Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 16-07-2015, 10:45 AM
Bombay Bad Boy

Dave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue Eagle View Post
I suspect most of that has changed in the past few years, but again, on salaries at least - devil & deep blue sea, pay the market rate for talent, get beaten up, don't and talent goes to ITV/Sky, get beaten up (unless it's J Ross when if you don't instantly fire him based on 5 complaints you are not fit to live on planet earth)
ITV have always been frugal on salaries for everyone apart from in front of screen talent and a few key execs

I worked there too
Old 16-07-2015, 10:48 AM
Got any nuts?

Wolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is here
The most worrying aspect of this is that Cameron and his chums are specifically targeting the web site.

They seem to think that the "newspapers" should be providing the news and not the BBC. Whatever your political view is it cannot be right for rich individuals to manipulate the news agenda. Nb Rupert Murdoch, The Barclay brothers, Richard Desmond and Dacre.

Cricket wanker.
Old 16-07-2015, 11:01 AM

Nth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is here
I don't hold strong views on the future of the BBC but do utterly dislike the regressive tax licence feel. I particularly don't like the criminalising of those who can't pay the fee. So abolish the fee and pay for it out of general taxation. I also think that there has to be ferocious cost cutting amongst celebrities pay. If that means a few so called stars go to other channels then so be it especially if it means new space for young up and coming talent. Oh and they should be more regionalised as they take licence fees of people from modest income beyond the London luvvie belt.
Old 16-07-2015, 11:02 AM

liberal clubber came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietliberal clubber came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietliberal clubber came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietliberal clubber came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietliberal clubber came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietliberal clubber came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietliberal clubber came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietliberal clubber came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietliberal clubber came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietliberal clubber came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietliberal clubber came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I worked briefly at the BBC and a few things I remember.

- Wastage, massive wastage on virtually every level - I worked in an office of maybe 80 people, at any one day half of those would not bother coming in, the others would sit watching DVDs etc
- Decadence - free beer and wine at virtually any occasion (training for example), I'm okay with this mostly but it comes out of our tax
- Stupid money paid - My colleague was so well paid that he often joked that after one year he burnt the entire licence fees of Milton Keynes on his salary

A lot of this has changed but the wankers still make Top Gear so fair is fair
when was this? 1986?
Old 16-07-2015, 11:04 AM

liberal clubber came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietliberal clubber came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietliberal clubber came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietliberal clubber came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietliberal clubber came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietliberal clubber came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietliberal clubber came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietliberal clubber came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietliberal clubber came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietliberal clubber came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietliberal clubber came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
the tories are sucking up to media barons, in exchange for favorable press.
Man., it stinks to high heaven
Old 16-07-2015, 11:04 AM

Ghosteagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGhosteagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGhosteagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGhosteagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGhosteagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGhosteagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGhosteagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGhosteagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGhosteagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGhosteagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGhosteagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by liberal clubber View Post
when was this? 1986?
It was a joke surely?
Old 16-07-2015, 11:15 AM

I see where you are coming from-it's from Dave so "no"
Old 16-07-2015, 11:17 AM

Away came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nth Kent Eagle View Post
I don't hold strong views on the future of the BBC but do utterly dislike the regressive tax licence feel. I particularly don't like the criminalising of those who can't pay the fee. So abolish the fee and pay for it out of general taxation. I also think that there has to be ferocious cost cutting amongst celebrities pay. If that means a few so called stars go to other channels then so be it especially if it means new space for young up and coming talent. Oh and they should be more regionalised as they take licence fees of people from modest income beyond the London luvvie belt.
Sort of agree, but on regionalisation, I've never seen the point. On BBC Points West we get a couple of house fires, some idiot driving on the pavement, and a spurious link to a national story, like Bob from Bristol once went to Libya, or someone gets an award who lived in Malmesbury for a couple of years in the 1960s.

The last straw was when there were severe gales across the country and I heard a piece on Radio Oxford about a bit falling off a church. They had about 5 minutes on it.

