Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

View Poll Results: Hide and seek
He hides too well we will never find him 383 47.52%
He's great! 263 32.63%
Moo! 160 19.85%
Voters: 806. You may not vote on this poll

Old 18-10-2019, 01:55 PM
I'm thinking about it

Eddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is here
If it keeps him here until he is 30 and he is a useful but non-scoring centre forward I think I'm OK with that.

Even in his current form, how much do we think it would cost to find a player like him playing a similar role to a similar level?

We may find one who is out of contract, but it wouldn't be easy and they would command a large signing on fee and lower but still considerable wages.

But if, as is likely, we couldn't find one out of contract, then we would probably be paying around 10m(minimum) - 15m (more likely) for them before wages. Which again would probably be a bit cheaper than Benteke's but still significant.

Would I take Benteke on a season long loan for 4 or 5m? Maybe, maybe not.

But if we knew we would have him for one more season (so like a season loan) and also have the opportunity to fetch a transfer fee for him should we get an able replacement and an acceptable bid comes in? Yes, I think so.

Moreover, and something I think a lot of people are overlooking. As poor as he has been, we don't have many other strikers who could come in to the team. So I wouldn't want him to go until we definitely have a replacement who is better, here and performing.
Old 18-10-2019, 02:02 PM

Dave Hedgehog Sam the man is hereDave Hedgehog Sam the man is hereDave Hedgehog Sam the man is hereDave Hedgehog Sam the man is hereDave Hedgehog Sam the man is hereDave Hedgehog Sam the man is hereDave Hedgehog Sam the man is hereDave Hedgehog Sam the man is hereDave Hedgehog Sam the man is hereDave Hedgehog Sam the man is hereDave Hedgehog Sam the man is here
Presumably the logic is that we will get a return on part of the transfer fee at some point. And that keeping him here as second/third choice while we search for a proper striker is cheaper than running down his contract and having to find two strikers.

But personally I don't see us ever receiving a transfer fee. He has already turned China down once. No other top-flight European team will fancy his wages or his bleak recent record. A Turkish club might take him off our hands for a nominal fee - but they would still baulk at his wages.

Have said my piece on Benteke already, but it's rare that I genuinely hate watching a Palace player. The lack of effort, absence of intelligence and desire is intolerable.

It's pretty clear that something has gone badly wrong in his head - so I was shocked to read that he has not consulted a sports psychologist. Even successful, top-performing athletes use psychologists to stay sharp. If he's staying, the club should insist that he speaks to a professional. Otherwise we will not see any return on investment from his wage.
Old 18-10-2019, 02:05 PM
It's a term of affection

Fatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is here
Steve Parish during the Benteke contract negotiations....

Old 18-10-2019, 02:11 PM

Krise : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKrise : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKrise : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKrise : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKrise : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKrise : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKrise : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKrise : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKrise : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKrise : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKrise : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Benteke and his wife must love living in London. I suppose that's a positive.
Old 18-10-2019, 02:26 PM

dave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlerhorst View Post
I’m not sure that’s true. Depends if they do the market value test on the asset class as a whole or the individual player contracts
Would be done on individual contracts, as far as I am aware.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred. (C.P. Scott)

Last edited by dave_who_ru; 18-10-2019 at 02:35 PM.
Old 18-10-2019, 02:30 PM

dave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw16girl View Post
Does the fact that we will not have to buy anyone to replace him help as well?
Too many variables to answer that one. If he starts scoring it's a great deal. If not it's another year's wages.

I still think we have to buy another forward in January irrespective.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred. (C.P. Scott)
Old 18-10-2019, 02:31 PM

aj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie McGoldrick's tash View Post
I think in Roy's first season and Benteke's second one, Benteke still contributed to the team as well. The lack of goals was very disappointing and there is no hiding that we all expected more from him but he still got a number of assists that season and was involved in a lot of our goals.

We can't ignore his lack of goals but we also shouldn't ignore his other contributions. Disappointing for the outlay in wages, yes. But he has never been useless or completely stopped contributing.
Come on , I've always held out for Ben , but even I'm near giving up . He's pretty close to it .
Old 18-10-2019, 02:59 PM
I'm thinking about it

Eddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj4england View Post
Come on , I've always held out for Ben , but even I'm near giving up . He's pretty close to it .
I'm not holding out for him to 'come good'. I think he will still contribute something though.
Old 18-10-2019, 03:01 PM

Krise : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKrise : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKrise : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKrise : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKrise : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKrise : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKrise : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKrise : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKrise : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKrise : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKrise : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostrils View Post
Depends how you read it mate, but I really hope you're right. I read it as he's still one of our highest earners, so for me at least, it puts him in the same bracket as Wilf, Sakho, Meyer and Townsend. Those boys are on the big dollar.
According to this somewhat ad infested website (wtfoot), Townsend is not one of the top earners at the club: To view the link you have to Register or Login

The website also keeps calculating Benteke's earnings pr. second.
Old 18-10-2019, 03:19 PM

Nostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is hereNostrils Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krise View Post
According to this somewhat ad infested website (wtfoot), Townsend is not one of the top earners at the club: To view the link you have to Register or Login

The website also keeps calculating Benteke's earnings pr. second.
Interesting, I thought we were paying around the 80/90k mark. That's great news I guess, but it would be nice if he was one of our higher earners at that salary, if you catch my drift.
Old 18-10-2019, 03:31 PM
Only One Dougie Freedman

GrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is hereGrayP41ace Sam the man is here
I’m not buying this protecting the asset spiel they are rolling out.

