Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Other Sport World of Sport

Notices

World of Sport Discuss all other sport. Includes betting and gambling threads.

Old 18-07-2019, 09:42 AM

eaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is here
Day 4 at the Oval but will be spending the whole day booing the cheats.

Lets hope they don't cheat this time
Old 18-07-2019, 09:43 AM

Selhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selhurst Celtic View Post
What's more important to your average engerland cricket fan; the world cup or the ashes?

Genuine question.
Interesting answers to this question so far. I assumed that you'd all still be on a high & say the world cup. Everyone has pretty much said the ashes though. Would it have been different if I posed the same question before the world cup?
Old 18-07-2019, 09:45 AM

eaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is here
Quote:
Interesting answers to this question so far. I assumed that you'd all still be on a high & say the world cup. Everyone has pretty much said the ashes though. Would it have been different if I posed the same question before the world cup?
separate things for me. Never for one moment ever ever thought one of my teams would actually win a trophy.
Old 18-07-2019, 10:07 AM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
Quote:
The 'pig carrying' dig was the funniest line from that other post, dear Timbo.

I assume that the Irish team will aim for Morgan's head when he's in bat, or is it not like that?
He's unlikely to play, isn't he? But either way, you have to think that most of the Irish will be on their best behaviour, in the hope of one day stepping up to the full England team.
Old 18-07-2019, 10:19 AM

Selhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Aguila View Post
you have to think that most of the Irish will be on their best behaviour, in the hope of one day stepping up to the full England team.
Old 18-07-2019, 10:58 AM

aj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is here
The aussies bowling looks their strength, with Cummins, Starc, Hazelwood, Richardson and Lyon.

That said, they will have some new faces within their batting line up, similar to us.

Smith and Warner naturally will return, with Paine no doubt keeping the gloves as captain (faces serious pressure from Wade and potentially Carey now too).

The rest is all a bit up in the air. Labuschagne has scored county runs and been over her for a while. Khawaja has been tried plenty as have Burns and Harris, along with Head too (did score a good ton against the lions). Add into the mix Mitch Marsh as an all rounder too.

As for England, I guess the 1-2-3 spots seem up in the air but would be surprised if it wasnt Burns-Roy-Denly-Root. The only issue with this is it means it's almost impossible to get Foakes, Buttler and Bairstow in the team and also limits us down to using Stokes as a 4th seamer. Bairstow in the top 3 with Buttler 7 and Foakes 8 is an option.

There are also question marks about who will play as our spinner, I would presume Ali at 8 to add to batting though I would go for Rashid, with Denly also bowling then there is one seamers spot left. For me it would be Sam Curran. Does mean that our attack could seem unbalanced with lots of overs needed from Stokes which I know we are generally wary off.

Burns-Roy-Denly-Root-Bairstow-Stokes-Buttler-Curran-Ali-Broad-Anderson is what I would say that team would be though personally I would go for:

Denly-Roy-Bairstow-Root-Stokes-Buttler-Curran-Ali-Wood-Broad-Anderson

Not even mentioned Archer

Last edited by aj4england; 18-07-2019 at 11:01 AM.
Old 18-07-2019, 11:00 AM

Olympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is here
Quote:
What's more important to your average engerland cricket fan; the world cup or the ashes?

Genuine question.
Ashes every single time, SC. I didn't go to a single WC game but have 3 days of the Ashes sorted. Proper cricket, innit?

It'd be interesting to hear what Joe Root's answer would have been at the start of the year, considering that he had already won the Ashes a couple of times.
Old 18-07-2019, 11:36 AM
I am a Bad Man

RazorsEdge has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold76 View Post
EFA
^^^^

Love it
Old 18-07-2019, 11:37 AM
I am a Bad Man

RazorsEdge has disabled reputation
Quote:

Genuine question.
As I am not a average fan (but a cricket wanker) Both are important....ashes is like the icing on the cake
Old 18-07-2019, 11:38 AM
moving forward

art malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is here
I said on here before the World Cup that I’d rather we won that. Got hissed at. We’ll never have a better chance. I never really gave a toss about one-dayers but this England side are superb. Am going to Edgbaston for day four for a whole day on the boos.
Old 18-07-2019, 11:45 AM

Olympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by art malice View Post
I said on here before the World Cup that I’d rather we won that. Got hissed at. We’ll never have a better chance. I never really gave a toss about one-dayers but this England side are superb. Am going to Edgbaston for day four for a whole day on the boos.
Have some rep.

Ah, except 'You must spread etc.'
Old 18-07-2019, 11:45 AM

aj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is hereaj4england Sam the man is here
For me the World Cup has a far bigger impact across the grass-roots level of sports than an Ashes Victory does. Since Sunday, my club has had approx. 10 new players (adults and colts) contact us about getting involved. That is a massive uptake for a club of any size.

