Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Off Topic Ľ The Music Forum

Notices

The Music Forum All things music

Old 17-04-2019, 10:28 PM
AKA Barrington Linguine

Location: In the pleasure dromes and ersatz bodega bars of the free world
Smoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is here
Bands you should like, but donít

Inspired by the Joy Division thread, which are the bands that you feel that you really should like, but donít?

These would be bands that everyone that you know who has similar music tastes to you loves. Bands that are referred to as being influential by artists you love. Bands where you find you love all the other artists associated with them but you just donít see the attraction.

There are no enemies to be made here, if you donít get the appeal then they are just not for you.

Along with the aforementioned Joy Division I will confess that although I should like them, I have never understood why Roxy Music are so critically acclaimed.
Old 17-04-2019, 10:32 PM

Am Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is here
The Clash, The Clash and The Clash.

Much ado about nothing.
Old 17-04-2019, 10:36 PM
jft39

west country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Am Phibian View Post
The Clash, The Clash and The Clash.

Much ado about nothing.
^ them. And Nirvana (the mopey American lot rather than the psyche-band who were OK).

edit - I think there was a similar thread on here a while ago, but less polite, and I mentioned Jeff Buckley who I think was a load of old plop
Old 17-04-2019, 10:37 PM

ExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is here
Another one for Joy Division plus The Fall.

The Smiths are another. I have never got despite so many people thinking they are just unbelievable.

These are all Manc bands but it aint an anti Manc thing as I lived in Manchester for a while and loved the place.

I would also add Bob Marley to my list.
Old 17-04-2019, 10:39 PM

ExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is here
WCB and Am Phibian can go **** themselves.

Sorry Smoz 'no enemies to be made here' ended with posts 2 and 3
Old 17-04-2019, 10:41 PM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
BB King and Nick Cave, as mentioned elsewhere, Tom Waits and Leonard Cohen.
Old 17-04-2019, 10:43 PM
AKA Barrington Linguine

Smoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExiledStirling View Post
WCB and Am Phibian can go **** themselves.

Sorry Smoz 'no enemies to be made here' ended with posts 2 and 3
I loved the Clash when I was ten years old, still love them now I am in my fifties. No enemies to be made on this thread (but certain peopleís names might be noted for future reference).
Old 17-04-2019, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoz View Post
I loved the Clash when I was ten years old, still love them now I am in my fifties. No enemies to be made on this thread (but certain peopleís names might be noted for future reference).
That'll teach Am Phibian and WCB.
Old 17-04-2019, 10:49 PM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
Also anything reminiscent of British or Irish folk music, and yeah I know Richard Thomson’s a great guitarist, plus Traffic, Van Morrison and the Zonbies.
On the other hand I love Roxy Music, not wisely, but too well.
Old 17-04-2019, 10:51 PM
AKA Barrington Linguine

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Aguila View Post
BB King and Nick Cave, as mentioned elsewhere, Tom Waits and Leonard Cohen.
About ten years ago I was sitting in the Dog and Bull in Surrey Street, Croydon, it was a midweek evening in the middle of January and the bar was pretty quiet. The conversation turned to artists you would love to see play live but never had. I said that although I thought it highly unlikely that either would play live again I would pay fairly big money to see either a Tom Waits or Leonard Cohen gig, as they hadnít played for years. By the end of that year I had seen both of them and I would say that they were amongst the best live performances I had ever seen.
Old 17-04-2019, 10:52 PM
jft39

west country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExiledStirling View Post
That'll teach Am Phibian and WCB.
You only like the Clash because you are in thrall to toffs like Strummer, El Ag and Hinge & Bracket.
Old 17-04-2019, 10:53 PM
Middle class left.

I would sell my firstborn to see Roxy Music, see.
Old 17-04-2019, 10:56 PM
jft39

Quote:
Also anything reminiscent of British or Irish folk music...
That excludes American country music (and a lot of early "race" records, as DM would call them).
Quote:
...and the Zombies.
Blimey. Even George Clinton was a fan of "She's Not There", although he thought it was a Kinks record.
Old 17-04-2019, 10:57 PM
Middle class left.

Country gets a pass. I mean the twiddly didfly shit like Fairport Convention and the Pogues.
Old 17-04-2019, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west country boy View Post
You only like the Clash because you are in thrall to toffs like Strummer, El Ag and Hinge & Bracket.
Don't you dare question the public school educated, son of a diplomat Strummers street cred.
Old 17-04-2019, 11:00 PM
AKA Barrington Linguine

The Jam, also Paul Weller solo, I don’t mind the Style Council though. This is the wrong way round as I normally like shouty, ranty punky stuff but I am less of a fan of blue eyed soul but for me the SC were the best years of his career, none of his solo stuff does it for me.
Old 17-04-2019, 11:01 PM
Middle class left.

JuliŠn Cope gets right on my tits, as well. Though we share many musical interests and other hobbies.
Old 17-04-2019, 11:01 PM
Shake it Baby

LLCOOLSTEVE Sam the man is hereLLCOOLSTEVE Sam the man is hereLLCOOLSTEVE Sam the man is hereLLCOOLSTEVE Sam the man is hereLLCOOLSTEVE Sam the man is hereLLCOOLSTEVE Sam the man is hereLLCOOLSTEVE Sam the man is hereLLCOOLSTEVE Sam the man is hereLLCOOLSTEVE Sam the man is hereLLCOOLSTEVE Sam the man is hereLLCOOLSTEVE Sam the man is here
Take That
Old 17-04-2019, 11:06 PM
Middle class left.

A lot of that “Pebbles” stuff leaves me cold as well. Exceptions made for the Seeds and the Elevators, most of the rest just not as good as what was in the charts at the time. Even the US charts.
Old 17-04-2019, 11:07 PM
jft39

Quote:
JuliŠn Cope gets right on my tits, as well. Though we share many musical interests and other hobbies.
Stone circles and living down the road from my dear old mum? (Also, I'm not sure he uses the accent in his first name but I would put nothing past a scouser.)