Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » The Music Forum

Notices

The Music Forum All things music

Old 17-04-2019, 02:16 PM
Selhurst Heaven

chrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Am Phibian View Post
Three,what? what?

Unknown Pleasures, Closer and Still: the others just compilations and rehashes, no ?
Erm...no

Still is a compilation consisting of previously released and unreleased studio material and a live recording of Joy Division's last concert.
Old 17-04-2019, 02:17 PM
Selhurst Heaven

chrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCoppell View Post
Maybe I just had to be from the era to get it I don't know. Good thing about music it is subjective and at least on this forum you don't get attacked like the others ill give it another listen but I just reckon it won't make a difference.
Fair play. What kind of music do you like ?
Old 17-04-2019, 02:20 PM
Selhurst Heaven

KingCoppell... listen to Transmission, Atmosphere and She’s Lost Control. They may be the obvious ones in some people’s eyes, but they are pretty accessible.

Love Will Tear Us Apart is probably their most “easily accessible” song.
Old 17-04-2019, 02:21 PM
Arse end of Nottingham.

henryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is herehenryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is herehenryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is herehenryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is herehenryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is herehenryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is herehenryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is herehenryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is herehenryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is herehenryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is herehenryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is here
I was 17 when I first saw them. Isolated youth, angry at the world. Not much has changed, to be honest, except I'm an isolated old git, angry at the world. They were as far from crap as I am from the Queen's drains. I gained comfort and respite from their music then as I do now.
Old 17-04-2019, 02:23 PM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
Quote:
Maybe I just had to be from the era to get it I don't know. Good thing about music it is subjective and at least on this forum you don't get attacked like the others ill give it another listen but I just reckon it won't make a difference.
We're pretty civilised on here - even west country boy behaves himself on this forum.
Old 17-04-2019, 02:23 PM

Am Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisophiex View Post
Erm...no

Still is a compilation consisting of previously released and unreleased studio material and a live recording of Joy Division's last concert.
I thought it was mostly made up of the songs that were going to be the intended third album anyway? It was released not long after Ian's death. He had recorded them. I stand to be corrected tho'
Old 17-04-2019, 02:24 PM

KingCoppell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKingCoppell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKingCoppell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKingCoppell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKingCoppell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKingCoppell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKingCoppell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKingCoppell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKingCoppell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKingCoppell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKingCoppell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Fair play. What kind of music do you like ?
I've got a very wide taste depends on mood where I'm going what I'm doing. I'm a house and r and b man on nights out plus I loved 90s hip hop soul motown music Huge fan of pink floyd and the Who. Basically any alternative or prog rock band i can enjoy. As mentioned I think the Cure are great as are ston roses oasis radiohead smiths ect. I think if there's a talent there or a meaning I can appreciate it a lot and enjoy a listen but joy division to me just sound very dull and limited. The writings there but there's no spark for me.
Old 17-04-2019, 02:25 PM
Selhurst Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Aguila View Post
We're pretty civilised on here - even west country boy behaves himself on this forum.

Hmmmm...
Old 17-04-2019, 02:25 PM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
There are rock bands from the same period who I liked and like more - but it's just a matter of taste at that point.
Old 17-04-2019, 02:26 PM
Middle class left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Am Phibian View Post
I thought it was mostly made up of the songs that were going to be the intended third album anyway? It was released not long after Ian's death. He had recorded them. I stand to be corrected tho'
Those tracks had mostly already been released in one format or another - flexi discs, 12" singles and so on.
Old 17-04-2019, 02:29 PM
Middle class left.

Actually i see I'm wrong - it's all outtakes, and a gig.
Old 17-04-2019, 02:30 PM
Selhurst Heaven

Quote:
I've got a very wide taste depends on mood where I'm going what I'm doing. I'm a house and r and b man on nights out plus I loved 90s hip hop soul motown music Huge fan of pink floyd and the Who. Basically any alternative or prog rock band i can enjoy. As mentioned I think the Cure are great as are ston roses oasis radiohead smiths ect. I think if there's a talent there or a meaning I can appreciate it a lot and enjoy a listen but joy division to me just sound very dull and limited. The writings there but there's no spark for me.

Your last couple of sentences pretty much sum up Manchester in the late 70’s, and that was reflected in the music at the time.

There was a very famous concert by the Sex Pistols in Manchester, and legend has it all the key (future) players were at that concert. Most decided on that night to start a band, including Mr Steven Morrissey.

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 17-04-2019, 02:31 PM

Am Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is here
Quote:
KingCoppell... listen to Transmission, Atmosphere and She’s Lost Control. They may be the obvious ones in some people’s eyes, but they are pretty accessible.

Love Will Tear Us Apart is probably their most “easily accessible” song.
You are right about "accessibility" but those popular ones are the lesser tracks imo save for Transmission.

Shadowplay, Dead Souls, Decades and the other 15 or so around that time are of a higher quality imo. Then there are the first six New Order tracks which would've been Joy Division's had IC not done the deed.

One of those bands where the album tracks better the single releases.
Old 17-04-2019, 02:31 PM

KingCoppell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKingCoppell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKingCoppell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKingCoppell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKingCoppell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKingCoppell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKingCoppell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKingCoppell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKingCoppell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKingCoppell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKingCoppell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
To elaborate on my explanation ation I'll use the cure as a comparison because they are quite similar in style I think
Ian Curtis definately had great songwriting ability and was able to translate his pain into music well ill give him that. But the Cure also had Gallup who was a brilliant bassist and the drumming was always on point plus Smith could knock out some groovy/strange tones with his guitar it's all this stuff that I feels missing from the joy divisions tracks.
Old 17-04-2019, 02:33 PM
Naughty but nice

fioreuk came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfioreuk came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfioreuk came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfioreuk came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfioreuk came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfioreuk came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfioreuk came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfioreuk came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfioreuk came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfioreuk came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietfioreuk came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Hennessey won't have heard of them obviously.

CPFC - Top 2 Tiers 1977 to ----

Seasons in the Top Flight - CPFC - 19 BHAFC - 6
Brig**on - Taking it since 1901
Old 17-04-2019, 02:34 PM
Selhurst Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by fioreuk View Post
Hennessey won't have heard of them obviously.

Or New Order
Old 17-04-2019, 02:37 PM
Selhurst Heaven

Quote:
To elaborate on my explanation ation I'll use the cure as a comparison because they are quite similar in style I think
Ian Curtis definately had great songwriting ability and was able to translate his pain into music well ill give him that. But the Cure also had Gallup who was a brilliant bassist and the drumming was always on point plus Smith could knock out some groovy/strange tones with his guitar it's all this stuff that I feels missing from the joy divisions tracks.

Ok. What do you think of New Order ? The bass from Hooky is probably the most beautiful thing in the world

I think if you listen to Technique from New Order you may get a good mix of what you like.
Old 17-04-2019, 02:38 PM
Middle class left.

I don't really rate Curtis as an amazing lyricist. There are odd phrases which reach out, but it's a bit monothematic / one dimensional. It's more the music, for me.
Old 17-04-2019, 02:38 PM

scro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is here
All three excellent but i would put them in the following order.. The smiths, The cure, Joy Division.
Old 17-04-2019, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Ok. What do you think of New Order ? The bass from Hooky is probably the most beautiful thing in the world

I think if you listen to Technique from New Order you may get a good mix of what you like.
I like new orders stuff I feel like with new order it was a band not Ian Curtis with a backing band the whole comes nice together. I dunno about hooky man he's good but he's no Mani. Go on YouTube and watch love spreads isolated bass. Thank me later