Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

Old 08-02-2019, 02:43 PM
Collecting Palace tat

Dorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by super al View Post
Thanks Dorking - Yeah, I'll be looking to speak to all of the above!
Jim Cannon is usually around the ground on a matchday - he hosts the hospitality parts of the ground. Barely a week goes past when he isn't asked to recall the Fiona Richmond training ground incident in the team bath
"Crystal Palace is cult viewing, like a late night TV show that only a few people know about, like a precious record that was never number one but makes everybody who knows it want to dance and sing… and sometimes cry." Tony, 3-7-2001

"Well, as I said before, we are only 6 points behind 4th from bottom with the prize of an additional £65 million (minimum) if we stay up. So, we'd be bonkers if that wasn't the top priority. Nobody's giving up on staying in this league." CPFC2010, 5-11-2013
Old 08-02-2019, 02:50 PM
Banned by Moderators

sideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by orp pisshead1 View Post
Cheers Kabbott
As you say memory gets patchy as you get older.
I was there that day remember swindlehursrts goal at the holmesdale end great day and Ipswich top side then
Old 08-02-2019, 02:56 PM
Banned by Moderators

sideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsideburns7 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Would be great to see the players aswell,I started going on my own then with mates quite a lot went from caterham
Great days and good luck with it
Old 08-02-2019, 02:59 PM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
Can you get hold of Fiona Richmond?
Old 08-02-2019, 03:13 PM

Bovril Dan is happy as a lark and everything is fineBovril Dan is happy as a lark and everything is fineBovril Dan is happy as a lark and everything is fineBovril Dan is happy as a lark and everything is fineBovril Dan is happy as a lark and everything is fineBovril Dan is happy as a lark and everything is fineBovril Dan is happy as a lark and everything is fineBovril Dan is happy as a lark and everything is fineBovril Dan is happy as a lark and everything is fineBovril Dan is happy as a lark and everything is fineBovril Dan is happy as a lark and everything is fine
Alan Brazil on Talkshite often mentions the Team of the 80`s as he played against them over a couple of seasons. Was probably in the Team that lost 4-1 when we went top.

Could try getting in touch for some soundbites from him.
Old 08-02-2019, 03:29 PM

hdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is herehdeagle Sam the man is here
Palace won 4-1 against Ipswich to go top of Division 1 and then we lost on the following Tuesday 4-1 to Southampton at the Dell where Palace took a lot of fans and even took over their pub right outside their ground

It was indeed a very brief spell as the number one team.

Great memories.
Old 08-02-2019, 03:37 PM

Old Joe Paxton Sam the man is hereOld Joe Paxton Sam the man is hereOld Joe Paxton Sam the man is hereOld Joe Paxton Sam the man is hereOld Joe Paxton Sam the man is hereOld Joe Paxton Sam the man is hereOld Joe Paxton Sam the man is hereOld Joe Paxton Sam the man is hereOld Joe Paxton Sam the man is hereOld Joe Paxton Sam the man is hereOld Joe Paxton Sam the man is here
Great stuff, look forward to it

Will see if i have pics and dig out my memory from somewhere...

My dad worked with Croydon Advertiser and may have some artwork with Venables and others.
Old 08-02-2019, 03:44 PM

stevedb55 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minestevedb55 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minestevedb55 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minestevedb55 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minestevedb55 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minestevedb55 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minestevedb55 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minestevedb55 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minestevedb55 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minestevedb55 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minestevedb55 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Best ever day on the Holmesdale! Such a feeling to take Ipswich apart that day in the manner we did. It looked then as if Palace had really arrived in the big time.....
Old 08-02-2019, 03:47 PM

stevedb55 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minestevedb55 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minestevedb55 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minestevedb55 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minestevedb55 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minestevedb55 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minestevedb55 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minestevedb55 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minestevedb55 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minestevedb55 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minestevedb55 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle View Post
Great days. Fab kit, amazing football and players and Palace going top against Ipswich on my birthday.

Best ever day on the Holmesdale! Such a feeling to take Ipswich apart that day in the manner we did. It looked then as if Palace had really arrived in the big time.....
Old 08-02-2019, 03:47 PM

Tim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTim of the 80's came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
There would be some good stuff in the City documentary - in particular the bit where Malcolm Allison encourages Steve Lovell to "explode".
Old 08-02-2019, 03:49 PM

orp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC EAGLE View Post
To view the link you have to Register or Login
Was the last bit with Vince scoring at the den?.
Thanks for the clip
Old 08-02-2019, 03:52 PM
It's a term of affection

Fatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Aguila View Post
Can you get hold of Fiona Richmond?
At 73 - you may need to get her a walk-in bath.....
Old 08-02-2019, 03:53 PM
It's a term of affection

Fatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is hereFatboy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedb55 View Post
Think that was my second ever game. First being 4-0 win versus Derby ????
Old 08-02-2019, 04:17 PM
Just call me sarge!!

Ardent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archiebald Leitch View Post
Burridge, Hinshelwood, Cannon, Gilbert, Sansom, Hilaire, Kember, Nicholas, Murphy, Swindlehurst, Walsh. Sub: Fenwick.

