Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Crystal Palace Football Club Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 20-04-2001, 03:00 AM

PJ : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePJ : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePJ : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePJ : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePJ : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePJ : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePJ : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePJ : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePJ : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePJ : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePJ : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Palace on the big screen.

Fairly recently I saw the film My Beautiful Laundrette which is based in South London and stars Daniel Day Lewis as a gay ex-skinhead who has an affair with a Pakistani bloke. Anyway, in the first half, there is a scene when the gang of skinheads that he used to hang out with are berating him for not 'hanging out with the lads' anymore. After a list of complaints that they throw at him, one of these blokes challenge him "and another thing: how come you don't go down Palace no more ?" to which he replies "I prefer Millwall now" or words to that effect.

Anyway, seems like a tenuous enough excuse for another thread. Are there any other celluloid references to the mighty Eagles out there in the film archives ? Surely that's not the only one.
Old 20-04-2001, 03:39 AM

2can endeavours to be what they aspire to appear2can endeavours to be what they aspire to appear2can endeavours to be what they aspire to appear2can endeavours to be what they aspire to appear2can endeavours to be what they aspire to appear2can endeavours to be what they aspire to appear2can endeavours to be what they aspire to appear2can endeavours to be what they aspire to appear2can endeavours to be what they aspire to appear2can endeavours to be what they aspire to appear2can endeavours to be what they aspire to appear
Quote:
Originally posted by PJ:
to which he replies "I prefer Millwall now" or words to that effect.
Shudder.
Old 20-04-2001, 12:37 PM
Inventor of Jack Shit

Ian Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is here
This may turn out to be one of the shortest ever threads.

"Palace on the big screen"? We may have to take a few liberties here.....

I'm pretty sure there was a shot of Buckingham Palace in an old war film I was watching the other day. And didn't the Palace of Versailles appear in "The Day Of The Jackal"?
Old 20-04-2001, 12:49 PM
An Alpha Deplorable.

Mat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
The following are very 'weak' but so what !

If memory serves me right ( and it does not very often ) there was a Palace scarf seen hanging in the hallway of the Trotter residence in one of the early 'Only Fools and Horses' residence.

And an episode of Minder, when the plot line is that they are being paid to 'mind' a footballer ( A George Best/Stan Bowles type ) and when listening out for the scores the Palace result is specifically asked for.

On the literary side I have read
about Palace fans 'blamed' for wrecking the wedding reception of Nick Sharman, a very sleazy South London private eye, following a fight with an Aresnal fan caused by CPFC 'winning' at Higbury 3-1 and there was a book by Paul Theoreux(sp?) which is about a family from Deptford ( sorry the title escapes me ) that has mention of graffiti reading 'All Palace fans are B@stards" which is nice.
Old 20-04-2001, 01:29 PM

Glazier is playing for a contract
Did get a mention recently on The Weakest Link. With the two contestants at the end. The question was: Which London football team are known as The Eagles? The reply being Fulham.

I also remember actor John Salthouse playing Tony in the black comedy 'Abigails Party' saying he was an ex-pro who played for Palace.
Old 20-04-2001, 01:32 PM

MattUpNorth is playing for a contract
re Palace on the big screen:

The film Wonderland (out last year, directed by Michael Winterbottom) has a scene where the estranged father takes his Palace-supporting son to Selhurst Park. It's the Birmingham match from a couple of seasons ago that finished 1-1 I think. I reckon Palace (as opposed to, say, Arsenal) were chosen in order to extract maximum pathos. I think the father even asks his son "Why do you support this crap?", but I can't remember the reply.

Also, 70s classic Abigail's Party has a character who "had trials for Crystal Palace".
Old 20-04-2001, 01:44 PM

tw was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlstw was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlstw was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlstw was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlstw was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlstw was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlstw was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlstw was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlstw was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlstw was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlstw was in another world, a world of 20,000 girls
where can i get to see this abigails party, some of my mates told me it is the funniest thing ever, but no-one has a copy
Old 20-04-2001, 02:05 PM

surrey g dances on the sands, and yet no footing seensurrey g dances on the sands, and yet no footing seensurrey g dances on the sands, and yet no footing seensurrey g dances on the sands, and yet no footing seensurrey g dances on the sands, and yet no footing seensurrey g dances on the sands, and yet no footing seensurrey g dances on the sands, and yet no footing seensurrey g dances on the sands, and yet no footing seensurrey g dances on the sands, and yet no footing seensurrey g dances on the sands, and yet no footing seensurrey g dances on the sands, and yet no footing seen
John Salthouse did have trials at Palace as well. Art imitating real life. Abigails Party should be available on video in one of the big stores. If you want more Mike Leigh check out Meantime; Nuts in May; Life is Sweet and one which name escapes me starring Brenda Blethyn dealing with being contacted by her estanged daughter who happens to be black. And rather gorgeous! I recall one called Grown Ups with Philip Davis being rather good too. Why not check them all out. You wouldn't be wasting your time unlike Alan Smith.
Old 20-04-2001, 02:19 PM

