Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Crystal Palace Football Club General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 05-10-2019, 07:31 AM
Just call me sarge!!

Ardent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
I was reading the snippet on the Palace web site about the players revealing the secret to their success in the 03/04 season, and the players interviewed point to Iain Dowie and his training methods as the reason.

To view the link you have to Register or Login

I suspect that there was a good team in there before, but just needed to believe in themselves and get fitter. The fact that probably all teams now train to this level, and the fact that Dowie probably loses his new manager impact real quick, plus a lack of tactical nous contributes to the fact he has never really made it as a manager in the long term.

Right man at the right time comes to mind reading the article.
I always credited Kit Symons with that transformation. Things were turning post Kember before potato head came in. Excluding the Wigan game. And of course kit stayed on with potato head.
Don't shoot the messenger, but someone tried telling me in the pub last week that we're close to administration again. I wouldn't have it, but he reckoned he had a 'source' and insisted it was true. I don't believe a word of it, but just hearing the 'a' word is enough to send a shiver down my spine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPFC2010
Ha ha, complete and utter bollocks.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:40 AM
Just call me sarge!!

Ardent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Aguila View Post
That Charlton press conference was a moment of Jordan brilliance. Hope SJ attends the dinner. In truth it worked out quite well for us.
That would be great fun to see if SJ was given a chance to speak.
Don't shoot the messenger, but someone tried telling me in the pub last week that we're close to administration again. I wouldn't have it, but he reckoned he had a 'source' and insisted it was true. I don't believe a word of it, but just hearing the 'a' word is enough to send a shiver down my spine.

Quote:
Old 05-10-2019, 07:43 AM
Just call me sarge!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefox View Post
Will both leave halfway through if someone offers them more money ?
Pmsl

Quote:
Old 05-10-2019, 07:46 AM
Just call me sarge!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 917L View Post
Let's not forget Dowie was also a very good Striker for us
Shame he didn't like playing the big man up top for us. I still think that if shipps had played more in that Premiershite season we would have stayed up. Almost permanently stuck to the bench. He played for Sheffield utd in the Premiershite next season and scored goals in a struggling team. Incomprehensible by potato head.

Quote:
Old 05-10-2019, 08:45 AM

Stan the man Sam the man is hereStan the man Sam the man is hereStan the man Sam the man is hereStan the man Sam the man is hereStan the man Sam the man is hereStan the man Sam the man is hereStan the man Sam the man is hereStan the man Sam the man is hereStan the man Sam the man is hereStan the man Sam the man is hereStan the man Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardent Eagle Forever View Post
I always credited Kit Symons with that transformation. Things were turning post Kember before potato head came in. Excluding the Wigan game. And of course kit stayed on with potato head.
I think that's very generous to Kit. Dowie was a real leader. A flawed and perhaps one dimensional one, but absolutely the right man for the club at the right time.
Old 05-10-2019, 08:46 AM

Stan the man Sam the man is hereStan the man Sam the man is hereStan the man Sam the man is hereStan the man Sam the man is hereStan the man Sam the man is hereStan the man Sam the man is hereStan the man Sam the man is hereStan the man Sam the man is hereStan the man Sam the man is hereStan the man Sam the man is hereStan the man Sam the man is here
Quote:
Shame he didn't like playing the big man up top for us. I still think that if shipps had played more in that Premiershite season we would have stayed up. Almost permanently stuck to the bench. He played for Sheffield utd in the Premiershite next season and scored goals in a struggling team. Incomprehensible by potato head.
Didn't we play one up front for most of that season? Don't think Shipps could play that role tbh
Old 05-10-2019, 09:12 AM

cpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is here
Quote:
I agree with your point, but Shipperley didn't score for Sheffield United in the Premier League.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:42 AM
Millsie02

Shipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is here
Another point raised from Shipps podcast stuff was that Dowie told him later he should have played him more.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:19 AM

redeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietredeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietredeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietredeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietredeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietredeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietredeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietredeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietredeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietredeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietredeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I agree with what others have said. That promotion season under Dowie was one of my favourite ever. Under Jordan there had seemed to be a toxic atmosphere for a while and suddenly all the negativity seemed to be transformed into positivity and togetherness. The next season was such a disappointment.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:35 AM

RobertCPFC Sam the man is hereRobertCPFC Sam the man is hereRobertCPFC Sam the man is hereRobertCPFC Sam the man is hereRobertCPFC Sam the man is hereRobertCPFC Sam the man is hereRobertCPFC Sam the man is hereRobertCPFC Sam the man is hereRobertCPFC Sam the man is hereRobertCPFC Sam the man is hereRobertCPFC Sam the man is here
Forget what Dowie, Symons and the players did. The reason for the change in form was the following game after losing 5-0 to Wigan we drew with Preston which was my first ever game. If I hadn't gone who knows what would have happened.

Joking aside it was a great time with Palace going up the league and getting in the play offs at the last possible moment. I remember the week before we beat Walsall very late on in the last home game. For my 10th birthday I was given a Kit Symons shirt signed by the squad that is still up at home.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:43 AM
substitute

beef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is herebeef Sam the man is here
I think Dowie's downfall was his poor recruitment. Seeing Wayne Andrews play in the Premier League said a lot.

Dowie was a good motivator but the team he had constructed by the end was pretty ordinary. I wasn't bothered one bit when he left for Charlton and predicted it would go pear shaped for him there.