Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 06-11-2007, 08:11 AM

Andrew Aitchison : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAndrew Aitchison : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAndrew Aitchison : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAndrew Aitchison : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAndrew Aitchison : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAndrew Aitchison : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAndrew Aitchison : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAndrew Aitchison : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAndrew Aitchison : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAndrew Aitchison : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAndrew Aitchison : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I went there from 78 until 83, with at least 3 other bbsers. Given that you have to go to school somewhere, I quite enjoyed it.

Talking of old boys, it was said when I was there that Harry Roberts (of he kills coppers fame) was an old boy. Does anyone know if this is true?
Old 06-11-2007, 08:19 AM
On the Tory right !

Trolley : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTrolley : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTrolley : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTrolley : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTrolley : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTrolley : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTrolley : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTrolley : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTrolley : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTrolley : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTrolley : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Many,many moons ago I used to have a dear chum who had an abode in 'Norbury Hill'. We decided to partake of some 'Alcoholic' beverages in the hostelry opposite the school and I have a recollection of engaging in conversation with one of the 'Masters'.

He was an erudite gentleman, vertically challenged with brown hair whose name was 'Peter'. I might be 'Way off radar' but his surname was either 'Dunstan' or 'Dustin' or perhaps a similar name.If my recollection was correct he taught multiple subjects and most certainly he appeared top-watt clever.
We had a certain commonality in terms of educational establishments that we attended and all-in-all he was a charming and interesting chappie.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:52 AM

cantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is here
Peter Duskin

Trolley

Head of history and a very good teacher
Old 06-11-2007, 08:53 AM
On the Tory right !

Trolley : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTrolley : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTrolley : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTrolley : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTrolley : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTrolley : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTrolley : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTrolley : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTrolley : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTrolley : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTrolley : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally posted by cantspell
and hair above the colar dictats).
My dear son-in-law (Who did NOT attend this establishment) states that he was reliably informed that in halcyon days 'Hair' over a certain length was forbidden and 'Haircut inspections' were a regular event with any transgressions punishable by a 'Detention', sometimes on a Saturday.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:57 AM
On the Tory right !

Quote:
Peter Duskin

Trolley

This was very possibly the gentleman with whom I engaged in conversation.
Rather well-spoken chap who was charming and engaging.
I might be 'Way off radar' but I have a feint recollection of him stating that he also taught 'Spanish' at the school.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:15 AM
Legal Imbecile and BBS Prophet of Doom (Semi-Retired)

James Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is here
Quote:
Peter Duskin

Trolley

Duskin was my Form teacher in the Fifths. I have a recording of him with a number of my fellow pupils recorded in the 1960s which I will try and find and put onto an mp3.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:23 AM
On the Tory right !

Quote:
Originally posted by James
I have a recording of him recorded .
On the subject of 'Recording', I was once informed that the infamous 'Brother Solomons' who was once responsible for school 'Discipline' left the 'Order' to undertake a musical career.
I was informed that he made a record called "Brussels Sprouts" under the stage name of the "Swinging Monk".

My 'Informant' can be a 'Cad' of the highest order so perhaps this account is a total fabrication in the spirit of a 'Jolly Josh', however I thought I would relate this account which perhaps might be verified by those who attended the establishment.

Old 06-11-2007, 09:42 AM
like a shot in the dark

CP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is here
I was at SJC between 1971 to 1979.

I think the early 70's must have been a unique time at St Joe's - as I believe it changed to becoming a 'comprehensive' which meant that more and more boys from 'working class' backgrounds started to get places at Beulah Hill.

I grew up in Norwood and between ages 5-8 went to Virgo Fidelis off Central Hill (no, not the Girls Convent section, the 'Juniors' which was mixed!) as did quite a few other boys that went on to SJC - many of us came from fairly well off families.

The change that struck us when we moved 'up the hill' to St Joe's was incredible! We were suddenly mixing with kids off the local estates in Norwood and Streatham and what I learnt from them in my first three years at St Joe's - in the Lower First, Upper First & Remove classes has deeply 'affected' me ever since - I learnt every swear word under the sun and what was discussed on that old cobblestoned yard and in the classrooms at the back of the school was so graphic that I had a very good grounding in the theory of intercourse by the time I was 10!

I can't quite remember the name of the Lower First teacher - Mrs Barella is the name I think - in the Lower First it was Mr O'Connor a Scots fella - he was a Celtic fan from Glasgow I remember - probably the best teacher I can remember too - and of course 'Jonah' - Mr Jones - I can still remember how I just sat there trembling with fear in the very first lesson I had in his class - he was like an early version of 'Hannibal Lecter' ! - funnily enough, I never really remember getting into real bother with him - which was a surprise, given that I managed two of the dreaded 'White Testimonials!'.

Of course, back then, nearly every day there was news of another bombing or shooting in Northern Ireland - which was very strange, because a lot of us were from 'English' backgrounds, with our own special 'bigotry' that had been handed down from our 'elders' so we used to take the piss out of the Irish - even though we were Catholics too!
Everyone used to take the piss out of eachother, basically. It took most of my time at St Joe's to realise how offensive our words and ideas were on a racial and and social level - and so contradictory.

Possibly, a similar struggle is going on now with the influx of Muslim kids and perhaps they struggle to come to terms with the contradictions that they percieve are facing them?