11 from the Youth team.
Stretching it a bit there. Steve kember was from an earlier youth team. This was the back end of his career. Still a hero of mine.
Don't shoot the messenger, but someone tried telling me in the pub last week that we're close to administration again. I wouldn't have it, but he reckoned he had a 'source' and insisted it was true. I don't believe a word of it, but just hearing the 'a' word is enough to send a shiver down my spine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPFC2010
Ha ha, complete and utter bollocks.
Old 08-02-2019, 04:24 PM
Probationary User

BigMalsPal is happy as a lark and everything is fineBigMalsPal is happy as a lark and everything is fineBigMalsPal is happy as a lark and everything is fineBigMalsPal is happy as a lark and everything is fineBigMalsPal is happy as a lark and everything is fineBigMalsPal is happy as a lark and everything is fineBigMalsPal is happy as a lark and everything is fineBigMalsPal is happy as a lark and everything is fineBigMalsPal is happy as a lark and everything is fineBigMalsPal is happy as a lark and everything is fineBigMalsPal is happy as a lark and everything is fine
Although my very first game was Boxing Day 1967, I didn’t start going regularly until the early 1970’s, hence the “handle”.Big Mal was a major factor in me falling in love with football & CPFC. Remember my older brother getting me out of school and taking me to see Palace play Tooting & Mitcham on a Wednesday afternoon after BM complained about the floodlights. BM was a genius not only on the pitch but off it by rebranding us with the change to The Eagles (pinched from Benfica) and the Red n Blue kit (pinched from Barcelona) which have both stood the test of time and are potentially helpful when attracting new fans in the global PL era. Much more sexy than The Glaziers / rather dull claret & blue. He was light years ahead of most of his generation, aside from Cloughie, of course. Didn’t get to Leeds or Sunderland away games in the ‘76 cup run but did make the 5th round at Chelsea which still ranks as one of my top 5 favourite matches and over 50 years +, I’ve seen a few. The least said about the semi v Southampton, when Taylor was crocked early on by Peach, the better. In summary BM was my boyhood hero and I still have very fond memories of that period to this very day. BM did not get the plaudits he deserved for setting the foundations of the team of the 80’s and Venables owes him a huge debt, as he probably wouldn’t have enjoyed half the success as a manager without him. Just my take on it anyway. I look forward to seeing the documentary. Well done for getting it commissioned!
Old 08-02-2019, 04:34 PM
Just call me sarge!!

Ardent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is here
Big Mal was ultimately responsible for the team of the eighties. My favourite manager alongside Sir Steve. Big Mal put us on the map. The Ipswich game was special and would love to see footage from the game. Jim Cannons goal was incredible. Ipswich corner, four kicks later and it was in the back of Ipswichs goal. Wtf was Jim Cannon doing so far forward. Great memories of the two seasons in division three then two in division Two before promotion into the top flight. I was in the army for much of that time getting to games when I could.
Don't shoot the messenger, but someone tried telling me in the pub last week that we're close to administration again. I wouldn't have it, but he reckoned he had a 'source' and insisted it was true. I don't believe a word of it, but just hearing the 'a' word is enough to send a shiver down my spine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPFC2010
Ha ha, complete and utter bollocks.
Old 08-02-2019, 04:58 PM
Banned by Moderators

Maybe that is the Jim cannon goal almost from the byline
Just a great game
CPFC
Normally headers from big Jim
Old 08-02-2019, 05:22 PM

Bipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is hereBipe Sam the man is here
This is a massively exciting project and I already salivating at the prospect of viewing the end product. Do you have an approximate timescale in mind for getting it on to our screens?

It might be an interesting angle to explore the recollections and memories of players from rival teams who still have a reasonably high media profile. For example I'm thinking about Glenn Hoddle in particular (BT Sport employee) who it was rumoured was so taken with Venables and our young players from the England under 21 set up that he agitated to sign for Palace. Would be fascinating to have his insight about that, and what it was in particular which seemed so alluring. Remember that he was one of the hottest prospects in English football at the time. There may be some other 'big' media names such as Lawrenson (Seaweed rivalry) or the likes of O'Neill, Shilton and Francis at Forest (beat them 1-0 when they were both reigning and imminent European Cup winners) who may have some memories to share.
Old 08-02-2019, 05:35 PM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardent Eagle Forever View Post
Big Mal was ultimately responsible for the team of the eighties. My favourite manager alongside Sir Steve. Big Mal put us on the map. The Ipswich game was special and would love to see footage from the game. Jim Cannons goal was incredible. Ipswich corner, four kicks later and it was in the back of Ipswichs goal. Wtf was Jim Cannon doing so far forward. Great memories of the two seasons in division three then two in division Two before promotion into the top flight. I was in the army for much of that time getting to games when I could.
Unfortunately no footage exists of the Ipswich game as cameramen at LWT were on strike at that time and over on Match of the Day, they showed the Liverpool v Forest game and some Division two clash.

“Supporting Palace has a certain cult value – like pretending that some Peruvian rock band is the best in the world.”
- John Peel
Old 08-02-2019, 05:37 PM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
I always fish this stat out so excuse me for repeating myself, but it’s pretty amazing.

The ‘team of the 80’s’ ages at the start of our promotion winning season in 78/79:

Burridge 26
Hinshelwood 22
Sansom 19
Gilbert 18
Cannon 24
Murphy 18
Nicholas 18
Kember 29
Walsh 19
Swindelhurst 22
Hilaire 18
Fenwick 18

“Supporting Palace has a certain cult value – like pretending that some Peruvian rock band is the best in the world.”
- John Peel