Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 18-07-2019, 12:23 PM

Selhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan1 View Post
I was at that game (and the Chelsea one after it) but was only about 6 at the time.

Seem to remember the Palace keeper (Matt Clarke) making a howler for the goal but I may be wrong.
Just as I set foot onto the Holmesdale I watched the ball sail over Clarke's head and in. That's all I saw. All night.

The Chelsea game afterwards was also horrible but for different reasons. It was tagged onto the Family Fun Day & coincided with the Russian crook waving his cheque book about like a drunken sailor. There were Croydon Chelsea scum everywhere roaming around like arrogant arseholes.

Last edited by Selhurst Celtic; 18-07-2019 at 12:26 PM.
Old 18-07-2019, 12:50 PM
100% behind SP

tasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is heretasty_snacks Sam the man is here
Woking away circa 2000. Lost 2-0 IIRC with a team of kids & trialists (after being expressly told it was a 1st team fixture).

I do usually enjoy friendlies. Opportunity for a few beers in the sun and all that.

Once my kids are older I think a European friendly trips will be back on the table.
"And for the old, Brexit might well rid the country's care homes of Eastern European workers, but no blond blue eyed university graduate is going to come and wipe your arse or listen to your stories of the war you never fought in."

adrenalin john 17/05/19

https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showpost...&postcount=245
Old 18-07-2019, 03:23 PM

Selhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasty_snacks View Post
I do usually enjoy friendlies. Opportunity for a few beers in the sun and all that.
You've just reminded me of the worst friendly. Dulwich Hamlet away. Pre match I'd been patiently leaning on the counter waiting to order 2 pints of Guinness when in bowls Elbows Browett, cocky and flash as you like. He shoves a small child into the road, kicked a wheelchair in the back and then do you know what he did next? With no regard for bar room etiquette he barges in & proceeds to buy the world & his wife a drink whilst I stood there parched. The bloke is an animal.

Anyway, you were a complete drunken mess that day if I recall correctly.
Old 18-07-2019, 03:30 PM
jft39

west country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selhurst Celtic View Post
The Chelsea game afterwards was also horrible but for different reasons. It was tagged onto the Family Fun Day & coincided with the Russian crook waving his cheque book about like a drunken sailor. There were Croydon Chelsea scum everywhere roaming around like arrogant arseholes.
Yeah, that wasn't great either. I took my missus to that match so got tickets in the Family Stand or whatever it's called. There were some Chelsea wankers sat in our seats, but after I had coolly and calmly explained the situation, they f~cked off. Were you in the Holmesdale Upper?
Old 18-07-2019, 03:33 PM

Lower, I think.

That wasn't the game with the post match incident involving the big fella in the Prince George was it?
Old 18-07-2019, 03:36 PM
jft39

west country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selhurst Celtic View Post
Lower, I think.

That wasn't the game with the post match incident involving the big fella in the Prince George was it?
Not that I know of - I took Mcwcb to the Alliance post-match and she was suitably impressed.
Old 18-07-2019, 03:43 PM
O Captain! My Captain!

Pub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is here
I took a chelsea twat to that game!

He phoned me as i was leaving the house and asked if I could take him.... I wasnt happy about it and he did behave but I will probably now go to hell.
Old 18-07-2019, 03:48 PM
O Captain! My Captain!

Pub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is here
I do recall a game at Selhurst where AJ played his first game against Leicester (maybe) and he looked decent.... but his finishing wasnt great - Wont score many goals for Palace I thought.
Old 18-07-2019, 04:41 PM

Bipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold76 View Post
Yes, 3 times I've been to Crawley as it's local, never seen us win and don't fancy going again, ground in middle of nowhere and no pub for miles..

