Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 16-10-2019, 09:22 PM
sleep chaser

mushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braders View Post
Exactly. Reserve judgement until he's given a proper chance might be wise and fair no?
That's not the way it works buddy... you say he's shit (probably out of frustration)... then highlight all the bad things he does to justify your first (knee-jerk) judgement. If someone acknowledges the bad things, but also mentions the good things and suggests showing patience to see if he can progress... pretend what they are actually saying is, he is world class and should win ballon d'or.

If you do anything other than the above, you may run the risk of admitting you were wrong.
Old 16-10-2019, 09:59 PM

DARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroom View Post
You don't get it do you?
If you and your mate get chased by a lion... you don't need to be faster than the lion, just faster than your mate.
Old 16-10-2019, 10:07 PM

CP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is hereCP-RJW Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie McGoldrick's tash View Post
Disagree. Benteke has been involved in a lot of goals and got assists - Sorloth hasn't. Obviously he has had far fewer minutes on the pitch but even accounting for that Benteke has contributed more.
By years I meant seasons. Benteke has contributed one assist and one goal since the start of 18/19. Sorloth would’ve beaten that easily with the same gametime imo. All of his starts (a grand total of 4) were against top 6 sides with Wilf injured.

Last edited by CP-RJW; 16-10-2019 at 10:17 PM.
Old 17-10-2019, 09:54 AM

cockles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcockles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcockles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcockles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcockles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcockles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcockles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcockles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcockles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcockles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcockles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP-RJW View Post
By years I meant seasons. Benteke has contributed one assist and one goal since the start of 18/19. Sorloth would’ve beaten that easily with the same gametime imo. All of his starts (a grand total of 4) were against top 6 sides with Wilf injured.
This is not the thread to post facts!
Old 17-10-2019, 11:19 PM
I'm thinking about it

Eddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP-RJW View Post
OK so last two seasons is a bit different than the last 2 years, but then the last two seasons consists of one that Benteke was injured for more than half of it and didn't play much when fit. The other one is still very young and again he hasn't played much in it. Although he made two excellent chances for us against Everton and was also very involved in our winner at Old Trafford. Did really well there.

But even so, Benteke has been involved in more than 1 goal since the start of 18/19 surely!

Off the top of my head, he created Wilf's goal away to Fulham on the opening day doing really well.

He made the flick on for Wilf to score our second at Arsenal when we won there.

He was involved in winning the penalty v Fulham at home, his presence led to the handball.

So that's definitely two assists and involvement in 2 more goals. There may be more?

I have never seen Sorloth have the kind of impact Benteke has had on his (albeit rare) good days. Benteke coming off the bench also immediately improved us when we beat Huddersfield at home last season and we got our two goals soon after his introduction.

I'm not defending his massively disappointing form for us but I still think he has added more to us than Sorloth ever has and I prefer having him in the squad than the other way round.

Last edited by Eddie McGoldrick's tash; 17-10-2019 at 11:59 PM.
Old 18-10-2019, 06:23 AM

wawman_15 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewawman_15 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewawman_15 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewawman_15 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewawman_15 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewawman_15 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewawman_15 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewawman_15 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewawman_15 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewawman_15 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewawman_15 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
OK so last two seasons is a bit different than the last 2 years, but then the last two seasons consists of one that Benteke was injured for more than half of it and didn't play much when fit. The other one is still very young and again he hasn't played much in it. Although he made two excellent chances for us against Everton and was also very involved in our winner at Old Trafford. Did really well there.

But even so, Benteke has been involved in more than 1 goal since the start of 18/19 surely!

Off the top of my head, he created Wilf's goal away to Fulham on the opening day doing really well.

He made the flick on for Wilf to score our second at Arsenal when we won there.

He was involved in winning the penalty v Fulham at home, his presence led to the handball.

So that's definitely two assists and involvement in 2 more goals. There may be more?