If they are producing very little to nothing in the pitch and there is no interest off it, what sort of ‘asset’ is it?

Any bid we receive from this summer onwards needs to be the same fee as our outlay for the next year. It’s literrally costing would be buyers more money to buy a player nobody actually wants to buy.

It would be much more sensible to just tell fans they took up a one year extension that was written in their contracts.
Old 18-10-2019, 05:17 PM

Since 1968 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSince 1968 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSince 1968 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSince 1968 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSince 1968 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSince 1968 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSince 1968 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSince 1968 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSince 1968 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSince 1968 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSince 1968 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie McGoldrick's tash View Post
I think in Roy's first season and Benteke's second one, Benteke still contributed to the team as well. The lack of goals was very disappointing and there is no hiding that we all expected more from him but he still got a number of assists that season and was involved in a lot of our goals.

We can't ignore his lack of goals but we also shouldn't ignore his other contributions. Disappointing for the outlay in wages, yes. But he has never been useless or completely stopped contributing.
Roy's arrival coincided with Bentekes complete drop in form. Its pretty obvious to anyone with an ounce of football knowledge, that Roys style of play doesn't play to Bentekes strength in the air.
So, Benteke has been unlucky with the manager, its nobody's fault. Roy has been great for Palace, but not for Benteke.
I would imagine we have been trying to move Benteke on, but wages are the stumbling block. The club aren't stupid, they want him gone, but want to get some money back for him, letting him go on a free isn't good business sense.
Parish pulled off a masterstroke getting Roy, but unfortunately he has been left with Benteke, who Pardew and Allardyce got scoring and Roy cant.
Continual slagging off Benteke is a waste of time, just consider the events that have led to the current situation.
Old 18-10-2019, 05:29 PM
Block E Still, Main Stand

peterr259 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpeterr259 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpeterr259 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpeterr259 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpeterr259 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpeterr259 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpeterr259 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpeterr259 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpeterr259 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpeterr259 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpeterr259 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Have you been watching a different player to me? In the penalty area he has no positional sense let alone strength in the air! It has nothing to do with Roy’s tactics.
Old 18-10-2019, 05:35 PM

palacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldrulez View Post
Let’s hope a village has lost their idiot.

And that said idiot runs a football team with more money than sense!
I think Benteke and his agent have just found said idiot.
Old 18-10-2019, 05:41 PM

palacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is herepalacemetros Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieEdwards View Post
Let's hope his form doesn't drop off now that he's no longer playing for a contract.
I made the same tongue in cheek comment about the signing of JA in the summer. Hey, you don't suppose.....?
Old 18-10-2019, 06:35 PM
I'm thinking about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since 1968 View Post
Roy's arrival coincided with Bentekes complete drop in form. Its pretty obvious to anyone with an ounce of football knowledge, that Roys style of play doesn't play to Bentekes strength in the air.
So, Benteke has been unlucky with the manager, its nobody's fault. Roy has been great for Palace, but not for Benteke.
I would imagine we have been trying to move Benteke on, but wages are the stumbling block. The club aren't stupid, they want him gone, but want to get some money back for him, letting him go on a free isn't good business sense.
Parish pulled off a masterstroke getting Roy, but unfortunately he has been left with Benteke, who Pardew and Allardyce got scoring and Roy cant.
Continual slagging off Benteke is a waste of time, just consider the events that have led to the current situation.
We do get fewer crosses in under Roy because we have more often than not played a narrow 442. So I agree we haven't played to his strengths but I don't think Roy's tactics explain how bad he has been in front of goal when chances have arrived. Having said that he barely scored any goals for us in his first season that weren't from crosses.
Old 18-10-2019, 06:42 PM

hdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is here
He has had 5 shots on goal so far this season and 3 have been on target which is a 60% accuracy rate.

Last season his shot accuracy was 35%.
Old 18-10-2019, 06:53 PM
N14 and not so proud...

SOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is hereSOUTHGATE EAGLE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdeagle View Post
He has had 5 shots on goal so far this season and 3 have been on target which is a 60% accuracy rate.

There's only one stat that matters and it's the one required to win a football match.
Old 18-10-2019, 07:04 PM

Eagleinsussex came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagleinsussex came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagleinsussex came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagleinsussex came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagleinsussex came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagleinsussex came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagleinsussex came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagleinsussex came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagleinsussex came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagleinsussex came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEagleinsussex came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
If he scores a hat-trick against the Weeds all will be forgiven.......I can but dream
Old 18-10-2019, 07:04 PM

Mr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdeagle View Post

One of those was the absolute sitter he missed against wolves.