Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 05-06-2019, 09:13 AM
Borderline lunacy

stevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is here
Give It Back: new campaign asking for support for disabled children

I know from various threads and posts that there are a sizeable number of BBSers who are parents of disabled children. I hope, therefore, people won't mind if I encourage you to sign up to support a new campaign from the Disabled Children's Partnership and The Sun.

This is the powerful campaign video

You can read more about the campaign To view the link you have to Register or Login or on To view the link you have to Register or Login

And, most importantly, you can sign up to support the campaign To view the link you have to Register or Login. It only takes a few seconds.

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact charity, who support families with disabled children.

Read more about it here https://cyclingtheseason.wordpress.com

And read more about Contact here www.contact.org.uk
Old 05-06-2019, 09:31 AM

ExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is here
The video made me moist eyed.

I have signed and shared on FB.

Here is something I never thought I would write but 'Well done to The Sun'
Old 05-06-2019, 09:35 AM

switchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExiledStirling View Post

They backed Cameron and May in the elections and are now campaigning to end cuts they supported
"Every time a new player comes to the club I always try to make them understand what it means to play for Crystal Palace. It's a place unlike other clubs, the fans they're just incredible and I want them to understand that. It's part of my job as a senior player to make sure they know what it is and the passion behind it." - Speroni
Old 05-06-2019, 09:40 AM

ExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchboard View Post
They backed Cameron and May in the elections and are now campaigning to end cuts they supported
True and a very valid point but probably best leave that type of thinking to another thread and keep this positive and about helping those who are vulnerable and those that have to support them.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:42 AM
Borderline lunacy

stevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is here
Quote:
The video made me moist eyed.

I have signed and shared on FB.

Thanks, Cary.

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact charity, who support families with disabled children.

Old 05-06-2019, 06:00 PM
Borderline lunacy

Bump

Old 05-06-2019, 06:12 PM
O Captain! My Captain!

Pub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is here
Done.
Old 05-06-2019, 06:35 PM
Borderline lunacy

Thanks

Old 05-06-2019, 06:35 PM

andyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is here
Done too
Old 05-06-2019, 08:00 PM
Borderline lunacy

Old 05-06-2019, 08:47 PM
Sing now, godess.

wedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is herewedgetail Sam the man is here
Quote:
True and a very valid point but probably best leave that type of thinking to another thread and keep this positive and about helping those who are vulnerable and those that have to support them.
I have a disabled adult son and I all I can say that I can't believe that anyone could support the Sun in any way.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:05 PM
Borderline lunacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedgetail View Post
I have a disabled adult son and I all I can say that I can't believe that anyone could support the Sun in any way.
In developing this campaign, we did understand that some people would object to a partnership with The Sun. However, in the end, The Sun is the largest circulation paper in the country and therefore will help us get to the most people we can. And they are very committed to promoting and supporting the campaign.

Old 05-06-2019, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedgetail View Post
Surely this is about who The Sun are supporting not who is supporting The Sun?

It would be a real shame if this worthy campaign does not get the level of support it deserves because it is The Sun that is championing it.

btw All the best with your son.
Old 06-06-2019, 04:57 AM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Well done Steve. Signed.

Being the parent of a disabled child is probably one of the most difficult things a person can encounter in life, so it is only right our Government would support these families with every resource available...you would think.

I’ve worked for 15 years in an additional needs school with children with all kinds of conditions, and by nature of the job, you get very close to the parents. I knew they had it tough, but I can honestly say that until my daughter came along, who unfortunately has physical and learning difficulties too, I never truely appreciated how bloody hard it was to be a special needs parent.

‘Hard’ doesn’t actually cover it. ‘Hard’ is bringing up typically developing children. This just feels like a daily war. It’s all consuming. Actually read once some psychologist claim that in terms of stress levels, being a parent of a child with additional needs (predominantly talking about autism), is akin to the stress levels of a soldier in combat.

I’ve talked to Exiled Stirling a few times about starting up a thread on here about the subject knowing there were a few BBSers in our position - almost like a help group like the depression thread - but kept putting it off. Think deep down I’m a bit embarrassed about talking honestly on here about something that is so emotionally difficult.

Maybe this could be the thread.

I hope the campaign gets the support it thoroughly deserves. The Sun thing doesn’t matter. I would walk around for life with a tattoo on my forehead saying, ‘I love Brighton and Margaret Thatcher’, if somehow it made my daughter’s quality of life better.

“Supporting Palace has a certain cult value – like pretending that some Peruvian rock band is the best in the world.”
- John Peel
Old 06-06-2019, 05:40 AM
Borderline lunacy

Cheers, Bubbs.

Old 06-06-2019, 06:22 AM

BERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is here
Great cause, signed.
Old 06-06-2019, 06:30 AM
Policy advisor to God

Skintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Signed, in the overall scheme of things £400mil isn't that much.

Ooh, they sent me an email.
Old 06-06-2019, 07:55 AM
Borderline lunacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skintagain View Post
Signed, in the overall scheme of things £400mil isn't that much.

Ooh, they sent me an email.
Thanks to you and Bert's Head. £400million is about 0.05% of total public expenditure. It would probably be saved simply by sacking Chris Grayling.

(And 'they'='me'!)

Last edited by stevek; 06-06-2019 at 07:57 AM.
Old 06-06-2019, 01:31 PM

adrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is here
We were very fortunate to find a great school for our son, its genuinely well resourced and brilliantly run & staffed - as you know Steve.

We didn't really need day to day support but what we prized was respite care so that we could go away, or go out. After 2 years of waiting apparently our application had been 'lost', in the end I complained and we received 20 nights a year which was great.

Then suddenly after about the 5th annual review it was taken away. Bear in mind the previous year they said we should get more nights because it was good for us as a family and good for him as helped in building independence as he gets older but that they probably couldn't afford it.

However, because it was a statutory right they couldn't just take it away that had to invent a reason so apparently his permanent condition had changed and it was for his benefit that it was taken away.

I was furious.

What had clearly happened is the department had been told 'we have to cut down provision to x' go and make it happen.

And you know what if the social worker had said look guys, you have a good home and good school for your boy, plus you aren't struggling financially I am really sorry but we have to make drastic cuts. You know what central government has done to council budgets and there are families in much more difficult circumstances to you - would you take a cut to help them, knowing what some other parents were going through we would have said you know what, it is a blow, but you are right others are in more dire need than us. I was a school governor at a special needs school at the time and I knew just how hard some parents had it and how challenging some kids were.

However to blatantly lie to our faces in the way they did just made me furious. I am still angry now remembering their lies and obfuscation.

On a perhaps surprising note, I am happy to report as soon as he turned 18 adult services have been brilliant and he is now in assisted living, doing really well and receiving his own benefits that meet his needs.
Old 06-06-2019, 02:28 PM

adrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is hereadrenalin john Sam the man is here
I am not sure if this is the correct place to posit this. And Steve if you think not I am happy to delete.

But one thing I believe needs discussing is the amount of disabled children coming down the line. The reason being so many extremely premature babies are now surviving but surviving with complex needs, needs that will have to be met for decades.

Are parents able to really comprehend their future? Is society prepared to devote large amount of human and capital resources to maintaining life?

I don't know the answers and am suspicious of my own unformed opinion but I think the subject just like maintaining life in the terminally ill and the right to assisted suicide needs discussing.