Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 20-01-2019, 01:13 PM

Dodds came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDodds came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDodds came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDodds came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDodds came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDodds came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDodds came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDodds came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDodds came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDodds came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDodds came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Retirement

The rat race/work grind gets me pretty down so I'd personally retire tomorrow if I could but I'm not yet in a position to financially. I really envy those that have retired, I think it would be brilliant to never have to work again and every day do what you want leisure wise with no boss to answer to. There's so many countries to visit, books to read, films to watch, sports to play/watch, family and friends to meet up with, Internet to explore, places to eat and drink out, walks to go on etc that I doubt I would ever get bored personally. But then I hear of other people that have given up work say they miss it and find retirement boring.

So i'm just interested to know the following:

1. If you are retired already, what age did you retire at?

2. If you're not retired, what age do you realistically think your be able to?

3. To those that have retired, is it all it's cracked up to be?

Thanks

Last edited by Dodds; 20-01-2019 at 01:22 PM.
Old 20-01-2019, 01:21 PM

cpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is here
I've just turned 31 and would retire tomorrow if I could My boss is a nightmare but the job is very conveniently a few minutes away from home, fairly well paid, and I get a lot of time off. If someone offered me the same money or even a fair bit less to be 'retired', say as part of a university project to measure mental wellbeing, I would snap their hand off.

Of the few people i know who have retired, they all love it and do not miss work at all. I'm sure people who regret retirement and even some who head back to working life exist, but I've never encountered them.
Old 20-01-2019, 01:25 PM
Ichiro!

Adlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is here
I’m 41. I’m aiming to retire at 50, or more realistically whenever we have the net assets (house pensions, savings and investments) to be able to do it and have the lifestyle we want.
The Defector looks like no other breaking pitch in the game. It is well-supinated, leaving the right hand of Fernandez at a fastball trajectory before the laws of physics cease to apply and the laws of awesome take over.

Last edited by Adlerhorst; 20-01-2019 at 01:28 PM.
Old 20-01-2019, 01:27 PM
They didn't care enough

old git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodds View Post
The rat race/work grind gets me pretty down so I'd personally retire tomorrow if I could but I'm not yet in a position to financially. I really envy those that have retired, I think it would be brilliant to never have to work again and every day do what you want leisure wise with no boss to answer to. There's so many countries to visit, books to read, films to watch, sports to play/watch, family and friends to meet up with, Internet to explore, places to eat and drink out, walks to go on etc that I doubt I would ever get bored personally. But then I hear of other people that have given up work say they miss it and find retirement boring.

So i'm just interested to know the following:

1. If you are retired already, what age did you retire at?

2. If you're not retired, what age do you realistically think your be able to?

3. To those that have retired, is it all it's cracked up to be?

Thanks
2. At the age of nearly 56 I can retire in four years and probably will. Maybe after a year off I may look for a part time job but one that is very flexible and will not stop me doing what I want when I want. I finished my mortgage five years ago so no problem there and hopefully I should be O.K. financially.

Last edited by old git; 20-01-2019 at 01:29 PM.
Old 20-01-2019, 01:29 PM

LSEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLSEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLSEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLSEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLSEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLSEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLSEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLSEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLSEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLSEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLSEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I'm planning to retire early 50s currently 34), can't imagine anything better than not having to work
Old 20-01-2019, 01:31 PM

The Ferret : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineThe Ferret : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineThe Ferret : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineThe Ferret : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineThe Ferret : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineThe Ferret : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineThe Ferret : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineThe Ferret : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineThe Ferret : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineThe Ferret : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineThe Ferret : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I think its about what you do with your time, more time to devote to hobbies etc. If your not self motivated than I can see it being a bit of a bore.

Nor retired, my main concern is having good heath to enjoy it.
Old 20-01-2019, 01:33 PM
Legal Imbecile and BBS Prophet of Doom (Semi-Retired)

James Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is here
I retired at age 55 (nearly 13 years ago) and do not regret it at all. I certainly didn't hate my job - quite the contrary - but it did cause stress and there were so many other things that I wanted to do.

