Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Off Topic Ľ Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum

Notices

Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum All things computer, internet, mobile, tablet and video game related.

Old 17-03-2019, 09:48 AM

Isle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is here
Ipad replacement

My ipad has been getting slower and slower with each update so Iím now looking to replace. Iíve seen the new Galaxy 10 that is sooooo far ahead of the iPhone Iím switching on the next upgrade. This has made me think about is there an alternative thatís much better or equal to an ipad but saves a few £. Any pitfalls to avoid?

Member of the Magnificent 16
29th May 2004
Member of the Magnificent 1007
22nd May 2006
Member of the Magnificent 33000
27th May 2013
Member of the Strange Aircraft Clique
16th December 2018
Old 19-03-2019, 07:44 AM
Happy Felix Day!

Adlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle of Wight View Post
My ipad has been getting slower and slower with each update so I’m now looking to replace. I’ve seen the new Galaxy 10 that is sooooo far ahead of the iPhone I’m switching on the next upgrade. This has made me think about is there an alternative that’s much better or equal to an ipad but saves a few £. Any pitfalls to avoid?
Yes. Buying a tablet that is not an iPad. Apple has a 75% market share of the tablet market for good reason. Also there are far far fewer dedicated android tablet apps than there are decideacted iPad apps, so a chunk of the time android tablets run scaled phone apps. Which is really shit.
The Defector looks like no other breaking pitch in the game. It is well-supinated, leaving the right hand of Fernandez at a fastball trajectory before the laws of physics cease to apply and the laws of awesome take over.

Last edited by Adlerhorst; 19-03-2019 at 08:30 AM.
Old 19-03-2019, 08:27 AM
Happy Felix Day!

Adlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is here
Anyhue, new iPad and iPad mini announced yesterday.
The Defector looks like no other breaking pitch in the game. It is well-supinated, leaving the right hand of Fernandez at a fastball trajectory before the laws of physics cease to apply and the laws of awesome take over.
Old 19-03-2019, 10:12 AM

Ridcully has disabled reputation
Get a new iPad Andy, the new ones are fast and cheap
Old 19-03-2019, 10:37 AM
Call me Ishmael

ebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
My ipad has been getting slower and slower with each update so Iím now looking to replace. Iíve seen the new Galaxy 10 that is sooooo far ahead of the iPhone Iím switching on the next upgrade. This has made me think about is there an alternative thatís much better or equal to an ipad but saves a few £. Any pitfalls to avoid?
I'm android for phones and Samsung and a couple of others are far better value than Apple.

But nothing beats the Ipad. Speed, slickness, apps.
Old 21-03-2019, 04:39 AM
Banned by Moderators

Pointsforprizes : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePointsforprizes : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePointsforprizes : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePointsforprizes : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePointsforprizes : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePointsforprizes : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePointsforprizes : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePointsforprizes : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePointsforprizes : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePointsforprizes : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePointsforprizes : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I currently manage over 700 ipads and ipods ( dont ask ) , they are great as long as you are happy doing everything the Apple way,

Android devices outsell Apple devices the world over to a ratio of 4/1 , Apple might have the higher numbers in Rich Capital cities such as London and BKK etc but Android is easily the most used O/S.

All depends on what you want it for , for me there are way better Android tablets and 2/1 in devices that offer better value.

If you enjoy the freedom of being able to install and use millions of apps then android is the way forward , apple only allow legal and approved apps on their store.

I have a ipad air 2, that I use for watching movies on, anything work related is easier to do on my android phone.

I will try and find some bargains that are warranted and for sale in the uk
Old 21-03-2019, 08:33 AM

Isle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridcully View Post
Get a new iPad Andy, the new ones are fast and cheap
Thanks Mark ( and everyone else) itís interesting that if this was about the iPhone it would have had loads of arguments but the ipad ? Nope everyone seems to say itís simply the best. I hope that Apple catches up with the iPhone as my sons galaxy 10 is streaks ahead of the latest iPhone. Itís really surprised me.

29th May 2004
22nd May 2006
27th May 2013
16th December 2018
Old 21-03-2019, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointsforprizes View Post
I currently manage over 700 ipads and ipods ( dont ask ) , they are great as long as you are happy doing everything the Apple way,

Android devices outsell Apple devices the world over to a ratio of 4/1 , Apple might have the higher numbers in Rich Capital cities such as London and BKK etc but Android is easily the most used O/S.

All depends on what you want it for , for me there are way better Android tablets and 2/1 in devices that offer better value.

If you enjoy the freedom of being able to install and use millions of apps then android is the way forward , apple only allow legal and approved apps on their store.

I have a ipad air 2, that I use for watching movies on, anything work related is easier to do on my android phone.

I will try and find some bargains that are warranted and for sale in the uk
I really want to ask now

Thx if you do find any let me know

29th May 2004
22nd May 2006
27th May 2013
16th December 2018
Old 21-03-2019, 08:59 AM

andyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is here
What's the crack with iPads (and iPhones)? Are they designed to slow as time goes on so it encourages you to replace with new?

