Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum

Notices

Computers, Gaming and Mobile Forum All things computer, internet, mobile, tablet and video game related.

Old 11-07-2019, 08:04 AM

switchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is here
Excel Help

I usually use google for most excel problems but I am having trouble with the terminology to find the solution

I essentially want everything one person spends calculated each month

A1 B1
Adam 15
Matthew 16
Adam 8
John 12
Adam 60

How can I get it to calculate on a table what each is spending as in input it each time for a front page tab table?

Adam 83
Matthew 16
John 12

Or if you can help me with the correct terminology so I can use google to find the solution as I am sure it is pretty simple.
"Every time a new player comes to the club I always try to make them understand what it means to play for Crystal Palace. It's a place unlike other clubs, the fans they're just incredible and I want them to understand that. It's part of my job as a senior player to make sure they know what it is and the passion behind it." - Speroni
Old 11-07-2019, 08:14 AM
Captain Brugge

Poosence came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPoosence came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPoosence came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPoosence came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPoosence came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPoosence came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPoosence came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPoosence came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPoosence came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPoosence came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPoosence came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Pivot table will be your easiest bet
100% CPFC.

Malarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is here
SUMIF

Cake and Eat It came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCake and Eat It came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCake and Eat It came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCake and Eat It came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCake and Eat It came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCake and Eat It came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCake and Eat It came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCake and Eat It came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCake and Eat It came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCake and Eat It came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCake and Eat It came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Sumifs is what you're looking for
Old 11-07-2019, 08:16 AM

Cake and Eat It came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCake and Eat It came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCake and Eat It came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCake and Eat It came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCake and Eat It came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCake and Eat It came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCake and Eat It came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCake and Eat It came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCake and Eat It came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCake and Eat It came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCake and Eat It came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
=sumif($B$1:B,$A$1:$A,"Adam")

Should do the trick
Old 11-07-2019, 08:49 AM

switchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is here
Thanks all, it looks perfect!
"Every time a new player comes to the club I always try to make them understand what it means to play for Crystal Palace. It's a place unlike other clubs, the fans they're just incredible and I want them to understand that. It's part of my job as a senior player to make sure they know what it is and the passion behind it." - Speroni
Old 11-07-2019, 03:33 PM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
I'd keep an eye on that Adam guy... looks like he is on the fiddle.

Looks like you have your answer, but a Pivot table might be more automated and cleaner when adding to than the SUMIF way.

Disclaimer: I'm a bit rusty with Excel having retired 18 months ago.
Old 11-07-2019, 03:43 PM
Watching Paint Dry

WorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is here
The amount of time wasted at my old company through a lack of basic Excel training was astonishing. Even after training people would continue doing things the long-winded way.

My favourite was a middle-manager who would get an e-mail monthly with a pretty large table of figures. He'd then print that out, type the figures into a spreadsheet, and then in order to summarise them, manually add them up on a calculator and type that in to a different tab. So a 5-minute job ended up taking a couple of days' management salary. Of course they're not really interested if you point that out and give them a macro to do it because that would highlight to upper management that they don't actually do anything.
Old 11-07-2019, 03:57 PM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorthingEagle View Post
The amount of time wasted at my old company through a lack of basic Excel training was astonishing. Even after training people would continue doing things the long-winded way.

My favourite was a middle-manager who would get an e-mail monthly with a pretty large table of figures. He'd then print that out, type the figures into a spreadsheet, and then in order to summarise them, manually add them up on a calculator and type that in to a different tab. So a 5-minute job ended up taking a couple of days' management salary. Of course they're not really interested if you point that out and give them a macro to do it because that would highlight to upper management that they don't actually do anything.
I've experienced this scenario in the past also. I'm no shakes at Excel, but often was tasked with creating spreadsheets for management.

More often than not, I would end up going to the young folks for advice when I became stuck, but I do have to say, I have never met one person that had not said they were always leaning something new all the time... there really are so many ways to kill a cat on Excel. It really is impossible for one person to be a know all expert.

Our IT department were basically no better at Excel than many of the rank and file, and really were no help when it came to technical support.

The flip side is, when a spreadsheet has to have multiple users that do data entry, simple is always better. We had one that was always getting tweaked by "experts" that got to where if there was a problem no one could figure it out if that person was out or left the company.

Bottom line is it's a ******* amazing tool!
Old 16-07-2019, 01:28 PM

swanleyeagle86 was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldswanleyeagle86 was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldswanleyeagle86 was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldswanleyeagle86 was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldswanleyeagle86 was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldswanleyeagle86 was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldswanleyeagle86 was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldswanleyeagle86 was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldswanleyeagle86 was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldswanleyeagle86 was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldswanleyeagle86 was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the world
I think your definition of Technical Support here is a bit off. Im an IT Manager of 15 years experience. I always say to my Users/Clients If excel isn't working I can fix it, but if it is working but you can't work it, then don't come to me to fix something that isn't broke. Then I refer them to Youtube. There is a big difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
Our IT department were basically no better at Excel than many of the rank and file, and really were no help when it came to technical support.