Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » The Music Forum

Notices

The Music Forum All things music

Old 17-04-2019, 02:42 PM
43% Burnt

PauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf Boy View Post
Not the sort of music you hear at Smackdown for sure.
Definitely not. But hey, you don't watch the graps for the songs, that's for sure

http://www.last.fm/user/the_paulo
Old 17-04-2019, 02:42 PM

Am Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is here
The Cold War, High Unemployment, dreariness, corrupt and vicious police, hooliganism, The National Front, rain, Thatcher getting in, etc - that was 1979. Luckily we had the Bee gees and Tragedy to express stuff and Jimmy Savile to introduce them. Didn't really need bands like Joy Div.
Old 17-04-2019, 02:47 PM
Selhurst Heaven

chrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCoppell View Post
I like new orders stuff I feel like with new order it was a band not Ian Curtis with a backing band the whole comes nice together. I dunno about hooky man he's good but he's no Mani. Go on YouTube and watch love spreads isolated bass. Thank me later
Love Mani. Saw him play in Hooky’s band Freebass.

The bassists from New Order, Stone Roses and The Smiths....ooof !
Old 17-04-2019, 02:50 PM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
If you want a Manchester bassist from the 70s and 80s, you don't really have to look beyond Steve Hanley.
Old 17-04-2019, 02:51 PM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
And Barry Adamson, come to think of it.
Old 17-04-2019, 02:52 PM
Selhurst Heaven

chrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Aguila View Post
If you want a Manchester bassist from the 70s and 80s, you don't really have to look beyond Steve Hanley.
Yep. Was a big influence on the Freebass members (o-er)
Old 17-04-2019, 03:00 PM

Am Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is here
Quote:
I don't really rate Curtis as an amazing lyricist. There are odd phrases which reach out, but it's a bit monothematic / one dimensional. It's more the music, for me.
Truth be told without Hannett the music wasn't all that. I highly rate Curtis as a wordsmith/lyricist.

Not sure who said it - might have been Sumner - but after his death and on reflection realising that his songs were " a very long suicide note" but just hadn't seen it.
Old 17-04-2019, 03:04 PM
Smudging at Selhurst

smudgerseagles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesmudgerseagles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesmudgerseagles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesmudgerseagles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesmudgerseagles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesmudgerseagles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesmudgerseagles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesmudgerseagles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesmudgerseagles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesmudgerseagles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesmudgerseagles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I was lucky enough to see Joy division 4 times - the first being at the Nashville Rooms which was a pub venue in Kensington, around 1979 I reckon.

They were truly awesome and I remember thinking at the time that I would probably never see anything so special again - they were that mind blowing

I loved the first two albums and who knows what would have happened if Curtis had not departed before his time. I saw New Order at their first UK gig at Heaven and they were fragile and nervous and I wanted to love them but it was never the same.

So much music talent came from the Manchester region around that time - RIP Pete Shelley
Old 17-04-2019, 03:06 PM

Where else Smudger did you see them you lucky so and so?
Old 17-04-2019, 03:20 PM
Smudging at Selhurst

smudgerseagles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesmudgerseagles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesmudgerseagles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesmudgerseagles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesmudgerseagles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesmudgerseagles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesmudgerseagles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesmudgerseagles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesmudgerseagles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesmudgerseagles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesmudgerseagles : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Am Phibian View Post
Where else Smudger did you see them you lucky so and so?
two nights on the bounce at the Hammersmith Rainbow supporting the Buzzcocks

Then at the Lyceum supported by Killing Joke I seem to recall

Happy days
Old 17-04-2019, 03:29 PM
Doing nothing is a choice

firesign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is herefiresign Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Am Phibian View Post
If you don't think Joy Division after listening to their original three albums are anything but superb/brilliant then you should have your ears sewn up and be banned from listening to any music for 24hours. And if then you still haven't reformed off to a penal colony with you for decades as a means to an end.
This.
Old 17-04-2019, 03:52 PM

rhiannapaul came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrhiannapaul came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrhiannapaul came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrhiannapaul came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrhiannapaul came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrhiannapaul came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrhiannapaul came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrhiannapaul came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrhiannapaul came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrhiannapaul came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrhiannapaul came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Better live the first studio album
Doesn't get the energy accross
Old 17-04-2019, 04:09 PM

scro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgerseagles View Post
I was lucky enough to see Joy division 4 times - the first being at the Nashville Rooms which was a pub venue in Kensington, around 1979 I reckon.

They were truly awesome and I remember thinking at the time that I would probably never see anything so special again - they were that mind blowing

I loved the first two albums and who knows what would have happened if Curtis had not departed before his time. I saw New Order at their first UK gig at Heaven and they were fragile and nervous and I wanted to love them but it was never the same.

So much music talent came from the Manchester region around that time - RIP Pete Shelley
I actually prefer new order to joy division (prepares for a slating).
Old 17-04-2019, 04:19 PM
Middle class left.

Quote:

Happy days
The Rainbow was at Finsbury park - I was there on the Saturday.
They were special live, which in turn undermines the point about Hannett, I think. Though I do love his production on those records, most of the tricks are pinched off Lee Perry and Bovell.
Old 17-04-2019, 04:36 PM
Smudging at Selhurst

Quote:
The Rainbow was at Finsbury park - I was there on the Saturday.
They were special live, which in turn undermines the point about Hannett, I think. Though I do love his production on those records, most of the tricks are pinched off Lee Perry and Bovell.
Yes of course Finsbury Park you are correct

I think it was a Friday and Saturday and I loved both nights - I seem to remember they played two different sets which was a very pleasant surprise
Old 17-04-2019, 04:44 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Stellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is here
Quote:

Happy days
I was at both of those (Rainbow), and the same tour with Buzzcocks at Guildford Civic.
Also saw them at the Tottenham Court Road YMCA with The Bunnymen.

That Lyceum gig was a co-headliner, with Section 25 and A Certain Ratio supporting, from memory. I've still got the ticket somewhere.....

Anyone doubting the brilliance and importance of Joy Division is a f*cking plum.
Old 17-04-2019, 05:12 PM
Smudging at Selhurst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellavista View Post
I was at both of those (Rainbow), and the same tour with Buzzcocks at Guildford Civic.
Also saw them at the Tottenham Court Road YMCA with The Bunnymen.

That Lyceum gig was a co-headliner, with Section 25 and A Certain Ratio supporting, from memory. I've still got the ticket somewhere.....

Anyone doubting the brilliance and importance of Joy Division is a f*cking plum.
If you still have any ticket stubs from around that time then they are worth looking after - have seem some very silly prices for some, unfortunately I binned all mine

I only kept a few flyers which I have in a box somewhere including a few from the Croydon Greyhound around 77/78 which make interesting reading now
Old 17-04-2019, 05:35 PM
Woah Woah Woah

gilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is here
Old 17-04-2019, 05:35 PM
Woah Woah Woah

gilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is here
Wasn’t a particular fan, then came across ‘Control’ being shown on TV one evening. Fantastic film (would highly recommend it) & I was obsessed for a while after - both by Joy Division & the whole Manchester/Factory Records scene. I can understand why they’re a bit marmite & how you’d have to be in a certain mood to listen to them, but they were pioneers at the time. Peter Hook’s baselines are a joy to behold.
Old 17-04-2019, 06:18 PM

Touching From a Distance is well worth a read. Written by Ian's wife. Good insight.