My family and I still have old iPad 2's dating back about 6/7 years. Of course they are really slow now in operating. I've even tried restoring back to factory settings, but still are like slugs in comparison to what they were when new. It's good enough for my daughter that just watches Youtube on them and I rarely stream on them these days but shopping or researching can be a ball ache.
Old 21-03-2019, 09:27 AM
Call me Ishmael

ebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is here
Apple admitted to doing so deliberately for Iphones and were fined last year IIRC. But then it slipped out that Samsung has been doing the same thing. They claim it is to protect the device when it gets older. But decided to do so secretly.....

But I don't think that has applied to Ipads. Might simply be an aging battery
Old 21-03-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyocpfc View Post
What's the crack with iPads (and iPhones)? Are they designed to slow as time goes on so it encourages you to replace with new?

My family and I still have old iPad 2's dating back about 6/7 years. Of course they are really slow now in operating. I've even tried restoring back to factory settings, but still are like slugs in comparison to what they were when new. It's good enough for my daughter that just watches Youtube on them and I rarely stream on them these days but shopping or researching can be a ball ache.
THIS is exactly my problem. I can download iPlayer or amazon prime movies or even stream them but try and use the internet and zzzzzzzzzz start typing and zzzzzzzz.

29th May 2004
22nd May 2006
27th May 2013
16th December 2018
Old 21-03-2019, 10:14 AM

andyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is here
I wouldn't to a degree, mind buying a new one, but not if it's going to do the same in a couple of years time. TBH, I rarely use mine these days and it's just a toy for the kids. My daughter uses it daily and regularly. I use my iphone to do most searching which is only 18 months old and shopping. I use Firetv and smart tv to do the streaming. Plus, my wifi at home is wank.

I wonder what the OS would be if you NEVER did an update in 5 years time in terms of quickness.
Old 21-03-2019, 10:23 AM

scro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is here
The elephant in the room for iphones is the fact even new they don't have the battery power to be effectively usable. I fully charged my 6s which has a battery at about 80% effectiveness on saturday morning. Read a few articles on my way to watford on the train, checked the train times etc. Did a few checks for the teams and then went to the game. Put my bets on and by the final whistle i was down to about 5%. They are simply not able to handle the uses they are capable of. This area of technology needs improvement so desperately.
Old 21-03-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scro View Post
The elephant in the room for iphones is the fact even new they don't have the battery power to be effectively usable. I fully charged my 6s which has a battery at about 80% effectiveness on saturday morning. Read a few articles on my way to watford on the train, checked the train times etc. Did a few checks for the teams and then went to the game. Put my bets on and by the final whistle i was down to about 5%. They are simply not able to handle the uses they are capable of. This area of technology needs improvement so desperately.
I had the same problem with my iPhone 7 a couple of months ago. It would suddenly drop like a stone and then die. Have you done a battery health check on it, if so what does it say?
Mine was running at 74% efficiency. I went and got a new battery fitted at a phone shop for £30 and resolved my issues. I'm now at 80% life still by the time I go home from work at 5.30pm.

Last edited by andyocpfc; 21-03-2019 at 10:48 AM.
Old 21-03-2019, 10:54 AM
Call me Ishmael

It's almost like they engineer it to have people replace phones every 2 years. But to have a battery that poor on a new phone is a touch unusual.
Old 21-03-2019, 11:09 AM

Selhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is here
The short battery life comes in useful when I want to interact with my kids.
Old 21-03-2019, 07:46 PM

Batteries are good for about 1000 charges after that the drop off is huge. Android and iOS both have safeguards in that slow the phone to preserve battery life and stop them overheating. Changing a battery in an old phone often does wonders.

I have an iPhone X battery can last up to 2 days if I am lucky but and this is the rub it all comes down to how good the signal is. If you are constantly in areas where signal drops the phone will die quicker.

With regards to iPads, keeping with older versions of IOS helps. Every time you upgrade something else will be eating the system resources. Realistically an iPad is a 3-4 year thing. Phones a bit less imho.
Old 21-03-2019, 07:48 PM

Quote:
THIS is exactly my problem. I can download iPlayer or amazon prime movies or even stream them but try and use the internet and zzzzzzzzzz start typing and zzzzzzzz.
Mostly down to the memory these things. New pads have a lot more mem.
Old 21-03-2019, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Thanks Mark ( and everyone else) itís interesting that if this was about the iPhone it would have had loads of arguments but the ipad ? Nope everyone seems to say itís simply the best. I hope that Apple catches up with the iPhone as my sons galaxy 10 is streaks ahead of the latest iPhone. Itís really surprised me.
Havenít used the 10 but was impressed with the 9. For myself an X and itís pretty good but Iíd still say the 9 feels better. Love FaceID tho.
Old 21-03-2019, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridcully View Post
Havenít used the 10 but was impressed with the 9. For myself an X and itís pretty good but Iíd still say the 9 feels better. Love FaceID tho.
Galaxy has that and no notch and power sharing and includes buds and has a headphone jack and has hepatic feedback and has a fixed zoom and takes better pics and is simply a better phone. I have a year for Apple to catch up :-) I hope they do but if it was today I would get the galaxy

Thatís the other thing Apple trick me into upgrading OS and keep on and on about next version available but you canít tyrn the notification off. Then you have to find the small button coz if you hit later it does it automatically during the night

29th May 2004
22nd May 2006
27th May 2013
16th December 2018