Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 09-10-2019, 11:13 AM

Andrew Aitchison : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAndrew Aitchison : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAndrew Aitchison : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAndrew Aitchison : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAndrew Aitchison : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAndrew Aitchison : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAndrew Aitchison : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAndrew Aitchison : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAndrew Aitchison : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAndrew Aitchison : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAndrew Aitchison : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
In my year. No age, RIP.
Old 09-10-2019, 03:44 PM

Coastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is hereCoastal Palace Sam the man is here
Stanley Boys Rule.

xxx
Old 09-10-2019, 04:07 PM

Purepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is herePurepalace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal Palace View Post
Stanley Boys Rule.

xxx
Classless

RIP
Old 16-10-2019, 01:26 AM

Kevin Beach sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkKevin Beach sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkKevin Beach sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkKevin Beach sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkKevin Beach sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkKevin Beach sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkKevin Beach sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkKevin Beach sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkKevin Beach sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkKevin Beach sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkKevin Beach sings up the sun in a dawn so very dark
I've just come across this forum again, having apparently joined it eight years ago. I was at St Joseph's from 1957 to 1966, starting in the Lower First and leaving after O Levels in the 5th Form.

So many memories from reading posts here. All those teachers:

Brother Brendan in 1957. Transferred to the African missions

Brother Joseph. Short, smirking sadist. No idea how he ended up.

Charlie Richardson. Good guy. Ended up as a priest and died a few years ago.

Brother Alemond Robert ("Dos"). Weird. Unhealthy attitudes. Heard he left the order.

Tom Jones ("Jonah"). An all time great guy for me. I still remember him very fondly.

Brother Vincent. Junior Headmaster. Another smirker. Heard he left the order and married a German lady.

Brother Philip #1 ("Pip" and "Bogey"). Japanese prisoner of war. Found it hard to relate to people.

Brother Dennis Mary. ("Dizzy Dennis") German prisoner of war. Nerves shot to pieces. Not allowed into classrooms but often took playground duty. Always shouting at us. Came on a scout camp with us once. When relaxed, he turned out to be very friendly and kind.

Brother Dennis Robert. Recruiter for the De la Salle order. Drove a car with the registration JOY 10 and wrote a weekly column for The Universe.

Brother George ("Gorgo"). Maltese. He came, He saw. He went.

Brother Philip #2. Little young guy. Curly fair hair. Rugby player. Tried to be friendly but got bored with everything. Also left the order to get married.

Gerry Austin. Big Irishman. Gloriously eccentric. Married an English girl he met on a train during a school trip to Rome, when he rescued her from a bunch of Italian soldiers in the next compartment. Heard he went into his father-in-law's estate agency business. Wish I could have bought him a drink in later life, but if he is still with us he must be in his 90s now.

Brother Gerard ("Pears"). A good guy. Fair. Always remembered birthdays. One of the best "pastoral" teachers (there weren't may of them!).

Brother Cyril ("Squirrel"). A really good guy. History. 20+ years ago I read that he had got into a bit of legal bother over some allegations of inappropriate messing around with young boarders, but he was acquitted at trial. I don't know what happened to him after that.

Brother Ralph. RK and Maths. Sensible. Logical. Caring.

Mr Rospigliosi ("Roast pig"). 5th Form form teacher & Latin. Tried to be friendly and humorous but I found him a bit detached and ineffective.

Mr Radowicz. Took us for German in the 2nd form. "You don't pay attention, I trow you out ze ruddy vindow". "You don't listen, you can go and do Russian, Spanish or Chinese for all I care!"

Peter Duskin. Thought himself suave. Seemed a bit lazy.

Brother Charles ("Flod"). Taught us maths for one term in the 5th form, coming up to O levels. So many complaints about his useless teaching that he was replaced by Brother Ralph after Christmas.

Brother Leo Barrington. Headmaster when I started, until about 1960. Was there as headmaster again some years later. I was able to attend his funeral in 1995. Glad to be there in the chapel again.

Brother Alan. Headmaster from 1960 to about 1963. A perfect example of the Peter Principle - a man promoted to the level of his own incompetence.

Brother Solomon ("Sollie"). Prefect of Discipline. What can I say? I understand he died in the 1990s. Had he not, he would have been prosecuted for historical sexual abuse in the modern age. He was the stuff of nightmares. Thank God I wasn't one of his victims.

Brother Caedman. Little guy. Had him for RK. Quite liked him as a person, but his theology was hypocritical.