I am however well aware that early retirement isn't an option for many people, especially if you have children still at School and/or a mortgage and/or no savings or pension. I hesitated to answer the question, because I am not sure that my situation will help those who would like to retire, but cannot do so. However, to answer the questions posed honestly - yes, it's been everything that it's 'cracked up to be' (in that it has been far more enjoyable than I could possibly have imagined). It's given me the the opportunity to travel; to take up new hobbies; to enjoy following Palace and cricket (England and Surrey) to the full; and to spend valuable time with my wife and children.

As Rabbi Harold Kushner (or possibly Senator Paul Tsongas) once put it: Nobody on their deathbed has ever said "I wish I had spent more time at the office".
Old 20-01-2019, 01:33 PM

LN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is hereLN1 Sam the man is here
Have worked 33 of my 34 full time work years on shifts and on call and so much looking forward to retirement. Could possibly do it now but another five six years (59) would be perfect.
Old 20-01-2019, 01:36 PM

Yoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is here
I haven’t retired but mostly do part-time, seasonal and voluntary work now. But I do know several people who retired in their 50s-60s.

When you look at your wish list of things to do, bear in mind that many of those cost money not just time. So you’ll need money to do them. I don’t recommend retiring on a shoestring that means you can’t support yourself to fund some fun stuff. Better to work a bit longer, unless you have something like medical issues to consider.

Some retired people can become lonely more easily than they’d anticipated. You can soon become a bit cut off from daily life...which is appealing in one way, but not so great if you’re a sociable person.

When I look at my friends, some soon became v busy taking on additional tasks such as childminding their grandchildren or doing some of the school runs. As long as they kept that to a weekly routine I think they got a lot of pleasure from it and it gave some structure to how they spent their week.

I’d say the happiest retirees I know (in their 60s/70s) are those with some money to spend on themselves, some structure to their week (eg a part-time job, voluntary work or grandchild duties) and an active life that enables them to go out and about with friends and family (eg Palace matches!).

The least successful don’t have much going on, become sedentary and rather grumpy and negative.

Best advice a retiree once said to me was to say ‘yes’ to most invites and opportunities still, because they can help you stay mentally and physically active. If you get too negative, people stop asking.
Old 20-01-2019, 01:39 PM

Dodds came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDodds came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDodds came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDodds came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDodds came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDodds came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDodds came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDodds came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDodds came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDodds came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDodds came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I personally want to retire at around 55, 60 being the absolute latest. Life is to short to not to enjoy yourself and none of us know how long we have.
Old 20-01-2019, 01:39 PM
Ichiro!

Adlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
I retired at age 55 (nearly 13 years ago) and do not regret it at all. I certainly didn't hate my job - quite the contrary - but it did cause stress and there are so many other things that I wanted to do.

I am however well aware that early retirement isn't an option for many people, especially if you have children still at School and/or a mortgage and/or no savings or pension. I hesitated to answer the question, because I am not sure that my situation will help those who would like to retire, but cannot do so. However, to answer the questions posed honestly - yes, it's been everything that it's 'cracked up to be' (in that it has been far more enjoyable than I could possibly have imagined). It's given the the opportunity to travel; to take up hobbies; to enjoy following Palace and cricket (England and Surrey) to the full and to spend valuable time with my wife and children.
Children make a huge impact. We would be looking at a very different outcome if we had kids.

The question everyone should be looking at is what is their plan. I didn’t start retirement planning really seriously until I was in my early thirties, and I fully appreciate we were in a very fortunate position to be able to “catch up”.

