Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 13-05-2016, 11:42 AM
thoughtful & kind..

The Misfit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Misfit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Misfit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Misfit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Misfit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Misfit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Misfit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Misfit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Misfit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Misfit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThe Misfit came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltklasse View Post
i would just like Laura Kuessenberg replaced, i just find her grating.
Her wonky mouth is a big distraction.

But nothing like as big a distraction as Robert Peston's delivery was, so let's be grateful that he's gone elsewhere.
Old 13-05-2016, 11:49 AM
Poker King

Jukesy Sam the man is hereJukesy Sam the man is hereJukesy Sam the man is hereJukesy Sam the man is hereJukesy Sam the man is hereJukesy Sam the man is hereJukesy Sam the man is hereJukesy Sam the man is hereJukesy Sam the man is hereJukesy Sam the man is hereJukesy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunter View Post
I honestly would not care if the BBC died and the Tv license along with it. Havent watched live Tv in my living room for well over a year now.
So sad.
Old 13-05-2016, 11:51 AM
South Penge Massive

elgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
I honestly would not care if the BBC died and the Tv license along with it. Havent watched live Tv in my living room for well over a year now.
You haven't missed much. The smear has been ramped up, and the news dumbed down, but other than that its still going in one direction along with sky. Reporting things accurately and objectively in an unbiased fashion stopped a long time ago as I'm sure you're aware.

Who funds the anti russia propaganda site bellingcat? http://newsvideo.su/video/9455566
Pretty obvious really.
Old 13-05-2016, 11:53 AM
Bass Man

bunter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbunter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbunter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbunter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbunter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbunter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbunter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbunter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbunter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbunter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbunter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesy View Post
So sad.
why sad? I can choose what I want to watch and when I want to watch it ad free on services like netflix and amazon. I also watch alot of youtube content home made by budding creators.

I have no use for live tv outside of sporting events, in which case ill either try and go to said event or watch it down the pub.
Old 13-05-2016, 12:04 PM

Webb is just too good for youWebb is just too good for youWebb is just too good for youWebb is just too good for youWebb is just too good for youWebb is just too good for youWebb is just too good for youWebb is just too good for youWebb is just too good for youWebb is just too good for youWebb is just too good for you
Quote:
What about radio, or the BBC website? Or watched an FA cup game down the pub?

The argument against funding the BBC 'because I don't watch this or that' is a thin one. This is exactly why BBC needs public funding (whether this is by an increasing outdated tv license or other means) , to cover the things that simply cannot be done by other broadcasters or programmes of varied interest and audience. No-one watches or listens to 100% of BBC output.

I don't watch that much TV live, but use iPlayer downloads, listen to 6 music and use the website daily - more than happy to pay what is essentially less than a pint a week for this (even for the stuff I never use) - especially when compared to commercial rivals.

Last edited by Webb; 13-05-2016 at 12:06 PM.
Old 13-05-2016, 12:07 PM

Nth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is here
They should do a documentary going out with the TV detector people and watch them hound the elderly, poor, single parents and unemployed.
Old 13-05-2016, 12:07 PM
Bass Man

bunter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbunter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbunter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbunter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbunter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbunter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbunter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbunter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbunter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbunter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbunter came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webb View Post
What about radio, or the BBC website? Or watched an FA cup game down the pub?

The argument against funding the BBC 'because I don't watch this or that' is a thin one. This is exactly why BBC needs public funding (whether this is by an increasing outdated tv license or other means) , to cover the things that simply cannot be done by other broadcasters or programmes of varied interest and audience. No-one watches or listens to 100% of BBC output.

I don't watch that much TV live, but use iPlayer downloads, listen to 6 music and use the website daily - more than happy to pay what is essentially less than a pint a week for this (even for the stuff I never use) - especially when compared to commercial rivals.
I dont listen to radio. I listen to podcasts via youtube.

As for their website, sure I use that for news. But if they had advertising on it to fund it would that really inflict my ability to read the news? Other websites with advertising manage just fine.
Old 13-05-2016, 12:27 PM

Webb is just too good for youWebb is just too good for youWebb is just too good for youWebb is just too good for youWebb is just too good for youWebb is just too good for youWebb is just too good for youWebb is just too good for youWebb is just too good for youWebb is just too good for youWebb is just too good for you
Quote:

As for their website, sure I use that for news. But if they had advertising on it to fund it would that really inflict my ability to read the news? Other websites with advertising manage just fine.
Yes, a future potentially commercial BBC with adverts could restrict independent editorial output. The website, although not perfect, is much nicer to use without adverts popping up, cluttering content.

I think there's an argument for allowing iPlayer access with subscription for overseas users (or a domestic subscription opt in for, say, digital access only) access that could subsidise output.
Old 13-05-2016, 12:31 PM
Poker King

Jukesy Sam the man is hereJukesy Sam the man is hereJukesy Sam the man is hereJukesy Sam the man is hereJukesy Sam the man is hereJukesy Sam the man is hereJukesy Sam the man is hereJukesy Sam the man is hereJukesy Sam the man is hereJukesy Sam the man is hereJukesy Sam the man is here
Quote:
why sad? I can choose what I want to watch and when I want to watch it ad free on services like netflix and amazon. I also watch alot of youtube content home made by budding creators.