Thank **** we haven't arranged a game this year!
We played them preseason at their ground 1994/95, pretty sure we won although can't for the life of me remember anything of the game other than we wore our new black away kit and Ray Wilkins was playing.
Old 20-07-2019, 10:12 PM

ElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is here
I can't remember the quality of the football but one memorably dismal experience was at Fulham in the late 80's. It was back in the days when the away end at Craven Cottage was uncovered terracing and in the 2nd half, the heavens opened and one of the most torrential downpours that I've ever witnessed in this country ensued.

It was so biblically bad that the stewards let us into the covered stand to our right. Everybody was still completely drenched and since we'd arranged to head straight up to town after the match to hook up some other friends, the experience put something of a downer the the whole evening. I think we won but that wasn't what stuck in my memory all these years later.
Old 21-07-2019, 08:41 AM
Keeping The Faith

gold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is here
I saw us at Fulham in the early 90's friendly, Palace in their pomp, Fulham, Division 4 rubbish, we won 5-0..

In terms of biblical rain, which is for another thread, both in 93

Good, the now legendary 3-1 Chelsea game
Bad, a horrifying Good Friday 0-4 Wimbledon mauling

Last edited by gold76; 30-07-2019 at 04:41 PM.
Old 25-07-2019, 04:20 AM
Morally devoid scum

danpalace07 Sam the man is heredanpalace07 Sam the man is heredanpalace07 Sam the man is heredanpalace07 Sam the man is heredanpalace07 Sam the man is heredanpalace07 Sam the man is heredanpalace07 Sam the man is heredanpalace07 Sam the man is heredanpalace07 Sam the man is heredanpalace07 Sam the man is heredanpalace07 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan1 View Post
I was at that game (and the Chelsea one after it) but was only about 6 at the time.

Seem to remember the Palace keeper (Matt Clarke) making a howler for the goal but I may be wrong.
if I remember correctly Dougie scored a great lob in that
Old 30-07-2019, 03:16 PM
Back writing about Palace

Grim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold76 View Post
I saw us at Fulham in the early 90's friendly, Palace in their pompey, Fulham, Division 4 rubbish, we won 5-0..

In terms of biblical rain, which is for another thread, both in 93

Good, the now legendary 3-1 Chelsea game
Bad, a horrifying Good Friday 0-4 Wimbledon mauling
They were just plain old rain. The true BIBLICAL rain was the chaotic end to the 'family day' game v Tranmere in late 1999. 2-0 up with 7 minutes to go and then the heavens opened. Kids screaming in the Arthur and the match was played against the backdrop of kids crying as they tried to work their way to the back of the stand as the rain came in horizontally.

Tranmere got a goal back. More wailing! This chaos and distress then transmitted itself to our young team who proceed to play like idiots allowing Tranmere to make it 2-2 with the last kick of the game. I was livid. Yet another unlucky family day (the previous one saw us us lose our 17 match unbeaten home run back in April!) and I can only assume every kid who was crying never came back again.

As for friendlies, I'm struggling to come up with any bad moments as I've never seen us lose one. In fact, we've won every one bar the time we drew 2-2 at Gillingham in 1997. Some lad called Akinbiyi looked red hot for the Gills that day. Whatever happened to him???
The One More Point book is underway....and only 12 years late. This will be a book about not just One More Point but a look at all fanzines and their impact. It will look at what it was like being a Palace fan and football fan back in the 80s/90s. If you have comments, memories or just to remind me some (most likely drunken) incident back in the day then please PM me. And if you can think of a decent title then please step right up!
Old 30-07-2019, 03:21 PM
Collecting Palace tat

Dorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is here
Fulham, summer 1994, weren't you ejected from the away terrace at Craven Cottage for selling those "Champions 94" baseball caps?
"Crystal Palace is cult viewing, like a late night TV show that only a few people know about, like a precious record that was never number one but makes everybody who knows it want to dance and sing… and sometimes cry." Tony, 3-7-2001

"Well, as I said before, we are only 6 points behind 4th from bottom with the prize of an additional £65 million (minimum) if we stay up. So, we'd be bonkers if that wasn't the top priority. Nobody's giving up on staying in this league." CPFC2010, 5-11-2013