Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Crystal Palace Football Club Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 23-04-2008, 10:07 AM
Adult Member

David of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavid of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavid of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavid of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavid of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavid of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavid of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavid of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavid of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavid of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavid of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally posted by selhurstparkflyer
Only the bottom side scored fewer than us I seem to recall as well..51 or something.
Not quite that bad.

Nine teams scored fewer than us and another three scored the same.
The darkest moments of our lives are not to be buried and forgotten, rather they are a memory to be called upon for inspiration to remind us of the unrelenting human spirit and our capacity to overcome the intolerable.
Old 24-04-2008, 11:03 AM

Hadham Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHadham Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHadham Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHadham Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHadham Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHadham Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHadham Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHadham Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHadham Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHadham Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHadham Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Memorable night that was and it got me thinking about the team we fielded for the Burnley game.

I'm trying to do this from memory (without any help from the BBS or Wiki) and I think this was the squad (inc subs)

Burridge, Sansom, Hinshelwood, Cannon, Fenwick, Gilbert, Hilaire, Kember, Nicholas, Swindlehurst, Walsh, Elwiss.

Probably got some wrong or missed a few out but it occured to me how many of the players we'd produced ourselves through the youth/scouting system
Old 24-04-2008, 11:09 AM
For ancient football

Granada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Elwiss was crocked for most of the season I think you'll find, Hadham. Don't think he featured on that fantastic night.
Old 24-04-2008, 11:27 AM
The Seventh Son

Scoot : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineScoot : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineScoot : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineScoot : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineScoot : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineScoot : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineScoot : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineScoot : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineScoot : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineScoot : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineScoot : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I was also thinking about the Burnley game a few years laster. Last game of the season on a Tuesday night at home. We won to stay in the old division 2. Ian Edwards with the winner.
I wonder had we lost and been relegated with the state of affiars at the time, would we have ever recovered?
I think not and sad to think that as a result the Coppell years may never had occurred.
Old 25-04-2008, 06:28 AM

Hadham Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHadham Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHadham Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHadham Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHadham Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHadham Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHadham Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHadham Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHadham Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHadham Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineHadham Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Thanks Granada, now I remember he did get a long term injury that season and the last game I recall him being involved in was the 3-1 home win over Brighton (same season but Aug/Sep 78)
Old 25-04-2008, 09:25 AM
Adult Member

David of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavid of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavid of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavid of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavid of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavid of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavid of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavid of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavid of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavid of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavid of Kent came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally posted by Hadham Eagle
I'm trying to do this from memory (without any help from the BBS or Wiki) and I think this was the squad (inc subs)

Burridge, Sansom, Hinshelwood, Cannon, Fenwick, Gilbert, Hilaire, Kember, Nicholas, Swindlehurst, Walsh, Elwiss.

Probably got some wrong or missed a few out but it occured to me how many of the players we'd produced ourselves through the youth/scouting system
Jerry Murphy played that night. As was said, Elwiss had been injured long before and we had Swindlehurst and Walsh up front.

I've got it in my mind that Fenwick (the usual replacement for most of the defence and midfield) may have played on the night, but can't think who he would have played instead of. I could be wrong!!
The darkest moments of our lives are not to be buried and forgotten, rather they are a memory to be called upon for inspiration to remind us of the unrelenting human spirit and our capacity to overcome the intolerable.
Old 25-04-2008, 11:44 AM
Golden Oldie

Ruskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is here
Believe Fenwick was the unused sub on the night
Old 25-04-2008, 11:51 AM

DE - Glad All Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDE - Glad All Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDE - Glad All Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDE - Glad All Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDE - Glad All Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDE - Glad All Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDE - Glad All Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDE - Glad All Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDE - Glad All Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDE - Glad All Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDE - Glad All Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally posted by Hadham Eagle
Memorable night that was and it got me thinking about the team we fielded for the Burnley game.

Being a saddo, i still have a scrap-book newspaper cutting of that game, must did it out...
Old 25-04-2008, 12:07 PM
Balding Eagle

Palace Dan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Dan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Dan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Dan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Dan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Dan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Dan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Dan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Dan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Dan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalace Dan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I thought he was a great player - him and Jim Cannon really let nothing through the middle. Coupled with the likes of Ken Sansom, it is not surprising that in the 79 champion season we barely let a goal in!

Who was it that missed the team bus to Bristol Rovers away that season - was it Billy??
Old 25-04-2008, 12:35 PM
Adult Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruskin Old Boy
I think you're right. I could be thinking of the 2nd to last home game (or the away one at Orient)
Old 25-04-2008, 12:50 PM

dowieslovechild Sam the man is heredowieslovechild Sam the man is heredowieslovechild Sam the man is heredowieslovechild Sam the man is heredowieslovechild Sam the man is heredowieslovechild Sam the man is heredowieslovechild Sam the man is heredowieslovechild Sam the man is heredowieslovechild Sam the man is heredowieslovechild Sam the man is heredowieslovechild Sam the man is here
Easily the hardest player we've ever had. Tough as nails.
Old 25-04-2008, 01:06 PM

Will S : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWill S : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWill S : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWill S : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWill S : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWill S : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWill S : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWill S : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWill S : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWill S : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWill S : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
An ex pro (not Palace) who played with him at Portsmouth once told me Gilbert's party trick, of a night out, was to throw himself down a flight of stairs... whereupon he'd get up with a goofy grin and do it again...

