even 3 times in a row
Old 02-10-2020, 09:35 PM
Back writing about Palace

Grim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:

Spot on. They got 49 in 49 (1987-88) and then followed up with 58 in 59 the following season to get us up.

Brighty struggled to get up to speed in the First Division - took him until that Millwall game to score in the leagie IIRC yet still ended up on 17 goals for the season in a team threatened with relegation, plus he was without his strike partner from pretty much January onwards. Now we'd go potty for someone scoring 17.

Christ, Ayew was anointed last year for scoring 9!
Old 02-10-2020, 09:49 PM

PemboExpress Sam the man is herePemboExpress Sam the man is herePemboExpress Sam the man is herePemboExpress Sam the man is herePemboExpress Sam the man is herePemboExpress Sam the man is herePemboExpress Sam the man is herePemboExpress Sam the man is herePemboExpress Sam the man is herePemboExpress Sam the man is herePemboExpress Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
I remember the upper tier was wooden and we used this to great effect to make a hell of a din.
Yes, this was was my first trip to the Baseball Ground and that's what I remember most about it.

We just seemed on such a roll at the start of this season and the 2-0 win was very comfortable if I recall rightly.
Old 04-10-2020, 11:11 AM

On 6 October we welcomed Leeds United to Selhurst Park. They had come up as champions the previous season, after having spent the best part of a decade outside the top division. They quickly established themselves as a force to be reckoned with and of course would go on to win the league the following season.

They were something of a mixed bag under Howard Wilkinson, certainly direct at times with Lee Chapman spearheading them up front in a traditional target man role. But the midfield quartet of Strachan, Speed, Batty and McAllister was as good as anything around in those days. Even Chapman to be fair was a better footballer than many gave him credit for, hence why he had slotted nicely into Brian Clough's Forest side for a couple of seasons. One of our short-lived old boys Chris Whyte had developed into a key player at the back for them.

The match ended in a 1-1 draw, Geoff Thomas notching for us with his third goal in four games. I remember it as a pretty tight and highly competitive affair, a draw probably being the fair result. But I await the match report with interest.
Old 04-10-2020, 11:22 AM
moving forward

art malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is here
I remember it tight too. Leeds fans very noisy. You’d never have guessed they’d win the title the following season.
Old 04-10-2020, 04:16 PM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Palace 1. Thomas
Leeds 1. Speed

Att: 22,445

Palace: Martyn. Humphrey. Shaw. Pardew. Young. Thorn. McGoldrick. Thomas. Bright. Wright. Barber. Subs: Gray (Pardew). Hodges (unused)

Old 04-10-2020, 04:22 PM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Was a cracking atmosphere but I found it a very frustrating game. Here were a newly promoted team that already looked like they were an established top flight side. It was a tough scrap from start to finish. They really had the fight about them and you couldn’t help but have grudging admiration for them. Felt we finally slapped them down when Thomas slotted in, only for Leeds to equalise from a corner minutes later.

Worth noting that Liverpool at this point had a 100% record. In fact, up until late February, they’d only lost twice in the league, against us and Arsenal.
Old 04-10-2020, 05:14 PM

Yes Liverpool started that season like a train, maybe putting lie to the often held view that our win against them at Villa Park had left deep and irredeemable psychological scars. At this stage of the season they seemed to Havelock shrugged that off without too much difficulty and were off and running in pursuit of yet another title.

Quite unusual to have four unbeaten teams after eight games played.
Old 04-10-2020, 06:19 PM
Back writing about Palace

Grim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Decent enough game but also one of many that if we'd turned a home draw into a win, might have fuelled a real title challenge from us rather than 'outside chance' at the title.

Weird to see Luton so high after they'd only escaped relegation with the most outlandish of comebacks in the last two games of the 1990 season (last minute winner v Palace; followed by comeback 3-2 win at Derby after being 2-0 down)

Weird thing I remember from behind the goal in the Whitehorse is the ball bouncing towards an open goal with Gary Speed (also facing the goal) able to clear it. I blamed myself for not screaming "SHOOT!" as he might have instinctively reacted to the shout and smashed it into the goal for a Palace winner. Ahhh the innocence of youth when all you want to do is whatever it takes to help the team.
Old 05-10-2020, 04:25 AM

If you look at the picture of Pardew tackling Batty above, isn’t that the Cup Final dance expression Pards is wearing?
Old 05-10-2020, 04:38 AM

Other news at this time....

Oct 3

Reunification of East and West Germany. West German flag is raised above the Brandenburg Gate on the stroke of midnight.

Little did we know that this historic news would be significant to Palace by the end of the season. Come April, and the whole Uefa cup spot debacle, East Germany were still given four European spots despite no longer existing, meaning England were only given one spot. The English FA, who fought hard and long to get Liverpool’s ban rescinded, didn’t bother to raise this issue with UEFA on behalf of Palace.
Old 05-10-2020, 09:38 AM

So taking you through the movers and shakers into the top 10 for week ending 6 October 1990:

Blue Velvet by Bobby Vinton - David Lynch movie tie-in as I recall. Somewhat baffling as to why it was so popular second time around, it eventually made it as high as number 2.

So Hard by Pet Shop Boys - one of their most enduring tracks, thanks in the main to the intriguing story-telling nature of the lyrics about infidelity.

The Anniversary Waltz Part One by Status Quo - AKA 'On and off and on again' I think this is the one the Wankers nicked for their cup final song 'Come On You Reds' a few years later. Dominated by a highly annoying keyboard riff earworm.

I Can't Stand It! by Twenty 4 Seven featuring Captain Hollywood - as mentioned by the Grim Reaper on this thread last week, here it is arriving in the top 10 in all its day-glo 1990s glory.
Old 05-10-2020, 09:53 AM

colonel came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcolonel came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcolonel came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcolonel came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcolonel came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcolonel came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcolonel came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcolonel came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcolonel came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcolonel came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcolonel came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post
If you look at the picture of Pardew tackling Batty above, isn’t that the Cup Final dance expression Pards is wearing?
It's also a challenge that would earn a red card these days...