I'm happy for all that stuff to be left to the local newspaper along with pictures of kids celebrating their exam results. I even buy those papers sometimes (though the Stroud News & Journal has a propensity to report things that haven't actually happened - when I first moved here, the first SNJ front page I saw was "Car not moved" about a car that actually hadn't moved from where it was previously; the next week it was about a kitchen that hadn't been delivered).
Old 16-07-2015, 11:18 AM

Away came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Except I suppose regional services are a training ground for journalists.
Old 16-07-2015, 11:23 AM

Nth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Away View Post
Sort of agree, but on regionalisation, I've never seen the point. On BBC Points West we get a couple of house fires, some idiot driving on the pavement, and a spurious link to a national story, like Bob from Bristol once went to Libya, or someone gets an award who lived in Malmesbury for a couple of years in the 1960s.

The last straw was when there were severe gales across the country and I heard a piece on Radio Oxford about a bit falling off a church. They had about 5 minutes on it.

I'm happy for all that stuff to be left to the local newspaper along with pictures of kids celebrating their exam results. I even buy those papers sometimes (though the Stroud News & Journal has a propensity to report things that haven't actually happened - when I first moved here, the first SNJ front page I saw was "Car not moved" about a car that actually hadn't moved from where it was previously; the next week it was about a kitchen that hadn't been delivered).
Good post. I think I prefer the news in the Stroud News and Journal to what you read every day in the News Shopper, SLP or Croydon Advertiser around youth stabbed etc.
Old 16-07-2015, 11:30 AM
Lurker

sirdougie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsirdougie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsirdougie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsirdougie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsirdougie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsirdougie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsirdougie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsirdougie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsirdougie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsirdougie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsirdougie came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
One of the local papers in Newcastle, The Journal, actually has editorial standards far higher than most national newspapers. They have very in depth reporting and editorials on national politics, business and news. The Evening Chronicle is not too shabby either.
Old 21-07-2015, 12:22 PM

Richard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfnipplechips View Post
Spot on in every way. Must spread etc.
Completely agree. I'm a huge fan of the BBC, warts'n'all - so, aside from a certain amount of nipping and tucking, I would be very disappointed if the Tories did anything significant to it.

I would, however, certainly query some of its management attitudes and, in this regard, can do no better that Mat ov, who once memorably refered to it (and I may mis-quote a little) as a "smashing organisation in the hands of the wrong people".
Old 21-07-2015, 04:49 PM
An Alpha Deplorable.

Mat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
I would, however, certainly query some of its management attitudes and, in this regard, can do no better that Mat ov, who once memorably refered to it (and I may mis-quote a little) as a "smashing organisation in the hands of the wrong people".

It certainly needs some major structal changes to how it is being run on all sorts of levels but the wider ethos behind it is one I admire.

But I do have to question how valid the current financing of it is being done. It is, when all is said and done, one of the most regressive forms of taxation out there and actually punishes many of those already at the fringes of our society. My understanding is that if you claim to only use the BBC via catch up services you are able to duck paying the licence fee which means a whole slew of people, who are probably more than able to afford this, are given a free pass where as a lot of say elderly people or those with a lack of technical nous have to carry the burden even more.

Whilst I would not want to see the BBC reduced to a purely subscription model I also struggle to understand why some of its programming could not carry private advertising. Its versions of talent shows and so on would not be harmed by carrying sponsorship or adverts and if these could be used to fund other parts then great.

Personally I would happily pay out a subscription for a BBC service that included BBC4 with perhaps a more quality drama service along the lines of HBO.

The flat licence fee, in this modern age, is becoming an anochronism and cannot be maintained at the level it is. What I think the BBC lacks is the imagination to accept this and move with the times according. Its role in the past was to reflect and entertain a nation that, by and large, shared a lot of common cultural values. It had a captive audience. That no longer exists.

And therefore, it is unsustainable to maintain the current licence fee.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:34 AM
Happy Felix Day!

Adlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is here
It continues

To view the link you have to Register or Login
The Defector looks like no other breaking pitch in the game. It is well-supinated, leaving the right hand of Fernandez at a fastball trajectory before the laws of physics cease to apply and the laws of awesome take over.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:55 AM
Watching from Warmington

Big Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is hereBig Blue Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlerhorst View Post
It continues

While the interference with scheduling has been denied by the DCMS or whatever it is called today, it has been clear since day 1 that Whittingdale has it in for the BBC and will push this as far as he can. One thing less widely reported than it should have been is serious flaws in the consultations to only get views supporting his ideas. The Radio Times carried a survey for readers to contribute to the consultation and gathered well over 3000 responses which it submitted to the Minister on an encrypted memory stick. The Ministry published the consultation views, claimed to have taken into account all submissions including the RT readers, but never requested the code to access the memory stick - their excuse? The RT questions were worded slightly differently so they were not valid.

The low level of coverage given to the various stories about Whittingdale recently, when they would normally trumpet it for days has been very telling about his cosy relationship with editors.

Other than a few loud minority voices all public polls show huge support (but not unqualified) for the BBC, as does the ratings it gets vs both ITV and Sky. The Mail group, ITV, Sky/Murdoch desperately want a neutered BBC and there must be a serious risk Whittingdale will give it to them, and even worse, some of his governance suggestions could effectively create a pseudo state broadcaster.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19232019
Old 01-05-2016, 11:04 AM
Greatest Mouse Detective

Location: In a post box in the heart of Mayfair, and at Lloyd's
DANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is hereDANGERMOUSE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlerhorst View Post
It continues

So punished for being popular; you can imagine the 'why does my licence fee go to making stuff that no one watches' complaints if it didn't have any ratings hits.
Old 01-05-2016, 02:40 PM

Halftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANGERMOUSE View Post
So punished for being popular; you can imagine the 'why does my licence fee go to making stuff that no one watches' complaints if it didn't have any ratings hits.
Which is of course a lot of the reason why there are moves against the BBC going after ratings, its a path to potential cuts to the future after claims they don't represent a wider viewship.
Old 01-05-2016, 02:52 PM

Johnnieboy Sam the man is hereJohnnieboy Sam the man is hereJohnnieboy Sam the man is hereJohnnieboy Sam the man is hereJohnnieboy Sam the man is hereJohnnieboy Sam the man is hereJohnnieboy Sam the man is hereJohnnieboy Sam the man is hereJohnnieboy Sam the man is hereJohnnieboy Sam the man is hereJohnnieboy Sam the man is here
Does Simon Cowell now dictate the BBC's schedule as well as ITV's...

Last edited by Johnnieboy; 01-05-2016 at 02:54 PM.
Old 01-05-2016, 03:10 PM

Yoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANGERMOUSE View Post
Yes, there are peak viewing slots for a reason, and their number is limited.

Families don't want to watch Strictly at 5pm on a Saturday, nor 10 o/c. Shows like that are clearly for the 7-9ish bracket, regardless of what's being shown on ITV.

Who cares anyway, people record one when there's a clash of timings, or use things like iplayer. It's no longer such a big issue when popular programmes clash and the market research stats take account of iplayer etc.

ITV should focus on producing the most appealing programme instead of whinging to the Govt. Despite paying enormous sums to Simon Cowell and plastic celebrities like Cheryl, xfactor has fallen against Strictly in comparison with a few years ago. It's a tired format. Their other programmes revolve around Ant an Dec, v popular presenters but even some of their progs have become repetitive.
Old 01-05-2016, 03:42 PM

Nork1 Sam the man is hereNork1 Sam the man is hereNork1 Sam the man is hereNork1 Sam the man is hereNork1 Sam the man is hereNork1 Sam the man is hereNork1 Sam the man is hereNork1 Sam the man is hereNork1 Sam the man is hereNork1 Sam the man is hereNork1 Sam the man is here
On the plus side it will put an end to hourly trailers promoting Michael ******* McIntyre.
"The cameras at the moment are focusing on the Liverpool fans, they look in disbelief, they look shocked, there's the odd one in tears. They've also just focused on one who's just picked his nose and eaten it which is rather disgusting."

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHIL BARBER View Post
all the doubters will be dealt with when it is confirmed....