Brother Cuthman. Took over from Brother Alan as headmaster in about 1963. Dry. Remote.
He was the cause of Brother Solomon's sudden departure from the school in 1965/66.

Barry Robinson. Art. Lovely guy. Such I shame I couldn't reciprocate by being anything more than a totally incompetent and atrocious artist! He it was who caused the painting of a facsimile of Picasso's "Guernica" in the school hall.

I saw Brothers Gerard, Ralph and Caedmon, with Messrs Robinson, Batson (Oh, and Bonello - never taught me, but I always got on well with him around the school) at Brother Leo's funeral in 1995. I think they're all dead now. Also saw that "Guernica" had been over-painted white - TRAVESTY!

And the music teachers - "Pixie" Patten and Les Dukes. Old school gentlemen, both of them. Very fond memories.

As I approach my 70th birthday and rejoice at the birth of my first grandchild earlier this evening, I realise that most of the teachers I encountered were far, far younger than I am now. I can't say that the school was good, but I'm glad that the passing decades have enabled me to put away the many bad feelings that beset me for so long after I left and to discover some smiling affection for them and even a degree of love for a few of them. For those of them still alive, may God grant them happiness in their last years. For those who have died, may God grant them eternal rest.

Last edited by Kevin Beach; 16-10-2019 at 01:40 AM.
Old 22-10-2019, 02:46 PM
Probationary User

Sixclub is playing for a contract
Girls were first admitted into the Lower Sixth in September 1990. Before that it was all boys.
Old 22-10-2019, 03:02 PM
Probationary User

Sixclub is playing for a contract
Yes, she must have been fancied by many.
Old 26-10-2019, 03:29 PM
Probationary User

Christopher Pat is playing for a contract
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Beach View Post
I've just come across this forum again, having apparently joined it eight years ago. I was at St Joseph's from 1957 to 1966, starting in the Lower First and leaving after O Levels in the 5th Form.

So many memories from reading posts here. All those teachers:

Brother Brendan in 1957. Transferred to the African missions

Brother Joseph. Short, smirking sadist. No idea how he ended up.

Charlie Richardson. Good guy. Ended up as a priest and died a few years ago.

Brother Alemond Robert ("Dos"). Weird. Unhealthy attitudes. Heard he left the order.

Tom Jones ("Jonah"). An all time great guy for me. I still remember him very fondly.

Brother Vincent. Junior Headmaster. Another smirker. Heard he left the order and married a German lady.

Brother Philip #1 ("Pip" and "Bogey"). Japanese prisoner of war. Found it hard to relate to people.

Brother Dennis Mary. ("Dizzy Dennis") German prisoner of war. Nerves shot to pieces. Not allowed into classrooms but often took playground duty. Always shouting at us. Came on a scout camp with us once. When relaxed, he turned out to be very friendly and kind.

Brother Dennis Robert. Recruiter for the De la Salle order. Drove a car with the registration JOY 10 and wrote a weekly column for The Universe.

Brother George ("Gorgo"). Maltese. He came, He saw. He went.

Brother Philip #2. Little young guy. Curly fair hair. Rugby player. Tried to be friendly but got bored with everything. Also left the order to get married.

Gerry Austin. Big Irishman. Gloriously eccentric. Married an English girl he met on a train during a school trip to Rome, when he rescued her from a bunch of Italian soldiers in the next compartment. Heard he went into his father-in-law's estate agency business. Wish I could have bought him a drink in later life, but if he is still with us he must be in his 90s now.

Brother Gerard ("Pears"). A good guy. Fair. Always remembered birthdays. One of the best "pastoral" teachers (there weren't may of them!).

Brother Cyril ("Squirrel"). A really good guy. History. 20+ years ago I read that he had got into a bit of legal bother over some allegations of inappropriate messing around with young boarders, but he was acquitted at trial. I don't know what happened to him after that.

Brother Ralph. RK and Maths. Sensible. Logical. Caring.

Mr Rospigliosi ("Roast pig"). 5th Form form teacher & Latin. Tried to be friendly and humorous but I found him a bit detached and ineffective.

Mr Radowicz. Took us for German in the 2nd form. "You don't pay attention, I trow you out ze ruddy vindow". "You don't listen, you can go and do Russian, Spanish or Chinese for all I care!"

Peter Duskin. Thought himself suave. Seemed a bit lazy.

