Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic The Music Forum

Notices

The Music Forum All things music

Old 18-04-2012, 09:04 PM
Edenbridge in Exile

Ninjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is hereNinjas Headband Sam the man is here
The Clash

Great radio documentary on the making on 'London Calling' with Paul Simonon & Mick Jones talking to Steve Lamacq on 6Music; To view the link you have to Register or Login

Also the festival line up has recently been announced for Strummer of Love 2012. Sounds like a great festival with the likes of Alabama3, Billy Bragg, Basement Jaxx, Frank Turner & the Pogues playing in a field in Somerset near to where Joe used to live; To view the link you have to Register or Login

The festival is the weeekend of 17th-19th August which is gutting as my old man lives near by, (he even helped to build Strummer's stone circle) but I'm away on a family holiday. Ah well always next year!

Old 18-04-2012, 09:28 PM
C. Palace 1 Oxford U. 0

hughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is herehughff Sam the man is here
Just listened to this album yesterday - so many excellent tracks.

The story I heard/read was that they wanted to do a double LP but the label only wanted a single, as a compromise, they were allowed to record an extra single with "some B tracks." The second LP was the single plus seven (!) B tracks. Can someone confirm that?

If you wish to follow a football club based on their success then you could not view yourself as a supporter ... you are merely a customer. - Mat ov CPFC.

Don't let anybody make you think that God chose America as his divine messianic force to be a sort of policeman of the whole world. God has a way of standing before the nations with judgement and it seems to me that I can hear God saying to America, "You are too arrogant." - Martin Luther King
Old 18-04-2012, 09:37 PM
Thinking about it

NZsparky : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNZsparky : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNZsparky : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNZsparky : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNZsparky : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNZsparky : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNZsparky : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNZsparky : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNZsparky : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNZsparky : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNZsparky : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Am posting so that I can log on to this when i get home from work.
Old 19-04-2012, 10:28 AM
thoughtful & kind..

The Misfit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Misfit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Misfit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Misfit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Misfit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Misfit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Misfit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Misfit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Misfit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Misfit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Misfit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughff
Just listened to this album yesterday - so many excellent tracks.

The story I heard/read was that they wanted to do a double LP but the label only wanted a single, as a compromise, they were allowed to record an extra single with "some B tracks." The second LP was the single plus seven (!) B tracks. Can someone confirm that?
That is essentially what happened with what was effectively a double album retailing for the price of a single album. However, the extra "single" became a 9 track disc with the late addition of Train In Vain which is not credited on the original album sleeve or label although 'Track 5 is "Train In Vain"' is scratched into the run out groove on the 4th side.
Old 19-04-2012, 10:40 AM

ExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is here
'London Calling' though released at the end of 1979, was voted album of the Eighties by Rolling Stone magazine.

The album took them away from the limitations of just being a punk band, but they managed to do it while still keeping the punk ethos alive.

However have to say their first album 'The Clash ' is my favourite of theirs and only The Stone Roses first album comes close to beating it.

EDIT: Train in Vain is shit, and I think the The Clash themselves, with the exception of Mick Jones, thought the same.
Old 19-04-2012, 10:52 AM
thoughtful & kind..

The Misfit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Misfit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Misfit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Misfit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Misfit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Misfit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Misfit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Misfit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Misfit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Misfit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Misfit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExiledStirling
EDIT: Train in Vain is shit, and I think the The Clash themselves, with the exception of Mick Jones, thought the same.
Really? Oh well, each to their own, but I think it's a great song and that's the first I've heard of the rest of the band hating it. Apparently it's the most covered song the Clash wrote (source - The Complete Clash by Keith Topping).
Old 19-04-2012, 11:06 AM

ExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Misfit
Really? Oh well, each to their own, but I think it's a great song and that's the first I've heard of the rest of the band hating it. Apparently it's the most covered song the Clash wrote (source - The Complete Clash by Keith Topping).
I can believe that it is the most covered, as it is very catchy pop tune.

As for the band hating it, thought I had read it somewhere a while ago, that they only played it live to keep Mick Jones happy, but I could be totally wrong on some or all of this.
Old 19-04-2012, 11:17 AM
thoughtful & kind..

