Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic The Music Forum

Notices

The Music Forum All things music

Old 17-04-2019, 04:30 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Stellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is here
The Sound (Adrian Borland)

It will be 20 years next week since Adrian took his own life at Wimbledon tube station.
One of the most underrated and criminally ignored bands this country has ever produced. I saw them many, many times, got to support them on a Dutch tour in 1981, and had the pleasure of getting to know the man a little in the late 80's.

Still one of the best live bands I've ever seen. Enjoy.

Old 17-04-2019, 07:20 PM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
They were a cult sort of band. I remember their first records and they were as “likely to” as the Bunnymen or U2, it seemed. Not sure they wanted that, though - but I lost track of them after that. The Comsat Angels had that about them, as well. They weren’t really prolific, were they?
Old 17-04-2019, 08:27 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Stellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is here
I think they wiped the floor with the Comsats. Prolific? Several albums. They were on Korova. I've always maintained that they might have been huge with a pretty boy frontman like McCulloch or Cope. And I'm not sure Adrian was easy to deal with, suffering from serious mental health issues, which preceded his very tragic end. Very talented man, though.

Last edited by Stellavista; 17-04-2019 at 11:18 PM.
Old 06-05-2019, 06:03 PM
SC's wet dream

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
Like that.

Had a look on Spotify and they have several albums...I will be immersing myself in this.

The BBS - Where Brighton Neggers have imaginary lawyers.
Old 07-05-2019, 07:57 AM
Pills wont help you now

Davy64 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavy64 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavy64 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavy64 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavy64 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavy64 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavy64 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavy64 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavy64 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavy64 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDavy64 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellavista View Post
It will be 20 years next week since Adrian took his own life at Wimbledon tube station.
One of the most underrated and criminally ignored bands this country has ever produced. I saw them many, many times, got to support them on a Dutch tour in 1981, and had the pleasure of getting to know the man a little in the late 80's.

Still one of the best live bands I've ever seen. Enjoy.

very good

'What a divergence from that playoff shambles. Palace beating the Premier League Title Holders, whilst we lose 1-0 at Rotherham FFS. What a gulf.' from NSC 6/4/15
Old 07-05-2019, 10:10 AM
SC's wet dream

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
Bloody hell,this stuff is great...why have I never heard of them before?

Old 07-05-2019, 02:00 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle View Post
Bloody hell,this stuff is great...why have I never heard of them before?
Really pleased you like them, ME.
It's a mystery to many. Not having a very marketable image hampered them really. Adrian was a hypnotic front man, but there's no way they could mould him into a 'pop star'. They had a huge following in continental Europe, selling well in places like Holland and Spain, and I never attended a gig of their's in the UK that wasn't rammed.
The live album, 'In the Hothouse', is a fair representation of their live power, and I was lucky enough to attend on the two nights it was recorded at the Marquee. I've never left gigs so sweaty, but so elated.
Though I'd supported them in Holland in the early 80s, I didn't get to know Adrian until much later, when we had discussions about him producing an album for me. We met up a few times at ULU and at a pub, the name of which escapes me, on Charing Cross Road. It didn't come to anything - I'd judged that Adrian was too fragile to put up with us in the studio for a month. I regret it now.
Sadly, only the rhythm unit survive - Max, the keyboard player, died from an Aids-related illness on Boxing Day 1993.

Try this one from the live album...

It's one of the few modern rock songs that can bring me to tears.

The Sound were what they were - genuine, heartfelt, tragic and full of humour as well. Most of us who have worked in music can end up feeling we deserved a bigger audience, or a bit more luck. This truly is the case for The Sound. And looking at the number of hits on their YouTube offerings, it's good to see people are still discovering them.
Old 07-05-2019, 03:21 PM
SC's wet dream

The live album is on Spotify, I will give that a listen.

Old 07-05-2019, 04:06 PM
The Bringer of Joy

OK. Last one from me on this thread. A special song for so many reasons.