I have no use for live tv outside of sporting events, in which case ill either try and go to said event or watch it down the pub.
Totally understand. Just think it is sad that you can wish away the greatest entertainment/media institution that has been and still is a benchmark for ALL broadcasters across the world.

Ask an American where he gets his news and he'll tell you the BBC.
Old 13-05-2016, 12:32 PM
Poker King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nth Kent Eagle View Post
They should do a documentary going out with the TV detector people and watch them hound the elderly, poor, single parents and unemployed.
Wrong
Old 13-05-2016, 12:34 PM
Poker King

Quote:

News from the BBC is as unbiased as humanly possible unlike almost all other news outlets.
Old 13-05-2016, 12:35 PM

switchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is here
I like Radio 4 and BBC4 but I don't pay my licence fee, I gave it up due to lack of usage due to the Iplayer, having to pay to use the Iplayer would not interest me.
Old 13-05-2016, 12:37 PM
An Alpha Deplorable.

Mat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Totally understand. Just think it is sad that you can wish away the greatest entertainment/media institution that has been and still is a benchmark for ALL broadcasters across the world.

Ask an American where he gets his news and he'll tell you the BBC.
Nobody wants to wish it away. But its funding model is simply unjustifiable in this modern world. I would happily pay a subscription to keep the BBC but I cannot justify why that should be forced onto others. 20 or so years ago, then a case could be made for it but in this new age of multiple platforms, then it is no longer viable.
Old 13-05-2016, 12:45 PM
Its gonna be a lovely day

Heb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat ov CPFC View Post
Nobody wants to wish it away. But its funding model is simply unjustifiable in this modern world. I would happily pay a subscription to keep the BBC but I cannot justify why that should be forced onto others. 20 or so years ago, then a case could be made for it but in this new age of multiple platforms, then it is no longer viable.
There is no fee for the BBC. We have a TV licence to watch live television. We happen to use that to fund the BBC, and (unhelpfulky I think) leave it to the BBC to collect it, but the fee is not for the BBC.

Licence fees are common; and frankly looking at what we pay and what we use that money for compared to other countries, we really get a great deal.

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 13-05-2016, 12:55 PM

Nth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Wrong
Licences are free for those over 75 but are you saying they now ignore those in say their late 60s or early 70s? They never used to. Edit. I hope you are right.
Old 13-05-2016, 12:57 PM
BTC

Far East Eagle Sam the man is hereFar East Eagle Sam the man is hereFar East Eagle Sam the man is hereFar East Eagle Sam the man is hereFar East Eagle Sam the man is hereFar East Eagle Sam the man is hereFar East Eagle Sam the man is hereFar East Eagle Sam the man is hereFar East Eagle Sam the man is hereFar East Eagle Sam the man is hereFar East Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heb 7:4 View Post
There is no fee for the BBC. We have a TV licence to watch live television. We happen to use that to fund the BBC, and (unhelpfulky I think) leave it to the BBC to collect it, but the fee is not for the BBC.

Licence fees are common; and frankly looking at what we pay and what we use that money for compared to other countries, we really get a great deal.

To view the link you have to Register or Login
and you just won the BBS 'most sensible comment of the day' award
Old 13-05-2016, 03:20 PM

Yoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is here
Quote:

Podcasts are recordings of radio programmes, just as watching a TV programme on iplayer is a recording of that TV programme.

So whether you choose to listen to or watch these programmes 'live' or at a later date is immaterial.

Those programmes have to be made and therefore paid for.
Old 13-05-2016, 03:36 PM

Yoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat ov CPFC View Post
The subscription model has been looked at and even Whittingdale kicked that into the long grass.

It sounds appealing and fairer, but there are many problems with it.

A key one is how to prevent people who haven't paid the subscription from receiving the BBC programmes for free? If that's too easy to do, too many people will chose not to pay but continue to watch/listen.

Ofcourse you could then endeavour to police access and issue fines, but the cost of that activity would outweigh the benefit. Can you imagine, for example, the difficulty involved in proving someone without a subscription had tuned their TV in on Saturdays to watch MOTD?

So it remains much simpler and more cost effective as a process to say that if you have a TV, then you should have a licence. But even that is becoming more complicated now some use their computers to watch instead.

It may well be that technology changes in the future will make the subscription model better, in which case it will be revisited as an option.
Old 13-05-2016, 03:40 PM
Bass Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Podcasts are recordings of radio programmes, just as watching a TV programme on iplayer is a recording of that TV programme.

So whether you choose to listen to or watch these programmes 'live' or at a later date is immaterial.

Those programmes have to be made and therefore paid for.
The podcasts I listen to are paid for, via advertising and pateron subscribtion models. Im not listening to bbc radio shows at a later date though. Im listening to nerdy video game podcasts on youtube.

And I dont watch or listen to anything live so the license fee I pay is pretty much a waste of money.
Old 13-05-2016, 03:51 PM

Quote:
The podcasts I listen to are paid for, via advertising and pateron subscribtion models. Im not listening to bbc radio shows at a later date though. Im listening to nerdy video game podcasts on youtube.

And I dont watch or listen to anything live so the license fee I pay is pretty much a waste of money.
Sorry, I misunderstood your previous post.

I do think it's a shame that you couldn't care if the BBC closed, I suspect that would impact more on you in the future than you think. It is also hugely respected around the world (possibly more so than here actually!) and a great ambassador for British culture etc.

The World Service has also been a lifeline to many....again loved beyond our shores and hugely appreciated.