Apparently the song was ranked number 298 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time, so it can't be all that bad.
Old 19-04-2012, 11:21 AM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
Oof, there are some pretty crappy songs on that list.
Old 19-04-2012, 11:24 AM
thoughtful & kind..

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Aguila
Oof, there are some pretty crappy songs on that list.
You're not really a Clash fan, are you El Ag?
Old 19-04-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Apparently the song was ranked number 298 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time, so it can't be all that bad.
No perhaps not however my calling it 'shit' is probably because when I compare it to their other stuff, it stands out as totally different, but not in a good way like 'Stay Free', but in a shit way, as it is just a pure pop record that has nothing to say of any value, and therefore totally off-kilter to their usual output.
Old 19-04-2012, 11:40 AM
Zuffenhausen

917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here
Thanks for posting Ninja, will have a full listen to the interview this evening

FWIW Ive always liked Train in Vain, though its far from my favourite Clash song. Cant recall any dislike of it from the band in anything Ive read, but I am getting old and my memory isnt what it was...
Old 19-04-2012, 11:49 AM
thoughtful & kind..

Quote:
No perhaps not however my calling it 'shit' is probably because when I compare it to their other stuff, it stands out as totally different, but not in a good way like 'Stay Free', but in a shit way, as it is just a pure pop record that has nothing to say of any value, and therefore totally off-kilter to their usual output.
I understand that you don't like it and I'm not trying to change you're opinion, but it has plenty to say in a personal way, about his split with Viv Albertine. What is unusual about it is that it's a love song, and the Clash didn't write many of those.
Old 19-04-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 917L
Cant recall any dislike of it from the band in anything Ive read, but I am getting old and my memory isnt what it was...
I have been scouring the internet to back up my claim and other than this rather feeble source am drawing a blank

To view the link you have to Register or Login

'It's a longstanding belief that Joe Strummer disliked this song because it was too pop for the "Only Band that Matters." I find this a little hard to believe, because the "Londong Calling" was, for the Clash anyway, a fairly poppy album, so the song doesn't sound so out of place, as it might on some other efforts. Maybe Strummer was just jealous that Jones got the spotlight on this one.
- kevin, Reading , PA'
Old 19-04-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
I understand that you don't like it and I'm not trying to change you're opinion, but it has plenty to say in a personal way, about his split with Viv Albertine. What is unusual about it is that it's a love song, and the Clash didn't write many of those.
That is true and was apparently a reposte to a song her and The Slits did.

Mick Jones wrote more love songs than we probably realised.

'I'm so bored with the USA' started life as 'I'm so bored with you' until Strummer put his twopenny worth in.
Old 19-04-2012, 12:05 PM

Kidofwonder Sam the man is hereKidofwonder Sam the man is hereKidofwonder Sam the man is hereKidofwonder Sam the man is hereKidofwonder Sam the man is hereKidofwonder Sam the man is hereKidofwonder Sam the man is hereKidofwonder Sam the man is hereKidofwonder Sam the man is hereKidofwonder Sam the man is hereKidofwonder Sam the man is here
Mick jones was a massive mott the hoople fan and wrote songs like 1,2 crush on you he wrote tonnes of cheese
Old 19-04-2012, 12:06 PM
thoughtful & kind..

Quote:
That is true and was apparently a reposte to a song her and The Slits did.
Typical Girls, which contains the line, "Typical girls stand by their man", although since this was meant in a sarcastic fashion, the riposte doesn't really work.
Old 19-04-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Typical Girls, which contains the line, "Typical girls stand by their man", although since this was meant in a sarcastic fashion, the riposte doesn't really work.
Thanks. I was never into The Slits, so just listened to it on Youtube, and It reminded me why !!
Old 19-04-2012, 12:18 PM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
Quote:
You're not really a Clash fan, are you El Ag?
I mean the 500 best tracks of all time according to Rolling Stone.

I was a Clash fan when they were around (when I was old enough to discover music for myself which was around the "Cost of Living EP")..... I just find people take them a bit too seriously, I like to remind people of their preposterous contradictions.

If I was being tortured I would admit that I prefer music which is a bit more musically adventurous than the Clash tended to make.
Old 19-04-2012, 12:18 PM
thoughtful & kind..

Quote:
Thanks. I was never into The Slits, so just listened to it on Youtube, and It reminded me why !!
But the Slits were wonderful!