Kids today - calling themselves hard...
Old 25-04-2008, 01:09 PM

DE - Glad All Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDE - Glad All Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDE - Glad All Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDE - Glad All Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDE - Glad All Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDE - Glad All Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDE - Glad All Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDE - Glad All Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDE - Glad All Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDE - Glad All Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDE - Glad All Over came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Burnley game here..

To view the link you have to Register or Login
To view the link you have to Register or Login

Last edited by DE - Glad All Over; 25-04-2008 at 01:12 PM.
Old 25-04-2008, 01:37 PM

will hung : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewill hung : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewill hung : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewill hung : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewill hung : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewill hung : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewill hung : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewill hung : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewill hung : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewill hung : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewill hung : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally posted by dowieslovechild
Easily the hardest player we've ever had. Tough as nails.
no way
Old 25-04-2008, 02:03 PM

silverymoon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsilverymoon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsilverymoon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsilverymoon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsilverymoon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsilverymoon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsilverymoon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsilverymoon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsilverymoon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsilverymoon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsilverymoon came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Roger hynd was the hardest player that I have ever seen playing for the palace. Billy Gilbert was a total nutter and loved by everyone. Would have loved to see him mark that **** cantona. No respect for anyone loved it when he marked osgood and knocked him flying when he first started. Osgood did not think that anyone should touch him. Was Billy bothered.
Old 25-04-2008, 03:16 PM
Adult Member

My favourite Billy Gilbert story is one told by Mick "Pie Muncher" Quinn.

In a dirty Portsmouth-Wimbledon game (likely in the 80's), there was a good deal of tension throughout the 1st half. The game was always on the verge of getting a bit "tasty".

Anyway, at half time, Quinn was walking down the tunnell and coming toward the steps when he saw Fashanu barge Billy Gilbert down the steps in front of him. Quinn jumped on Fash's back and it all started getting violent with Vinny Jones and many others all involved.

The police separated the teams and, when Pompey got back to their changing room, Alan Ball stood angrily in the middle and wanted to know what the feck was going on out there. Quinn piped up that Wimbledon had started it when Fash pushed Billy down the steps of the tunnell, to which Billy replied "no he didn't, I just tripped".
Old 25-04-2008, 03:26 PM

Gumball has reached a state of spiritual enlightenmentGumball has reached a state of spiritual enlightenmentGumball has reached a state of spiritual enlightenmentGumball has reached a state of spiritual enlightenmentGumball has reached a state of spiritual enlightenmentGumball has reached a state of spiritual enlightenmentGumball has reached a state of spiritual enlightenmentGumball has reached a state of spiritual enlightenmentGumball has reached a state of spiritual enlightenmentGumball has reached a state of spiritual enlightenmentGumball has reached a state of spiritual enlightenment
I remember an absolute scorcher he scored against Bolton I think, which if I remember right we won 3-1. One of the best shots I've ever seen, 40 yards out, straight as a dye and still rising when it nearly broke the net!
Old 25-04-2008, 03:43 PM

Mister Parks hopes the chip shop isn't closed, 'cos their pies are really niceMister Parks hopes the chip shop isn't closed, 'cos their pies are really niceMister Parks hopes the chip shop isn't closed, 'cos their pies are really niceMister Parks hopes the chip shop isn't closed, 'cos their pies are really niceMister Parks hopes the chip shop isn't closed, 'cos their pies are really niceMister Parks hopes the chip shop isn't closed, 'cos their pies are really niceMister Parks hopes the chip shop isn't closed, 'cos their pies are really niceMister Parks hopes the chip shop isn't closed, 'cos their pies are really niceMister Parks hopes the chip shop isn't closed, 'cos their pies are really niceMister Parks hopes the chip shop isn't closed, 'cos their pies are really niceMister Parks hopes the chip shop isn't closed, 'cos their pies are really nice
Quote:
Originally posted by Ruskin Old Boy
Arguably his best position

Old 25-04-2008, 04:50 PM
Account disabled

racehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally posted by Scoot
I was also thinking about the Burnley game a few years laster. Last game of the season on a Tuesday night at home. We won to stay in the old division 2. Ian Edwards with the winner.
I wonder had we lost and been relegated with the state of affiars at the time, would we have ever recovered?
I think not and sad to think that as a result the Coppell years may never had occurred.

A decent crowd of 29.000 if i remember correctly.
Old 25-04-2008, 04:54 PM
Made in Bromley

monkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
good to read the stuff about Billy,cheers people!!!

I think the thing with him was back in the 70's your average centre back was just solid,hard,a bit dirty,the old fashioned stopper type,Ron Harris,tommy smith,norman hunter etc,well suddenly we had someone who was all of the above but he had a turn of pace as well