Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 08-10-2019, 11:25 AM
Borderline lunacy

stevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wycombe Eagle#2 View Post
Wasn't the rumour Noades silence was due to him expecting a position within the FA which ultimately didn't come
Yes, that was the story at the time. No idea if it was true: definitely plausible, but then equally it was always fashionable to blame Noades!

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact charity, who support families with disabled children.

Read more about it here https://cyclingtheseason.wordpress.com

And read more about Contact here www.contact.org.uk
Old 08-10-2019, 11:57 AM

kenz sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkkenz sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkkenz sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkkenz sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkkenz sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkkenz sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkkenz sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkkenz sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkkenz sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkkenz sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkkenz sings up the sun in a dawn so very dark
The following season the Bundesliga had 10 teams playing in European competitions, 6 qualified from the Bundesliga & 4 from the last season of the East German League. Whilst it was believed to be too many teams the German FA's argued to UEFA that's it wasn't correct to have promised a European spot to a team for their final league position, & then change their minds half way through the season. Dynamo Dresden finished second but were not allowed to qualify due a ban for rioting.
Old 08-10-2019, 12:40 PM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenz View Post
The following season the Bundesliga had 10 teams playing in European competitions, 6 qualified from the Bundesliga & 4 from the last season of the East German League. Whilst it was believed to be too many teams the German FA's argued to UEFA that's it wasn't correct to have promised a European spot to a team for their final league position, & then change their minds half way through the season. Dynamo Dresden finished second but were not allowed to qualify due a ban for rioting.
Oh the irony.

That’s great info - thanks for posting.

The timing of events happened like this:

Wednesday 17th April: Palace clinched third place with four games still to go and thought they’d qualified for the UEFA Cup.

Thursday 18th/19th April: The remaining 2 year suspension of Liverpool FC was lifted by the UEFA Executive Committee at its meeting in London.

“Supporting Palace has a certain cult value – like pretending that some Peruvian rock band is the best in the world.”
- John Peel
Old 08-10-2019, 12:41 PM
I'm not divorced

Golf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is here
I thought this was another brexit thread
Old 08-10-2019, 06:35 PM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Amazing how memory distorts fact over time.

Just looked at my scrapbook from that season where I kept cuttings from every match. We didn’t in fact clinch third until the final game of the season when beating Man U 3-0 and Leeds lost to Forest.

The reason I thought it was after the Spurs win was because we’d stretched our lead over those chasing - Man U and Leeds - by 7 points with just 4 games left. The report for that game basically says that ‘Young’s winner has drove Palace surely towards a place in Europe next season.’

That all but proves too that there wasn’t any idea that Liverpool would be reinstated just two days later. Here’s the Advertiser reporting the sorry tale. Probably the most scathing we’d ever heard Coppell, and also states that Ron Noades sent a letter of protest to the FA.

To view the link you have to Register or Login

“Supporting Palace has a certain cult value – like pretending that some Peruvian rock band is the best in the world.”
- John Peel
Old 08-10-2019, 06:37 PM
Senior member & moaner

Location: Militant Wing of the Dougie Freedman Appreciation Society
Mark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
We could, of course, have made the whole affair academic by actually finishing above Liverpool.

I make Cassandra look like an optimist.
Old 09-10-2019, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gardiner View Post
We could, of course, have made the whole affair academic by actually finishing above Liverpool.
There was that outside hope but that ended at Anfield when they ripped us apart 3-0. Depressing night that was. By the end they were 7pts clear of us with Arsenal 14pts ahead.

I can’t recall ever feeling we could realistically catch either of them. They were both just stronger sides. In saying that, looking at the tables as the season progressed, in late March we were just 4pts off the leaders Liverpool and 3pts from the eventual winners Arsenal. Still unbelievable to think that we were that close so late in the season.

Arsenal and Liverpool were pretty formidable that season, but if they both dipped dramatically that term as they did the following season, we would’ve done a Leicester. Leeds did exactly that the following season.

Had we taken our place in Europe the next season and strengthened the squad, keeping Wright in the bargain, I still think we would’ve fallen short of winning the title, purely because of the distraction of European games. Liverpool dropped to 6th in 91/92 and only made it as far as the UEFA Cup Quarters, losing to Genoa.

You can’t help but wonder how we would’ve faired ourselves. Got this dream that the way we played we might’ve done an Aberdeen or Dundee United.

- John Peel
Old 09-10-2019, 05:35 AM
I'm not divorced

Golf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is here
I never knew Coppell was a rabid brexiter - bottom of the left column in Bubbs’ article.
Old 09-10-2019, 05:45 AM
Señor Coconut

Neil 154 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil 154 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil 154 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil 154 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil 154 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil 154 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil 154 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil 154 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil 154 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil 154 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil 154 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf Boy View Post
I never knew Coppell was a rabid brexiter - bottom of the left column in Bubbs’ article.
It's where Brexit started. Coppell has a lot to answer for.
Old 09-10-2019, 06:29 AM
jft39

west country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil 154 View Post
It's where Brexit started. Coppell has a lot to answer for.
He has a degree in Economics so I'm not sure the like of Johnson and Rees-Mogg would trust this so-called "expert".
Old 09-10-2019, 07:55 AM
Borderline lunacy

stevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is here
He always was a right winger.

