Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » The Music Forum

Notices

The Music Forum All things music

Old 06-11-2011, 06:11 PM
Born in South London

gcwhite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgcwhite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgcwhite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgcwhite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgcwhite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgcwhite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgcwhite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgcwhite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgcwhite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgcwhite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgcwhite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Fleetwood Mac

A rather surprising thing has just happened to me. I have become a fan of Fleetwood Mac. It's surprising because I have basically ignored them for over 40 years.

As a teenager I loved Oh Well and Man of the World. But then Peter Green lost his grip on reality and as far as I was concerned Fleetwood Mac disappeared.

In the mid 70s they reinvented themselves as a more mainstream pop band with Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham but I rejected them as I was a hippie from the late 60s.

Time went past until I decided to buy Rumours on CD but I still didn't get it. This all changed this year when I saw the DVD of their comeback in 1997. I suddenly discovered that Stevie Nicks is gorgeous and has a fantastic voice, Buckingham can play and Fleetwood is a great showman.

I've probably left it a bit late but I'm enjoying it.

Anyone else had a similar experience or is it just me?
Old 06-11-2011, 06:13 PM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
As a yoot I didn't like Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd - I do now.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:27 PM

cappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is herecappuccinoeagle Sam the man is here
Liked some of their 60s stuff,and Rumours fab,after that mostly overproduced 1980s AOR dross.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:24 PM
Keeping The Faith

gold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is here
Oh well is a cracking track.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:57 AM

Ardent : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineArdent : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineArdent : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineArdent : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineArdent : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineArdent : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineArdent : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineArdent : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineArdent : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineArdent : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineArdent : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Always liked them but only up to and including rumours.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:33 PM
Keeping The Faith

gold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is here
Big Love by Lindsay Buckingham good tune
Old 09-11-2011, 05:53 PM
Professional Cynic

ChristalPalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChristalPalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChristalPalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChristalPalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChristalPalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChristalPalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChristalPalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChristalPalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChristalPalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChristalPalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChristalPalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Rumours is superb, particularly 'Go Your Own Way.'

Tusk is something of an acquired taste. I read Lindsay Buckingham's girlfriend's book (sounds crappy but the culture of Fleetwood Mac - i.e. they all hated each other for various reasons, but 'the chains [of being in the band] keep us together' - makes it not so) a couple of years back after hearing it recommended on the wireless, and it made clear that he was desperate to not just make another Rumours.

Tango in the Night had its moments as an 80s pop album (I adore 'Everywhere').

Never been so keen on the Peter Green era stuff - Oh Well, the Green Manalishi and Black Magic Woman are good value, but the rest I can leave.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:15 PM
Ex Waddon bloke

Les Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is here
Rumours and tusk got me into them,good group.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:39 PM
Blues Brother

elwood : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineelwood : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineelwood : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineelwood : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineelwood : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineelwood : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineelwood : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineelwood : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineelwood : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineelwood : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineelwood : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Peter Green is one of the best blues artists to come out of England,
I do own Rumours, but it only gets played when
my mum and dad come round for dinner.
Lindsey Buckingham is a good guitarist admittedly,
but his song writing is pop (not really my cup of tea),
and Stevie Nicks' voice is awful.
Fleetwood mac were a great blues band,
and then an ok pop band.
To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 09-11-2011, 08:19 PM
Keeping The Faith

John Mayall's "Beano" album, another cracking listen, not Mac as such but of course John McVie played Bass for a bit.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:05 PM
Blues Brother

elwood : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineelwood : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineelwood : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineelwood : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineelwood : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineelwood : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineelwood : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineelwood : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineelwood : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineelwood : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineelwood : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold76
John Mayall's "Beano" album, another cracking listen, not Mac as such but of course John McVie played Bass for a bit.
Yep, like abit of John Mayall.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:26 PM

Littlecaesar came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLittlecaesar came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLittlecaesar came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLittlecaesar came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLittlecaesar came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLittlecaesar came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLittlecaesar came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLittlecaesar came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLittlecaesar came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLittlecaesar came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLittlecaesar came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I'm a big fan, weirdly enough of both of the successful line-ups.

Peter Green’s FM seemed to offer something different to say The Rolling Stones at the time, after listening to a lot of Guitarists from the late 60’s, I still believe that Green, although not technically as accomplished as the likes of Clapton, was the best White Blue’s Guitarist of that time, closely followed by Rory Gallagher as both seemed to have a real passion, and in Green’s case, an emotional feel for it. His live version of B.B. King’s All Over Again at Filmore West is one of the most emotionally driven and amazing uses of a guitar I think I have ever heard. With Jeremy Spencer and Danny Kirwan, they also had 2 other players that offered something more than just Blues. It’s just a damn shame that bad encounters with Acid gave both Green and Kirwan Mental Health issues as both had a lot to offer musically.

