Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic The Music Forum

Notices

The Music Forum All things music

Old 06-10-2019, 04:34 PM
Thinking

Bintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBintang came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don-Donovani View Post
Genius from this wonderful man...

Among my favourite songs.

Went to a concert in 1969 at Royal Festival Hall
Fairport Convention
John and Beverley Martyn
Nick Drake

A lineup to remember
Old 06-10-2019, 04:35 PM
Pills wont help you now

Davy64 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavy64 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavy64 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavy64 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavy64 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavy64 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavy64 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavy64 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavy64 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavy64 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavy64 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by alf View Post
Saw him perform at Bourne Hall, Ewell in the late 70's or early 80's. As you say, a genius.
hmmm very envious

'What a divergence from that playoff shambles. Palace beating the Premier League Title Holders, whilst we lose 1-0 at Rotherham FFS. What a gulf.' from NSC 6/4/15
Old 06-10-2019, 06:25 PM
Pass me the Vongole

Don-Donovani : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDon-Donovani : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDon-Donovani : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDon-Donovani : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDon-Donovani : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDon-Donovani : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDon-Donovani : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDon-Donovani : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDon-Donovani : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDon-Donovani : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDon-Donovani : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Was introduced to JM by a good mate who thought my musical parameters needed expanding some more. 'This guy plays a fusion of jazz, folk and blues' he said. I listened and I was hooked. First album he played me was Grace and Danger, some of the most heartfelt and beautiful choons I had ever heard (eg Sweet Little Mystery).

However, for some reason it wasn't until 1990 in London when he was touring/promoting the Apprentice album (another goodie) that I finally got to see the man in concert.

Amazing voice, amazing presence, felt I was taken on a spiritual voyage. 'tastic
Old 06-10-2019, 06:36 PM
Pass me the Vongole

Don-Donovani : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDon-Donovani : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDon-Donovani : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDon-Donovani : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDon-Donovani : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDon-Donovani : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDon-Donovani : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDon-Donovani : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDon-Donovani : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDon-Donovani : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineDon-Donovani : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bintang View Post
Among my favourite songs.

Went to a concert in 1969 at Royal Festival Hall
Fairport Convention
John and Beverley Martyn
Nick Drake

A lineup to remember
Nick Drake and John Martyn........You lucky bar steward
Old 06-10-2019, 07:30 PM
Ex-Connecticut

CT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don-Donovani View Post

However, for some reason it wasn't until 1990 in London when he was touring/promoting the Apprentice album (another goodie) that I finally got to see the man in concert.
I may well have seen him on the same tour..I don't remember exactly when it was. Certainly around that time. Saw him at a converted old theatre (seats ripped out) close to Clapham Junction (again memory fails for the name of the place or where exactly it was) . Absolutely excellent.
Youtube is an brilliant source for loads of JM live.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:21 PM
Loosefish Scapegrace

A Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is here
I've not been on this thread. Amongst the many and varied genres of music that I love, folk is certainly one of them.

I used to go to Oxford Street HMV to buy Folk Roots magazine every month and was a regular at The Bracknell Folk Festival in Southill Park Arts Centre. I've been to Fairport Convention at Cropredy a few times and other fantastic festivals and gigs over the years

I'll have a read back through and catch up
Old 07-10-2019, 07:24 AM
Pass me the Vongole

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Palace View Post
I may well have seen him on the same tour..I don't remember exactly when it was. Certainly around that time
My recollection is the Shaw Theatre, off the Euston Rd.

Have had to play that Apprentice album this morning to remind me of what great music is
Old 07-10-2019, 07:31 AM
Pass me the Vongole

A popular song I know, but its' impact isn't lessened by its simplicity

Old 07-10-2019, 07:44 AM
Pass me the Vongole

Some African folk from a Congolese master who sadly is no longer with us

Old 11-10-2019, 07:08 PM

highfields is so good, is so bad; you understand - I can't expandhighfields is so good, is so bad; you understand - I can't expandhighfields is so good, is so bad; you understand - I can't expandhighfields is so good, is so bad; you understand - I can't expandhighfields is so good, is so bad; you understand - I can't expandhighfields is so good, is so bad; you understand - I can't expandhighfields is so good, is so bad; you understand - I can't expandhighfields is so good, is so bad; you understand - I can't expandhighfields is so good, is so bad; you understand - I can't expandhighfields is so good, is so bad; you understand - I can't expandhighfields is so good, is so bad; you understand - I can't expand
Saw John Martyn playing support for Sandy Denny (and band) at the Festival Hall in 1971. I think it was Sandy's first performance after Fotheringay split up. John Martyn was brilliant. I also saw him at the final Rainbow Theatre concert along with Procul Harum and other acts. Favourite songs were Spencer the Rover and Bless the Weather and of course May You Never.
Old 20-10-2019, 03:27 PM
Pass me the Vongole

Music to soothe the soul.....don't even need to understand Gaelic

Old 27-10-2019, 07:46 AM
Pass me the Vongole

Someone once said 'lost love and deep regret will bring any man to his knees'

This song epitomises that sentiment. Beautiful, one of his best....

Old 27-10-2019, 07:56 AM
Pass me the Vongole

...and once you've found the one, never let them go....