Sorry - I seem to have gone off on one there! Anyway, I think the 70's was probably more of a fun time at St Joe's than what I have heard became of the school in the next decade - so I look back with a lot of fondness - I don't think there was any real hatred - alot of misguided ideas that got straightened out over time - I hope!

But back to the main thread - we

Last edited by CP Satellite; 06-11-2007 at 09:46 AM.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:44 AM
ár lá

Chocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by Trolley
Many,many moons ago I used to have a dear chum who had an abode in 'Norbury Hill'. We decided to partake of some 'Alcoholic' beverages in the hostelry opposite the school and I have a recollection of engaging in conversation with one of the 'Masters'.
Did you go to Shazan Tandoori afterwards?

Who opened their lunch?
Old 06-11-2007, 09:48 AM
ár lá

Chocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is here
PS Hello Mark H (&H) if you still read the BBS

Who opened their lunch?
Old 06-11-2007, 10:07 AM
like a shot in the dark

CP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is here
Quote:
On the subject of 'Recording', I was once informed that the infamous 'Brother Solomons' who was once responsible for school 'Discipline' left the 'Order' to undertake a musical career.
I was informed that he made a record called "Brussels Sprouts" under the stage name of the "Swinging Monk".

My 'Informant' can be a 'Cad' of the highest order so perhaps this account is a total fabrication in the spirit of a 'Jolly Josh', however I thought I would relate this account which perhaps might be verified by those who attended the establishment.

Brother Solomon was mentioned on Radio Two earlier this year, Trolley - apparently he got a recording contract in the U.S. - years before my time at SJC, though.

I know Pete Murray was an old boy at St Joe's too. My music teacher was a Mr Thomas - who was famous for losing his rag during lessons - happy days!
Old 06-11-2007, 10:09 AM
On the Tory right !

Quote:
Originally posted by CP Satellite
Brother Solomon was mentioned on Radio Two earlier this year, Trolley - apparently he got a recording contract in the U.S.
The fact that dear 'Brother Solomons' received a recording contract perhaps suggests that the 'Cad' to whom I refer might have NOT been jesting and that his 'Story' was right and proper.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:12 AM
ár lá

Quote:
My music teacher was a Mr Thomas - who was famous for losing his rag during lessons - happy days!
Lol he was a nutter. He used to sit there going beserk at a bunch of 8 year olds because we couldn't all sing 'Row row row your boat' in perfect pitch.

Who opened their lunch?
Old 06-11-2007, 10:28 AM
On the Tory right !

I was once engaged in conversation with an 'Old Josephian' whose name escapes me and we were engaged in a general conversation about teachers at our respective former educational establishments.

This chappie claims that during his tenure at the 'College' in the 60s, there was a 'Brother Cyril' who was affectionately known as "Squirrel" and a 'Brother Fabian' who was referred to as "Slobber Chops" as he had a habit of licking his lips on a regular basis !
He also made reference to a teacher (Who was not a Brother and whose name I have forgotten) who referred to his students as "Sausage" !
Perhaps those who attended the 'College' during this period will have a recollection of these characters.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:32 AM
ár lá

Jonathon Evans shoved my pants down the toilet in the swimming pool changing rooms.

Who opened their lunch?
Old 06-11-2007, 10:33 AM

Location: I'm only putting something in this field in order to create more space in the line below for my 'rep'
Mal Adjusted : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMal Adjusted : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMal Adjusted : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMal Adjusted : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMal Adjusted : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMal Adjusted : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMal Adjusted : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMal Adjusted : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMal Adjusted : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMal Adjusted : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMal Adjusted : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
I was once engaged in conversation with an 'Old Josephian' whose name escapes me .
James Mitchell?
Old 06-11-2007, 10:34 AM
On the Tory right !

Jonathon Evans shoved my pants down the toilet in the swimming pool changing rooms.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:37 AM
On the Tory right !

Quote:
Originally posted by Mal Adjusted
James Mitchell?
Heavens to Murgatroyd - NO.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:38 AM
Legal Imbecile and BBS Prophet of Doom (Semi-Retired)

James Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is here
Quote:
Brother Solomon was mentioned on Radio Two earlier this year, Trolley - apparently he got a recording contract in the U.S. - years before my time at SJC, though.

I know Pete Murray was an old boy at St Joe's too. My music teacher was a Mr Thomas - who was famous for losing his rag during lessons - happy days!
I was at the School (as a border) when Solomon was dismissed. He became 'Mike Mercado' also known as the 'Swinging Monk' and recorded a honky-tonk piano single.

To view the link you have to Register or Login

There's much more to the story of course. Solomon was not a nice person. I recently got to know a lovely man, Paul Wilkins, who boarded at the same time as me. Paul had become an alcoholic and had suffered a number of nervous breakdowns before he found some peace with himself and went to work at a School in Ireland. He died last Christmas after a short illness.

Paul told me in detail of the abuse that he had suffered as a result of this man. Solomon tried it on with me as well when I started at the School, but I told my father who made a complaint and Solomon ignored me after that.

Solomon was a nasty piece of work: a bully and an abuser.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:42 AM
On the Tory right !

Quote:
Originally posted by James
I was at the School (as a border) when Solomon was dismissed. He became 'Mike Mercado' also known as the 'Swinging Monk' and recorded a honky-tonk piano single.
This is clearly proof-positive that my 'Informant's'
account was wholly accurate.