That said, we have a chance to make it arguably Englands best ever summer of cricket with the Ashes. I will be at Day 1 of the Oval and possibly Day 1 of Lords as well depending on work.
Old 18-07-2019, 12:01 PM
Pushing The Sky Away

crystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
If anyone has a spare ticket, please let me know.
I'll fly over from Prague with enough warning.

Going to be a good series, hope the weather holds!
Old 18-07-2019, 12:26 PM

Sydenham Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSydenham Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSydenham Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSydenham Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSydenham Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSydenham Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSydenham Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSydenham Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSydenham Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSydenham Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSydenham Eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalaceSi View Post
I have to say the way Cricket is going the World Cup is going to become the biggest thing in Cricket.

They really need to create a formula where test cricket can become a meaningful competition because outside of the Ashes there is limited interest and the longer game is finding it hard to compete with the sheer excitement and drama of the shorter formats.

Money talks and the viewing public want to watch one day cricket, England winning the world cup hasn't helped either as its fuelled interest in the shorter format. At county level Surrey sell out the Oval for a T20 and its empty for a 4 day game.

I see more and more players only wanting the play the short game and certain countries virtually giving up on the longer game. Test matches in empty stadiums are doing nothing for anyone for example in the Carribbean when the short game has produced so much quality cricket.

Of course the Ashes is the Ashes and that rivalry will continue forever probably as a unique contest but its significance too will be under pressure.

The question is, is the longer game worth saving? Perhaps it'd be better to let it wain and let the shorter game be the future?
Can only assume you don't really follow cricket...

ECB making 50 over cricket a development format from 2020

ICC World Test Championship kicking off in 2019

If you think the significance of an Ashes test is under pressure I can only assume you have never attended one
Old 18-07-2019, 12:39 PM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
Last time I went to an Ashes Test, Bob Woolmer was in for his bowling.
Old 18-07-2019, 07:11 PM
Call me Ishmael

ebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystaljim View Post

Gold dust Jim. Even 5th days are on sale and limited.

But sometimes get Corp tickets offered so if Leeds is okay for you mate, will let you know. Suspect I am far down the ladder though
Old 18-07-2019, 07:12 PM
Call me Ishmael

ebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by art malice View Post
I said on here before the World Cup that Id rather we won that. Got hissed at. Well never have a better chance. I never really gave a toss about one-dayers but this England side are superb. Am going to Edgbaston for day four for a whole day on the boos.
Hisssss
Old 18-07-2019, 07:56 PM
Pushing The Sky Away

crystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcrystaljim came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebyeeckeagle View Post
Gold dust Jim. Even 5th days are on sale and limited.

But sometimes get Corp tickets offered so if Leeds is okay for you mate, will let you know. Suspect I am far down the ladder though
If there is a flight from Prague, I am there.
Old 18-07-2019, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystaljim View Post

Can't Big Merv sort you out, Jim?
Old 20-07-2019, 06:51 AM
Just call me sarge!!

Ardent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is hereArdent Eagle Forever Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalaceSi View Post
I have to say the way Cricket is going the World Cup is going to become the biggest thing in Cricket.

They really need to create a formula where test cricket can become a meaningful competition because outside of the Ashes there is limited interest and the longer game is finding it hard to compete with the sheer excitement and drama of the shorter formats.

Money talks and the viewing public want to watch one day cricket, England winning the world cup hasn't helped either as its fuelled interest in the shorter format. At county level Surrey sell out the Oval for a T20 and its empty for a 4 day game.

I see more and more players only wanting the play the short game and certain countries virtually giving up on the longer game. Test matches in empty stadiums are doing nothing for anyone for example in the Carribbean when the short game has produced so much quality cricket.

Of course the Ashes is the Ashes and that rivalry will continue forever probably as a unique contest but its significance too will be under pressure.

The question is, is the longer game worth saving? Perhaps it'd be better to let it wain and let the shorter game be the future?
Good Post.

Your point on crowds is interesting. Surrey fill the oval for T20 because people are able to go after work. The 50 over format is usually held on weekends or at worst day night format enabling decent crowds.

However the county game is generally midweek and daytime when most potential viewers are at work. Many will not take time to watch. Maybe more county games should have the first two days on a Saturday and Sunday and the the last two days day nighters. Changes like this would bring in more people. However fitting that in with the one day format would be difficult.

There's no simple format. Personally I would like to see the county game split into three leagues of six teams played over five days. To emulate test format. The winner of each format plus the best runner up play off for the overall County champions.
Don't shoot the messenger, but someone tried telling me in the pub last week that we're close to administration again. I wouldn't have it, but he reckoned he had a 'source' and insisted it was true. I don't believe a word of it, but just hearing the 'a' word is enough to send a shiver down my spine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPFC2010
Ha ha, complete and utter bollocks.