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact charity, who support families with disabled children.

Read more about it here https://cyclingtheseason.wordpress.com

And read more about Contact here www.contact.org.uk
Old 09-10-2019, 09:24 AM

Coastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is here
It'll stick in my craw til the day I die - so for about another 6 months then.

Dirty, scumbag, thieving scouse rubbish.
Old 09-10-2019, 06:31 PM
Keeping The Faith

gold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is here
Apart from our fans, no one really gave a ****, no press, no bbs, no internet.

Coppell had it right, Chocolate soldiers
Old 09-10-2019, 06:32 PM
Keeping The Faith

gold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is here

Old 10-10-2019, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold76 View Post

They would never had got away with it in today’s social media world.

Can anyone recall any reason given by the UEFA executive committee for proposing to cut Liverpool’s ban short? Because I can’t and cannot find anything concrete about it online. Apparently a vote was taken by the members and they obviously looked favourably upon their reinstatement.

I did find a post from a Liverpool fan on one of their fan sites that claims Juventus lobbied to get them back in; that cant be true surely???
Most of the main players involved in that decision have since passed, but I’d love to get more information about what say, Coppell knew, or even Terry Byfield who was at the club even then. Novello Noades would be another one - sure Ron must’ve talked to her about it.

The other scandal is that UEFA didn’t give England an extra European spot, or at least got an English club to play off with another country’s club for a spot. The crazy thing about the ban was that clubs like Palace, Wimbledon, Coventry and Oxford didn’t contribute to the years of hooliganism in Europe that led to the initial ban and yet were penalised. Note also that Welsh clubs playing in the English leagues were still able to take their place in Europe.

It is something that has been conveniently swept under the carpet. There’s a batch of modest clubs like ourselves that were denied a experience of a lifetime for their club, and not only that, but a huge amount of earnings. Note many of the smaller clubs, including ourselves, hit serious financial difficulties at some stage after. On a personal note, i would’ve loved to have seen what the cultured Italian and Spanish sides would’ve made of Wimbledon’s Crazy Gang; would’ve been a sight to behold.

- John Peel
Old 10-10-2019, 06:41 AM

Bipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is here
I thought at the time that the fairest thing would have been for the FA to force Liverpool to forfeit their European competition slot and transfer it across to the teams who had missed out every time they qualified for Europe from 1991 onwards, in chronological order until such time as parity and justice had been served. Which would probably have meant that we'd have been preparing for our debut Europa League campaign some time around 2010, seeing as we'd have been right at the back of the queue.
Old 18-10-2019, 08:46 AM

colonel is just too good for youcolonel is just too good for youcolonel is just too good for youcolonel is just too good for youcolonel is just too good for youcolonel is just too good for youcolonel is just too good for youcolonel is just too good for youcolonel is just too good for youcolonel is just too good for youcolonel is just too good for you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipe View Post
I thought at the time that the fairest thing would have been for the FA to force Liverpool to forfeit their European competition slot and transfer it across to the teams who had missed out every time they qualified for Europe from 1991 onwards, in chronological order until such time as parity and justice had been served. Which would probably have meant that we'd have been preparing for our debut Europa League campaign some time around 2010, seeing as we'd have been right at the back of the queue.
Hmm not sure we were at our best right then...
Old 18-10-2019, 03:45 PM
Champagne Charlie

PC of CP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePC of CP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePC of CP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePC of CP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePC of CP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePC of CP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePC of CP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePC of CP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePC of CP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePC of CP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePC of CP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
[QUOTE=bubbs11;14940149]There was that outside hope but that ended at Anfield when they ripped us apart 3-0. Depressing night that was. By the end they were 7pts clear of us with Arsenal 14pts ahead.

Depressing night??? Wasn't that STEVIE COPPELL'S RED N BLUE ARMY
Old 18-10-2019, 04:41 PM
Senior member & moaner

Location: Militant Wing of the Dougie Freedman Appreciation Society
Mark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
[QUOTE=PC of CP;14947524]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post
There was that outside hope but that ended at Anfield when they ripped us apart 3-0. Depressing night that was. By the end they were 7pts clear of us with Arsenal 14pts ahead.

Depressing night??? Wasn't that STEVIE COPPELL'S RED N BLUE ARMY
Sure was. Wasn't it also the debut of a future England manager? Eddie McGoldrick playing sweeper & being praised by Alan Green on Radio5.

I make Cassandra look like an optimist.
Old 18-10-2019, 07:41 PM
I DON'T look like SJ

Jim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post
I think I’m right in saying Oxford are the only team in history to have won promotion as Champions in consecutive seasons from the third tier to the first.

Remember going to the Manor Ground at that period and getting absolutely trounced 5-0. They were absolutely brilliant. Got totally soaked too as it rained from start to finish.
I believe they had John Aldridge and Ray Houghton playing for them, in their prime, in those days!