I have never seen Sorloth have the kind of impact Benteke has had on his (albeit rare) good days. Benteke coming off the bench also immediately improved us when we beat Huddersfield at home last season and we got our two goals soon after his introduction.

I'm not defending his massively disappointing form for us but I still think he has added more to us than Sorloth ever has and I prefer having him in the squad than the other way round.
Unfortunately you have misremembered

1 goal and 1 assist last season, all in the one game

Fulham goal you mention was AWB

Do kinda agree with your point though, just not sure the cost/benefit ratio stacks up if you are comparing the two players. Squad players need to be cheaper not highest earners
Old 18-10-2019, 10:07 AM
I'm thinking about it

Eddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is hereEddie McGoldrick's tash Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawman_15 View Post
Unfortunately you have misremembered

1 goal and 1 assist last season, all in the one game

Fulham goal you mention was AWB

Do kinda agree with your point though, just not sure the cost/benefit ratio stacks up if you are comparing the two players. Squad players need to be cheaper not highest earners
You are correct re. the Fulham goal. My mistake. He did start the move though didn't he?

EDIT I have checked to avoid any more memory fails - and yes, superb cross field pass to start the move that led to the goal but AWB's assist.

I think he also produced one excellent piece of play, winning the ball around the centre circle, driving through wihh power to make a great chance for Wilf who missed. I think I was initially thinking of that as an assist, but that wasn't the chance that was taken.

He made those two great chances against Everton this season too.

It's all just opinions but I think he adds something different for us which I personally prefer to what Sorloth offers. But of course there is no right or wrong.

Last edited by Eddie McGoldrick's tash; 18-10-2019 at 10:13 AM.
Old 18-10-2019, 12:29 PM

hdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is here
Benteke won the ball in midfield and passed to Wilf which led to PVA's winning goal at Man United this season.

COYP
Old 18-10-2019, 02:07 PM

Dave Hedgehog Sam the man is hereDave Hedgehog Sam the man is hereDave Hedgehog Sam the man is hereDave Hedgehog Sam the man is hereDave Hedgehog Sam the man is hereDave Hedgehog Sam the man is hereDave Hedgehog Sam the man is hereDave Hedgehog Sam the man is hereDave Hedgehog Sam the man is hereDave Hedgehog Sam the man is hereDave Hedgehog Sam the man is here
Said before that Sorloth has all the raw ingredients to become a Premier League striker - and enough time to iron out the flaws in his game.

He wasn't given enough game time, but also didn't shine in cameos. You get the impression he never quite fit in with the character of the squad and wasn't doing anything special in training.

Still, I would much rather we had Sorloth on the bench right now than Benteke.

Moving him out and keeping Wickham looks like a mistake right now.
Old 18-10-2019, 02:09 PM

Dave Hedgehog Sam the man is hereDave Hedgehog Sam the man is hereDave Hedgehog Sam the man is hereDave Hedgehog Sam the man is hereDave Hedgehog Sam the man is hereDave Hedgehog Sam the man is hereDave Hedgehog Sam the man is hereDave Hedgehog Sam the man is hereDave Hedgehog Sam the man is hereDave Hedgehog Sam the man is hereDave Hedgehog Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdeagle View Post
Benteke won the ball in midfield and passed to Wilf which led to PVA's winning goal at Man United this season.

COYP
He won a tackle and passed it successfully...? And that's been his only meaningful contribution so far this season. Which has already been offset by his dire ball control and thoughtlessness in possession against Wolves and others.

I admire your positivity Martin, but we need to set higher standards than that.
Old 18-10-2019, 02:16 PM
sleep chaser

mushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is heremushroom Sam the man is here
Quote:

COYP

Rumours of Barcelona interest after that game
Old 18-10-2019, 02:29 PM
Old and jaded

davech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is here
Quote:

COYP
I can do that. Gissa job
Old 18-10-2019, 02:36 PM

GreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by cockles View Post
This is not the thread to post facts!
Just as well that was not a fact then!
Old 18-10-2019, 02:41 PM
Oh No!

AJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is hereAJ Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hedgehog View Post
Said before that Sorloth has all the raw ingredients to become a Premier League striker - and enough time to iron out the flaws in his game.

He wasn't given enough game time, but also didn't shine in cameos. You get the impression he never quite fit in with the character of the squad and wasn't doing anything special in training.

Still, I would much rather we had Sorloth on the bench right now than Benteke.

Moving him out and keeping Wickham looks like a mistake right now.
i dont know about all of that. He was given plenty of time and didnt do anything on or off the field. I am all for getting behind players, but his performance showed almost no effort and he offered nothing of note in any game. He appeared to be timid and slow all the time. He may be good enough in the future, but nothing he has shown at Palace is worth remembering.
Old 18-10-2019, 03:37 PM

wawman_15 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewawman_15 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewawman_15 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewawman_15 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewawman_15 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewawman_15 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewawman_15 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewawman_15 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewawman_15 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewawman_15 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewawman_15 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
You are correct re. the Fulham goal. My mistake. He did start the move though didn't he?

EDIT I have checked to avoid any more memory fails - and yes, superb cross field pass to start the move that led to the goal but AWB's assist.

I think he also produced one excellent piece of play, winning the ball around the centre circle, driving through wihh power to make a great chance for Wilf who missed. I think I was initially thinking of that as an assist, but that wasn't the chance that was taken.

He made those two great chances against Everton this season too.

It's all just opinions but I think he adds something different for us which I personally prefer to what Sorloth offers. But of course there is no right or wrong.
I do agree with you and if they are on the same wages you’d probably go with Benteke every time.

The issue is that doing tit bits here and there with the odd nice pass/tackle etc isn’t enough for the extremely high cost. On that money you need to be the main man.

On sorloth or Ayew wages you can kinda accept that as contribution.
Old 18-10-2019, 04:07 PM

cockles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcockles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcockles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcockles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcockles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcockles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcockles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcockles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcockles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcockles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcockles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatGonzo View Post
Just as well that was not a fact then!
How would you say Roy Hodgson is getting on this season?
Old 18-10-2019, 04:53 PM

Mr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is hereMr Palace Sam the man is here
Quote:

COYP
Grasping
Old 18-10-2019, 05:52 PM
sleep chaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ View Post
i dont know about all of that. He was given plenty of time and didnt do anything on or off the field. I am all for getting behind players, but his performance showed almost no effort and he offered nothing of note in any game. He appeared to be timid and slow all the time. He may be good enough in the future, but nothing he has shown at Palace is worth remembering.

Really, I thought he did well against Chelsea/Spurs/Everton... he looked a lot faster than CB/CW, and he played out of position. I think he showed enough to suggest we persist with him.
Old 18-10-2019, 05:58 PM
I'm thinking about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroom View Post
Really, I thought he did well against Chelsea/Spurs/Everton... he looked a lot faster than CB/CW, and he played out of position. I think he showed enough to suggest we persist with him.
Would you play him wide as he has suggested he preferred? According to him, he played in his position in those games.

He looked average there but at least worked hard and contributed. Reminded me of Tom Soares there - diligent and with a physical presence but no sign of quality.

As a central striker - which is what we need- he looked absolutely awful and much less effective than Benteke to me.

But we have far better players for the wide role.

Last edited by Eddie McGoldrick's tash; 18-10-2019 at 06:02 PM.
Old 18-10-2019, 06:07 PM

hdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is here
Sorloth caused Chelsea plenty of problems and was very unlucky to have his perfectly good goal wrongly ruled out.

Soon after this encouraging performance he picked up an injury which ruled him out for months.

After he joined Palace due to the difference in the Scandinavian season it took him some time to get himself fit enough to play first team football on a regular basis.