Chris K Sam the man is hereChris K Sam the man is hereChris K Sam the man is hereChris K Sam the man is hereChris K Sam the man is hereChris K Sam the man is hereChris K Sam the man is hereChris K Sam the man is hereChris K Sam the man is hereChris K Sam the man is hereChris K Sam the man is here
There was an advert on tv a few years ago where they were filming a Man Utd side with various great players from down the years. The ground the game is being held at is Selhurst.
Old 20-04-2001, 02:23 PM
No grasp on reality

Quentin Harrioitt is playing for a contract
Bob the Builders assistant Wendy is often spotted wearing a red and blue scarf. I wonder if Palace loving Neil Morrisey stipulated it as a rider when he agreed to do the voice of Bob? He can also be seen in the latest Homebase advert (or is it B&Q - the power of advertising eh?) wearing a red and blue scarf. TOP MAN.
Old 20-04-2001, 03:01 PM

hilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minehilairehair : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
What about Chris Armstrong and Gareth Southgate appearing on Sean Hughes' show in the mid 90's. I seem to remember Palace had won the European Cup in it.

Also a question on University Challenge a couple of years ago. Which is the only league team that doesn't have a vowel in the first five letters of their name?
Old 20-04-2001, 03:19 PM
♥ Mile

zonin2000 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietzonin2000 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietzonin2000 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietzonin2000 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietzonin2000 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietzonin2000 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietzonin2000 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietzonin2000 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietzonin2000 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietzonin2000 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietzonin2000 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I saw palace on the big screen at selhurst park.

not directly related, Julian Joachim is supposed to make a fleeting appearance in Hannibal, playing for Leicester on the TV in a pub. Has anyone seen this?
Old 20-04-2001, 05:21 PM

CK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Can't remember the name but there was a play on soccer violence a few years back that shot a scene in the main stand overlooking the pitch.

------------------
Bert Head What a tactician!
Old 20-04-2001, 05:27 PM

eagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is here
You might be thinking of The Firm starring a certain Gary Oldman
Old 20-04-2001, 05:35 PM
The Eagle HAS landed.....

ukjay_29 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineukjay_29 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineukjay_29 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineukjay_29 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineukjay_29 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineukjay_29 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineukjay_29 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineukjay_29 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineukjay_29 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineukjay_29 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineukjay_29 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
You are indeed correct Sir, I believe the film was 'ID'......But don't quote me on that!
Quote:
Originally posted by CK:
Can't remember the name but there was a play on soccer violence a few years back that shot a scene in the main stand overlooking the pitch.

Old 20-04-2001, 05:37 PM
I was cured all right!

freebird wants to be part of the human racefreebird wants to be part of the human racefreebird wants to be part of the human racefreebird wants to be part of the human racefreebird wants to be part of the human racefreebird wants to be part of the human racefreebird wants to be part of the human racefreebird wants to be part of the human racefreebird wants to be part of the human racefreebird wants to be part of the human racefreebird wants to be part of the human race
Didn't ID have a Palace Fan in it.
Old 20-04-2001, 05:39 PM
I was cured all right!

freebird wants to be part of the human racefreebird wants to be part of the human racefreebird wants to be part of the human racefreebird wants to be part of the human racefreebird wants to be part of the human racefreebird wants to be part of the human racefreebird wants to be part of the human racefreebird wants to be part of the human racefreebird wants to be part of the human racefreebird wants to be part of the human racefreebird wants to be part of the human race
I think Sean Pertwee played a Palace Fan who was shot in the end as some sort of retribution. Long time since I saw the movie.
Old 20-04-2001, 05:40 PM

CK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCK came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Is'nt there a ad (can't remember what for) with a bloke driving two young kids to a match trying to convince them that they're going to enjoy it when they get there?

Check out the scarf on the little lad, It don't half look red and blue!!

------------------
Old 20-04-2001, 05:42 PM
I was cured all right!

Theres a crap sitcom about two English guys living in California...one of thems got a Palace shirt.
Old 20-04-2001, 05:48 PM

Jim Piddock wrote it.

He's red and blue.

------------------