I’m a big fan of Lindsey Buckingham, incidentally I’m off to see him in a few weeks time. I still think that although his song writing can be hit and miss at times, his technical ability and sound is like no other guitarist I have ever heard and how people such as the ironically named ‘The Edge’ of U2 make it into the Top 100 Guitarist Lists, and Buckingham doesn’t is beyond me.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:24 PM
Blues Brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlecaesar
I'm a big fan, weirdly enough of both of the successful line-ups.

Peter Green’s FM seemed to offer something different to say The Rolling Stones at the time, after listening to a lot of Guitarists from the late 60’s, I still believe that Green, although not technically as accomplished as the likes of Clapton, was the best White Blue’s Guitarist of that time, closely followed by Rory Gallagher as both seemed to have a real passion, and in Green’s case, an emotional feel for it. His live version of B.B. King’s All Over Again at Filmore West is one of the most emotionally driven and amazing uses of a guitar I think I have ever heard. With Jeremy Spencer and Danny Kirwan, they also had 2 other players that offered something more than just Blues. It’s just a damn shame that bad encounters with Acid gave both Green and Kirwan Mental Health issues as both had a lot to offer musically.

I’m a big fan of Lindsey Buckingham, incidentally I’m off to see him in a few weeks time. I still think that although his song writing can be hit and miss at times, his technical ability and sound is like no other guitarist I have ever heard and how people such as the ironically named ‘The Edge’ of U2 make it into the Top 100 Guitarist Lists, and Buckingham doesn’t is beyond me.
You obviously know ya stuff,
can't argue with any of that, hope you enjoy
Lindsaey Buckingham!
let us know how it was.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:44 PM
It's lit bruh!

Asagaya_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAsagaya_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAsagaya_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAsagaya_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAsagaya_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAsagaya_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAsagaya_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAsagaya_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAsagaya_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAsagaya_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAsagaya_Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Always preferred the Peter Green era stuff myself. Went to his comeback gig at the Guildford Folk Festival maybe about 15 years ago. Eric Clapton was in the crowd to see him and whilst he was still obviously not yet "match fit", it was still pretty special.

Not such a big fan of the later stuff, although Rumours is an iconic album.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:55 PM

LSEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLSEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLSEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLSEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLSEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLSEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLSEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLSEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLSEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLSEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLSEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
'You Make Loving Fun' is a great song
Old 07-12-2011, 11:06 PM
Tunbridge Wells Massive

Dobbo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDobbo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDobbo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDobbo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDobbo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDobbo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDobbo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDobbo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDobbo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDobbo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDobbo came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Having seen John Mayall's Bluesbreakers play at the Marquee Club c 1967, I naturally followed the initial gigs of Fleetwood Mac with great enthusiasm around the blues venues of South London, like the Nag's Head in Clapham, The Broad Green Tavern, The Bromley Court Hotel, The Crystal Palace Tavern, as well as The Windsor National Jazz and Blues Festival. For me, these times were the pinnacle of the band. By the time Danny Kirwan joined the huge initial buzz was fading, and the iconic Peter Green was begining to lose interest. I've always found it ironic that for the masses Fleetwood Mac are remembered for the soft rock era of Buckingham/Nicks rather than the wonderfully inventive days of the original blues based band consisting of Green, Jeremy Spencer, McVie & Fleetwood.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:46 PM

Littlecaesar came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLittlecaesar came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLittlecaesar came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLittlecaesar came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLittlecaesar came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLittlecaesar came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLittlecaesar came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLittlecaesar came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLittlecaesar came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLittlecaesar came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLittlecaesar came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwood
You obviously know ya stuff,
can't argue with any of that, hope you enjoy
Lindsaey Buckingham!
let us know how it was.
Not going to get the chance this side of Christmas now, the whole UK Leg of the Tour has been postponed as he has a 'Bad Back', well I suppose he is now in his late 50's early 60's. Shame as I have a feeling he won't Solo Tour again after this.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:49 PM
Fresh Vince of Hilaire

Psychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asagaya_Eagle
Always preferred the Peter Green era stuff myself.
Me and AWFOW used to know his niece. She was a mental too.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:11 PM
Born in South London

gcwhite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgcwhite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgcwhite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgcwhite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgcwhite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgcwhite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgcwhite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgcwhite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgcwhite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgcwhite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietgcwhite came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I read somewhere on the internet that Green only went barmy after dropping some bad acid in Germany.

Anyone know anything about that?
Old 09-12-2011, 08:09 PM
Blues Brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcwhite
I read somewhere on the internet that Green only went barmy after dropping some bad acid in Germany.

Anyone know anything about that?
Don't know whether to answer,
as I don't know if your'e being serious!
it's a very well known part of British music history,
and a real shame.