Brother Charles ("Flod"). Taught us maths for one term in the 5th form, coming up to O levels. So many complaints about his useless teaching that he was replaced by Brother Ralph after Christmas.

Brother Leo Barrington. Headmaster when I started, until about 1960. Was there as headmaster again some years later. I was able to attend his funeral in 1995. Glad to be there in the chapel again.

Brother Alan. Headmaster from 1960 to about 1963. A perfect example of the Peter Principle - a man promoted to the level of his own incompetence.

Brother Solomon ("Sollie"). Prefect of Discipline. What can I say? I understand he died in the 1990s. Had he not, he would have been prosecuted for historical sexual abuse in the modern age. He was the stuff of nightmares. Thank God I wasn't one of his victims.

Brother Caedman. Little guy. Had him for RK. Quite liked him as a person, but his theology was hypocritical.

Brother Cuthman. Took over from Brother Alan as headmaster in about 1963. Dry. Remote.
He was the cause of Brother Solomon's sudden departure from the school in 1965/66.

Barry Robinson. Art. Lovely guy. Such I shame I couldn't reciprocate by being anything more than a totally incompetent and atrocious artist! He it was who caused the painting of a facsimile of Picasso's "Guernica" in the school hall.

I saw Brothers Gerard, Ralph and Caedmon, with Messrs Robinson, Batson (Oh, and Bonello - never taught me, but I always got on well with him around the school) at Brother Leo's funeral in 1995. I think they're all dead now. Also saw that "Guernica" had been over-painted white - TRAVESTY!

And the music teachers - "Pixie" Patten and Les Dukes. Old school gentlemen, both of them. Very fond memories.

As I approach my 70th birthday and rejoice at the birth of my first grandchild earlier this evening, I realise that most of the teachers I encountered were far, far younger than I am now. I can't say that the school was good, but I'm glad that the passing decades have enabled me to put away the many bad feelings that beset me for so long after I left and to discover some smiling affection for them and even a degree of love for a few of them. For those of them still alive, may God grant them happiness in their last years. For those who have died, may God grant them eternal rest.
Although I do not recall all the names mentioned Kevin Beach I hope the following will prove interesting.
"Dizzy" was actually Brother Dennis Robert. I recall a rumour (I attended St Joe's from 1955 to 1960) that he had had his kneecaps removed during his incarceration. Brother Dennis Mary was a much younger man. He was my teacher in the first and third form and was a fantastic teacher, one that I remember with enormous affection. I was saddened to hear that he died recently a few days before his 85th birthday.
I remember Brother Vincent as a small man with an enormous bald head. Apparently he was German, although I do not recall any trace of an accent.
Brother Philip ("Give yer nought") I recall as a kindly but rather troubled man. We boys
used to give him a really bad time. I sometimes wonder who was the more unkind, the pupils who were too young to know better or the school authorities who definitely should have known better than to let a man so unfitted for the job loose in a class full of unruly boys. I believe he ended up in what was politely called a rest home/
Brother Leo, six foot two of austerity, was the only teacher I ever met who used the word "ignoramus". His lessons, on any subject, invariably ended up with an account of his travels.
Although I have heard others sing his praises I remember Brother Caedmon, aka "the caveman", as a rather nasty and petty little man.
Mr Austin was a real character, Any boy who displeased him was addressed as "you creature". Requests to "be excused" were greeted with the remark "you are not about to explode are you". I remember him giving a talk, possibly one of several, beginning with "when you leave school you'll meet a girl boys" and ending with "and you'll find yourselves in bed together, and you'll be naked. Well DON'T DO IT BOYS' IT'S WRONG". He once caught a friend of mine smoking and marched him to the teachers common room, where he made him share out his cigarettes and gave him back the empty packet, saying "don't let me catch you again".
Brother Gerard was my teacher in the second form. One term I was voted for the English prize but was told I wouldn't get it as I "was not much good at anything else". To be fair the actual recipient richly deserved it and I feel no resentment at all against "Gerry" as I recalled he gave the impression he was acting under orders he did not agree with. His sayings were "Zut!" and "Alors! Taissez vous".
Old 27-10-2019, 04:14 PM
Probationary User