If you don’t have a plan, and are not prepared to make serious sacrifices now, then you can kiss early retirement goodbye.
The Defector looks like no other breaking pitch in the game. It is well-supinated, leaving the right hand of Fernandez at a fastball trajectory before the laws of physics cease to apply and the laws of awesome take over.
Old 20-01-2019, 01:47 PM

Eaglesmad123 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEaglesmad123 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEaglesmad123 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEaglesmad123 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEaglesmad123 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEaglesmad123 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEaglesmad123 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEaglesmad123 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEaglesmad123 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEaglesmad123 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEaglesmad123 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Retirement is great. Its allowed me to do so much.
Old 20-01-2019, 02:01 PM

N Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is here
Retired at 57 from a job I loved but the stress had taken it's till healthwise. It was simple decision paid off mortgage with lump sum and was then no worse off with the monthly pension. Give it another year and the wife's pension kicks in.
Is it all that it's cracked up to be yes but you need to have a routine and social contact not just the wife. Some of the things you always promised to do when you retired fall by the way side. They have for me as healthwise coming mountains is not possible. It's not all holidays drinking which is why in whatever way make sure you get out and about meeting people. For me dog walking is one very easy way but joining clubs just getting out helps.
All told though I was lucky to be able too. Though I know the work I put in prior.
Old 20-01-2019, 02:02 PM
Account disabled

racehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I will be retiring in three years max , If you wait until you think you have enough money to still live the life , you will likely work yourself into an early grave or have a very short retirement .
I live a good lifestyle now but can cut back if needed and have decent assets /average pension to insulate myself more than most but will still have to cutback fairly heavily .
I don't mind working a few hours a week but nothing that involves shifts or weekends like I have done for the past 3 decades .
I need the kids to fly the nest first though .

Last edited by racehorse-80s; 20-01-2019 at 02:08 PM.
Old 20-01-2019, 02:07 PM

Golf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is here
There won’t be State pensions soon. The house of cards will crash and it will be split between those who can retire early and the rest will have to work until dead. Already going that way.

Last edited by Golf Boy; 20-01-2019 at 02:11 PM.
Old 20-01-2019, 02:14 PM
Account disabled

racehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf Boy View Post
There won’t be State pensions soon. The house of cards will crash and it will be split between those who can retire early and the rest will have to work until dead. Already going tgat way.
67 for me going up to 70 for younger adults , many die shortly before or after that age , If I make it to 67 i will treat it as a bonus rather than part of my pension planning .
The only thing which makes retirement slightly easier is the higher earning threshold before you pay tax and the removal of the requirement to pay N.I on your pension .
Old 20-01-2019, 02:14 PM

ovingdean agent : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineovingdean agent : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineovingdean agent : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineovingdean agent : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineovingdean agent : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineovingdean agent : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineovingdean agent : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineovingdean agent : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineovingdean agent : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineovingdean agent : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineovingdean agent : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I retired 12 years ago at 50 having worked for the same company for 32 years the first twenty of which were shift work.
Its been the best 12 years and its flown by I am fitter now than I have ever been in my life, I spend my time between gym/fishing/diving/cooking/gardening and holidays I am never bored as there is always something to do even if it is only strolling down the Marina and having a chat to mates and messing about on boats.
Old 20-01-2019, 02:16 PM
Account disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovingdean agent View Post
I retired 12 years ago at 50 having worked for the same company for 32 years the first twenty of which were shift work.
Its been the best 12 years and its flown by I am fitter now than I have ever been in my life, I spend my time between gym/fishing/diving/cooking/gardening and holidays I am never bored as there is always something to do even if it is only strolling down the Marina and having a chat to mates and messing about on boats.
Cool and how it should be .
Old 20-01-2019, 02:17 PM

Nth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is here
It partly depends upon your health, job situation and finances. Personally, I always thought I would want to retire as soon as i financially could but the nearer I get to 60 the less I want to. I hope to go on for a while but at 60 I would like to go down to four or perhaps even three days a week if my employer allowed.
Old 20-01-2019, 02:20 PM

Golf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovingdean agent View Post
That’s fantastic. However i don’t think that will be possible for most of future generations. The last 30-40 years saw massive gains for investments and property. Put the same away for the next 40 years and it won’t be much more than putting under the pillow.