Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » The Music Forum

Notices

The Music Forum All things music

Old 17-04-2019, 11:47 PM
jft39

west country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Aguila View Post
Really? He’s a bit of an acquired taste, I guess. How about Leadbelly?
I think Lead Belly was smashing. Dunno what it is about Johnson. Could be the quality of the recordings, but I love the likes of Washington Phillips and Henry Thomas (not the one off of E.T.), and their records sound ruddy awful.
Old 17-04-2019, 11:51 PM

ExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellavista View Post
No we f*cking didn't. Those that were about 12 when punk hit probably did, but most of us knew they were fake. As were the Police. And Stranglers. Older bands with a bit of front who slightly altered their image/output to fit in.
I was 17

However let us not lump in the excellent Stranglers with The Boomtown Rats please.

The Stranglers, however ancient, deserved to be considered New Wave and also unlike The Boomtown Rats were very good.

The Police contained Sting so need no further comment.
Old 17-04-2019, 11:52 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Stellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is here
Quote:
The Stranglers, there’s another one. Quite like the whimsical smacky stuff, if it comes on the wireless, though.
I first came across them in the back room of a pub in Redhill, in the mid-Seventies, still trading as The Guildford Stranglers. 20p to get in. Met them many years later at Moles in Bath. Decent blokes, but I always got the impression Cornwall may have been a posh boy.
Old 17-04-2019, 11:52 PM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
I can take or leave Ray Charles, to be honest.
Old 17-04-2019, 11:53 PM
jft39

west country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Even his country stuff?
Old 17-04-2019, 11:54 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Stellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is here
Quote:
Same here. And Little Richard. And Chuck Berry.
Old 17-04-2019, 11:55 PM
AKA Barrington Linguine

Location: In the pleasure dromes and ersatz bodega bars of the free world
Smoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExiledStirling View Post

The Police contained Sting so need no further comment.
The Police don't belong in this thread, there is no reason that anyone should like them.
Old 17-04-2019, 11:56 PM

adrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is here
Quote:
No we f*cking didn't. Those that were about 12 when punk hit probably did, but most of us knew they were fake. As were the Police. And Stranglers. Older bands with a bit of front who slightly altered their image/output to fit in.
Stranglers were good. Golden Brown is top quality opioid. Remember Juke box jury analysing it and thinking they are missing the point. Bit like my English literature teacher and wordsworth.

But can't stand Police and that whiney Geordie ****, an englishman in New York makes me want a to vomit
Old 17-04-2019, 11:57 PM
The Bringer of Joy

And we're getting away from the main thrust of this thread, which is, did EA have a chauffeur?
Old 17-04-2019, 11:59 PM
jft39

Quote:
...And Little Richard. And Chuck Berry.
Good lord. You have spent too long in your Belsize Park mansion.

ExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is here
Quote:
I first came across them in the back room of a pub in Redhill, in the mid-Seventies, still trading as The Guildford Stranglers. 20p to get in. Met them many years later at Moles in Bath. Decent blokes, but I always got the impression Cornwall may have been a posh boy.
Cornwell had/has an air about him that made Strummer look like a council estate chav in comparison.

Which I think would have pleased man of the people Strummer no end.
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by west country boy View Post
Even his country stuff?
I haven’t gone that deep. I shall, one day.
Old 18-04-2019, 12:00 AM
Middle class left.

Quote:
This appalls me.
Old 18-04-2019, 12:01 AM
The Bringer of Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by west country boy View Post
Good lord. You have spent too long in your Belsize Park mansion.
In truth, I'm just not that inclined to bluesy stuff. I know it's all rooted there, but it just doesn't move me.
Old 18-04-2019, 12:02 AM
The Bringer of Joy

Quote:
This appalls me.
My work here is done.
Old 18-04-2019, 12:04 AM
jft39

Quote:
In truth, I'm just not that inclined to bluesy stuff. I know it's all rooted there, but it just doesn't move me.
I know opinions are like arseholes &c. but I can't imagine not enjoying platters like "Lucille" or "Brown Eyed Handsome Man" or "Maybellene" or "Tutti Frutti".
Old 18-04-2019, 12:06 AM
Middle class left.

Quote:
But what about the pop thrill of those Little Richard singles? All those great Berry lyrics?
Old 18-04-2019, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenalin john View Post
But can't stand Police and that whiney Geordie ****, an englishman in New York makes me want a to vomit
Saw him at St James Park last year when we played Newcastle, he is no longer a Geordie ****, he is now an old wrinkly Geordie ****.
Old 18-04-2019, 12:17 AM
AKA Barrington Linguine

Location: In the pleasure dromes and ersatz bodega bars of the free world
Smoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is hereSmoz Sam the man is here
Quote:

The visceral thrill of their best known songs are what rock and roll is all about. I get that you don't get it, that's what this thread is all about, but JFC.
Old 18-04-2019, 01:07 AM
By hand or by Bannan

Excowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is hereExcowboy Sam the man is here
Sufjan Stevens and Devendra Banhart. Mainly because I find the way people say their names so irritating I've never actually bothered to listen to them.

Werner Herzog