paulcee has brains that could explain any feelingpaulcee has brains that could explain any feelingpaulcee has brains that could explain any feelingpaulcee has brains that could explain any feelingpaulcee has brains that could explain any feelingpaulcee has brains that could explain any feelingpaulcee has brains that could explain any feelingpaulcee has brains that could explain any feelingpaulcee has brains that could explain any feelingpaulcee has brains that could explain any feelingpaulcee has brains that could explain any feeling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Aitchison View Post
I was very pleased to bump into Chris Wilshere in Sainsburys at Crystal Palace on Saturday. I had seen him wandering about previously, but this was the first time I chatted with him.
He seems in great shape and excellent spirits, even though he is approaching 80. He is in touch with a number of ex pupils who live in the area, and has lunch every Sunday with Mr Burtenshaw (PE one).
He remembered every ex pupil I mentioned, no matter what year they were in. I didn't realise he was at the school from 1971. he ended his teaching career at St Philomenas in Carshalton.
It was a real pleasure to talk with him.
Chris Wilshere was a top chap. I had a miserable time at home with my abusive dad and Wilshere took me under his wing and made sure I worked hard at school and at football. I wouldn't have achieved half of what I did without his support.
Old 28-10-2019, 02:54 AM

GorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulcee View Post
Chris Wilshere was a top chap. I had a miserable time at home with my abusive dad and Wilshere took me under his wing and made sure I worked hard at school and at football. I wouldn't have achieved half of what I did without his support.

Have to agree.

Probably the only teacher I would have any time for amid the bunch of sadists, pederasts and total incompetents that infested the place from 1969 to 1976 when I gave up and f*cked off.

Glad to think he's still going.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:54 PM

dim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is here
Just noticed SJC currently being used on an advert for BT, strapline "the future is ours"....
Old 02-11-2019, 02:54 PM

Danny1 would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningDanny1 would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningDanny1 would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningDanny1 would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningDanny1 would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningDanny1 would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningDanny1 would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningDanny1 would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningDanny1 would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningDanny1 would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningDanny1 would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turning
Quote:
Originally Posted by dim View Post
Just noticed SJC currently being used on an advert for BT, strapline "the future is ours"....
Thought it was!
Brought back some emotions
Old 08-11-2019, 01:58 PM

Patrick Dwyer : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePatrick Dwyer : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePatrick Dwyer : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePatrick Dwyer : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePatrick Dwyer : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePatrick Dwyer : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePatrick Dwyer : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePatrick Dwyer : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePatrick Dwyer : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePatrick Dwyer : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePatrick Dwyer : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Pat View Post
Although I do not recall all the names mentioned Kevin Beach I hope the following will prove interesting.
"Dizzy" was actually Brother Dennis Robert. I recall a rumour (I attended St Joe's from 1955 to 1960) that he had had his kneecaps removed during his incarceration. Brother Dennis Mary was a much younger man. He was my teacher in the first and third form and was a fantastic teacher, one that I remember with enormous affection. I was saddened to hear that he died recently a few days before his 85th birthday.
I remember Brother Vincent as a small man with an enormous bald head. Apparently he was German, although I do not recall any trace of an accent.
Brother Philip ("Give yer nought") I recall as a kindly but rather troubled man. We boys
used to give him a really bad time. I sometimes wonder who was the more unkind, the pupils who were too young to know better or the school authorities who definitely should have known better than to let a man so unfitted for the job loose in a class full of unruly boys. I believe he ended up in what was politely called a rest home/
Brother Leo, six foot two of austerity, was the only teacher I ever met who used the word "ignoramus". His lessons, on any subject, invariably ended up with an account of his travels.
Although I have heard others sing his praises I remember Brother Caedmon, aka "the caveman", as a rather nasty and petty little man.
Mr Austin was a real character, Any boy who displeased him was addressed as "you creature". Requests to "be excused" were greeted with the remark "you are not about to explode are you". I remember him giving a talk, possibly one of several, beginning with "when you leave school you'll meet a girl boys" and ending with "and you'll find yourselves in bed together, and you'll be naked. Well DON'T DO IT BOYS' IT'S WRONG". He once caught a friend of mine smoking and marched him to the teachers common room, where he made him share out his cigarettes and gave him back the empty packet, saying "don't let me catch you again".
Brother Gerard was my teacher in the second form. One term I was voted for the English prize but was told I wouldn't get it as I "was not much good at anything else". To be fair the actual recipient richly deserved it and I feel no resentment at all against "Gerry" as I recalled he gave the impression he was acting under orders he did not agree with. His sayings were "Zut!" and "Alors! Taissez vous".
Same here - brilliant replies.